Slow Looser????

smilinmomof3
on 10/31/11 4:26 am - MI
I am 5 month post op and have lost 60 pounds. I'm feeling great and happy with the weight loss. But I'm wondering why I have all these stalls? I'll loose a bunch like 6-8 pounds and then I'll stall for 2 or 3 weeks. Then I'll loose big again and stall for 2-3 weeks.
I think that's weird - What do you think? 
I eat mainly protein, very few carbs. I get in 900-1000 calories a day with 70-80 grams of Protein.
And of course my 64+ of water.. :) 

WHOOO BABY - I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

Mom4Jazz
on 10/31/11 4:29 am
I have lost the same way (note - over 20 lbs of my loss was in the 6 weeks pre-op).

The stalls are normal. I am getting 600-800 calories and 90 grams of protein and I still stall about every 20 lbs. I think of stalls as a good time to check myself on calories, carbs, protein, fluids and exercise. If you're doing all these things right, then keep on and the losing should start up again.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

smithmo
on 10/31/11 4:34 am
i also have had my sleeve 5 months.  we had surgery one week apart in gr. with dr. nagle.  I have lost 60 pounds also.  I think it is fine.  I balance my food and do the best I can with life also happening.  Hang in there it isn't a race.  You are doing great.....Monica
smilinmomof3
on 11/6/11 10:52 pm - MI
Monica - I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well. And thanks for the comment that this isn't a race - I seem to forget that every once in awhile..

LynMac35
on 10/31/11 5:05 am
I've been losing the same way since month about 5. It's hard to stay motivated during those weeks. I track everything and work out and it feels like, 'why am I doing this, when the scale doesn't move?'

I think it's related to hormones. But two weeks ago the Nutritionist told me to up calories to closer to 1000, and carbs - she said 100, but I've only managed to get to 65-75 with some fruit which I hadn't had since surgery. So I thought I'd try it her way and see (I was scared to do this because I had been keeping it to under 40g carbs and 800 cal.) and I lost 7 lbs. this past week. We'll see if I continue to loose or go back to the loose 1 week/stall for 3 weeks pattern.

Ugh. It's soooo frustrating though and it's hard to know who to listen to, we'll see - the jury is still out - there are so many ideas I get overwhelmed sometimes. But I do know that we're all different and what may work for some may not work as well for others.

HW 355/ Pre-Liquid Diet 324/DOS 311/Current 212/Goal 140
smilinmomof3
on 11/6/11 10:57 pm - MI
I called my Nutritionist on Friday and she told me almost the same thing. She said to increase my calories to 1000-1200 - But she didn't say to increase my carbs. Carbs are never really mentioned by my doctors office. She did say one way to add some calories is by adding fruit to my yogurt or shakes.
So it must me the adding calories things works. It worked for you - 7 pounds the week that you changed things. I too have been afraid to add calories and carbs. I guess it  has been drilled in my head that you have to eat less to looose weight and how does adding calories = eating less??? 
So I'm going to have to try this new way and see what happens. Thanks for the input! 

Mutha24Boyz
on 10/31/11 5:38 am, edited 10/31/11 5:38 am - NY
So I'm pre-op, but in my meeting with my surgeon today he was explaining to me that "pears" loose slower  than "apples". Meaning if you have more belly (visceral) fat, the stuff between the organs and muscle, you tend to loose faster than if you have peripheral fat ( butt, thighs, arms). So, just stay the course and it will come off. Happy sleeving!

I am 29 years old. 5' tall HW 247 SW 241 Pre-Op 226 Tentative Goal 130
www.theinkdiva.blogspot.com
VegasLAbound
on 10/31/11 6:36 am - Cleveland, OH

I believe this to be true. I am an apple and alot my weight in my stomach melted off in the first 2.5 weeks. And my pre-op diet which consisted of almost 10 carbs per day melted my belly fat as well. I'm stalling now or so it seems but I really agree with your doc.

DarleneR
on 10/31/11 6:11 am
 Hang in there.  Make sure you are getting in your protein/water/exercise and things will start moving in the direction you want them to.  I know how frustrating the stalls can be.  When I was losing I seemed to stall out every 10lbs for a couple of weeks.  It was pure torture but I ended up losing 122lbs at just a little over a year out.

HW/SW/GW/CW
296/277/180/185.6
leigh0768
on 10/31/11 6:31 am - King, NC
Hey there !  I too have had a lot of stalls. I started exercising regularly and that helped a little.  I am 2 months out and have lost a total of 38.6 since my surgery date.  I just keep going.  I do not get discouraged.  I look at the big picture. I have lost 6 inches off of my waist !! Yay !!  And more importantly my BMI has dropped 7 points !  That is amazing and I am very happy with that.  We just have to accept that we are not going to lose the weight that someone with GBP surgery would because we do not have the absorption issues they have.  I for one am very happy I don't.  I feel like a normal person that eats less, and I think that is the way it should be. 

We will get there !!  It will probably be a year from now, but that's ok.  You are in a WAY better situation than you would have been had you not had the surgery. 

I just keep telling myself, "There are NO magic bullets!" 

Most Active