Yucky skin fold infection... advice? (tmi)

kanga003
on 11/6/11 10:45 pm
This is SO gross.

I kinda had a few of these flare up 120lbs ago... but never this long or bad.  I know that I need to have it documented and all, but geesh... I am only 3.5 months out... at MINIMUM I am a year away from any kind of plastics... probably 2-3 years because I haven't decided about babies.... or plastics for that  matter...

Anyway, It is red, smelly and itchy and discusting and and doesn't want to quit.  I can't see my actual doctor until next Tuesday... I know I have options if it is bad enough, like the walk in clinic, or seeing another doctor, but I wanna just try to treat it at home for now...

Any suggestions??? Please :-(
Mom4Jazz
on 11/6/11 10:57 pm
See your doctor and DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. This is the one thing that will get insurance-paid plastic surgery.

No advice on treatment. I am lucky and have saggy (LOTS of saggy) but no major folds. But I do know that the long term solution is to have some of the folds removed.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

natural1iloveme
on 11/6/11 11:12 pm - TX
I would try an antifungal cream/powder like Lotrimin. Im almost 100% sure it's a fungus. Also use the Monistate gel to powder to keep the are afresh & dry, it's awesome!.I even use it after a shower after carefully drying my underarms before applying deodorant.
acbbrown
on 11/6/11 11:05 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I get skin fold infections quite a bit. I took pics and then went to urgent care to get it documented. I've decided I'll just do that every couple months or so since i have a little bit of time until plastics. My surgeon told me unofficially based on how bad my infections gets that kaiser would definitely cover the skin removal at this point (but then they wouldn't cover it later so its not really worth it)

I carry around baby wipes to keep it clean and keep it really dry. Mine is not a fungal infection (had it tested with a culture) so the anti fungals don't work and make it burn like hell. I think powders help a little - I just don't like to get my clothes dirty. I use them when it gets really bad though.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

jadelet
on 11/6/11 11:07 pm
After my c-section the best advice my surgeon gave me to help heal a skin fold (aside from the proper antibiotic or antifungal, depending on the infection) is paper towels. fold up a paper towl into a long strip, and tuck it into the fold. Change it every time you use the bathroom. for the c-section they actually had me use hospital menstrual pads, since there was seepage and I had a HUGE hangbelly, but basically clean, dry absorbant dressings that are disposable and changed frequently helped me heal incredibly quick and with little scarring. I've used that technique since with great results. 

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.?

HW: 280   SW: 277 CW: 196

Simplyme83
on 11/7/11 8:52 am
 I do the same, and it works great for me as well! 
 ~ Simplyme83~          
kanga003
on 11/6/11 11:09 pm
Thnaks guys.... Guess I gotta take pictures... ewww... and just keep it dry.... might look into some powder too I guess...

SO GROSS!!! 
DragonGirl
on 11/6/11 11:33 pm - MN
I used to get these infection/rashes all the time when I was heavier, now when I wouldn't mind getting rashes to get an insurance covered tummy tuck, I haven't gotten one since my surgery!! Anyway, try this stuff for prevention! It really works!!!

http://www.drugstore.com/monistat-soothing-care-chafing-reli ef-powder-gel/qxp139254

I usually can find it at Walmart!

Good luck and happy documenting!

Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
viola_120
on 11/7/11 12:29 am - FL
I get rashes and itching along my c-section scar as well.  Everytime I go to the doctor, it's cleared up--but I do mention it to them.  A couple of weeks ago, a rash popped up and I took a picture for evidence.  I'll take it with me the next time I go to the doctor. Hopefully, I can get a tummy tuck by during this--especially since I was self-pay for the VSG
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views