Marathon this year?

JenJune21
on 1/2/12 11:05 pm - North Las Vegas, NV
Hey everyone!
So I have been thinking.I want to be in a marathon of some type this year. I have looked up all the race/walk marathons here in Las Vegas and I am sure I will be in one this year! It will be my first one and I want to do it to prove to myself I can and it will also give me something to work towards besides just finishing off my last 30 pounds. Has anyone else been in a marathon or doing one this year?

~Jennifer                            
MsMick111
on 1/2/12 11:07 pm - Cleveland, OH
I have thought about doing a half marathon.  I am so NOT a runner so I don't know how realistic it is to get it done this year.  I literally can NOT run a whole mile without stopping right now.  It is on my list of goals though.
Height 5' 7 1/2"  HW/PRE-OP WEIGHT:244  SW:236  CW:184 GW:162
Month 1 - 26 lbs.          Month 4 - 10 lbs.    Month 7 - ?              Month 10 - ?
Month 2 - 6 lbs.            Month 5 - ?            Month 8 - ?              Month 11 - ?
Month 3 - 9 lbs.            Month 6 - ?            Month 9 - ?              Month 12 - ?

JenJune21
on 1/2/12 11:18 pm - North Las Vegas, NV
Neither can I! However this is a goal for me. Even if i walk/jog/run it, as long as i complete it and do it for me I will have proved to myself that i can right? So then the next one I can do better than the first time.

hmmm, I think this will def be something I do this year. And it is exciting it is a goal for you too! Let em know if you decide to and when you do it! I will cheer you on girl!

~Jennifer                            
hrford
on 1/2/12 11:14 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 My plan is to do the Army 10miler next fall, then the Princess Half-Marathon in 2014.  I had wanted to do it in 2013 but my husband will be in Afghanistan and of course I want him at Disney too.  I might do the Marine Corps Marathon in 2012 but I think 1/2 marathons are more my speed.  I live around DC so there are a ton of races to choose from.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

JenJune21
on 1/2/12 11:19 pm - North Las Vegas, NV
Thats awesome! I found a huge list here too. There is some kind of race almost every month here in Vegas. Maybe a race in March?

~Jennifer                            
bigmama3
on 1/2/12 11:46 pm

I've run 4 marathons--3 in New York and 1 in Washington DC.  I was much thinner at the time (i was 155 lbs. first marathon and up to 180 last one).

Running the Marathon was one of the best, memorable moments of my life.  I think you should go for it!!!!  The worst part is the training--you will need to run anywhere from 20-40 miles a week.  We usually "kicked off" our training at the end of May (marathon in NY and DC are in late October/early November).

Good luck!!!!  if you feel overwhelemed, you may want to try a half marathon this year and a full marathon next year.

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

JenJune21
on 1/3/12 12:24 am - North Las Vegas, NV
I think that is a great idea. I only want to do the half and next year go from there!

~Jennifer                            
acbbrown
on 1/2/12 11:52 pm - Granada Hills, CA
If you're not running already, I'd say start with C25K or a similar training program. Sign up for a 5K in about 12 weeks, and see how you feel. Once you do that, you can start looking to 10Ks and 1/2 marathons. Its better to start out with the smaller distances so you can really build your endurance. A marathon is going to require a lot of physical strength and endurance, mental strength/endurance, and a really good nutrition/hydration plan - things you can acquire over time.

You can definitely do it this year if you are committed to a solid training program.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sweetitalian1
on 1/3/12 12:06 am - CA

I started with a 10k in July, then did half marathon in November....lots and lots of training. i walked 12 and ran the 13th mile.  I am doing another half this april but training is curbed til i heal from my brest lift. I am also doing the mud run in june.

I rec to start with a 5k or 10k first, then a half before you jump into a marathon.

tanieanie
on 1/3/12 12:15 am - WI
I am current working a couch to 5 k program with a podcast that I downloaded to my Ipod touch.  It starts out nice and easy and works you up over the weeks.  So my plan is a 5 k in the spring!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 67 views