Carb blocker?

tanieanie
on 1/21/12 8:58 am - WI

Today I went to a convention and one of the guest speakers was a Dr. who treats and prevents disease with all natural products.   Wanted to share this one and get your take on it.

Product Description:

A vegetarian dietary supplement to inhibit carbohydrate absorption.* Carb-Down™ is a unique combination of Phase 2™ brand starch neutralizer, Gymnema sylvestre, and Chromemate® brand chromium polynicotinate. Phase 2™ starch neutralizer is an extract from the white kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris). Research shows that this extract can block the absorption of carbohydrates (from starch) because it contains a protein component that inhibits the enzyme, alpha-amylase from breaking down carbohydrates from foods.* When this enzyme is blocked, the starch that’s eaten cannot be converted to fat.* In a recent double-blind study in humans, Phase 2™ starch neutralizer decreased the percentage of caloric burden from complex carbohydrates by 60%.* The addition of Gymnema sylvestre and Chromemate® is to support appetite control and glucose metabolism.*

Take 1 capsule with water before any meal containing carbohydrates from starch.
90 Vegetarian Capsules

Each capsule contains:
Chromium
(as Chromium Polynicotinate,
Chromemate® brand) . . . . . . . . 100 mcg
Phaseouls vulgaris
(white kidney bean,
Phase 2™ brand) Extract . . . . . . 500 mg
Gymnema sylvestre (leaf) . . . . . .100 mg

Other ingredients: vegetable cellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable stearate.

CAUTION: If you are pregnant, lactating, diabetic or hypoglycemic, consult your health care practitioner before taking this product.

ruggie
on 1/21/12 9:19 am - Sacramento, CA
Interesting. 

As a scientist, I immeditately slot this under "if it really did work that good there would be twenty companies mass producing this".  

The wording of the product "decreasing the caloric burden" is a bit vague, and makes me think that's from some in vitro result and not necessarily something happening in the body.  It's an interesting concept though, if they really do have a product that sequesters starches from alpha-amylose.  That makes me have issue with the name of the product "Carb Down" - people would need to realize that it would do absolutely nothing regarding simple sugars (the Sugar listed on the nutrional information). 

Did the MD you see speak make any claims directly to weight loss?  I'm curious.

Also, I hate seeing companies add chromium to "weight loss drugs" - yes, chromium has an important role in energy pathways, but too much chromium causes chromosomal abnormalities.  

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Barbara W.
on 1/21/12 9:31 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
Unfortunately it sounds too much like yet another diet supplement trying to break into the diet pill market.  I have used so many of these types of proposals that in my opinion if they did work I wouldn't have come to the decision to have the sleeve.

Otterwench
on 1/21/12 9:35 am - Camano Island, WA
 I used this during my Atkins diet a few years back.  It didn't work, and I finally threw them out.  Bottom line is just avoid the carbs!  These so-called blockers won't help you and you'll slow down your progress because you'll be eating carbs that you THINK are being blocked.  Just stick to your program.

~Sandi

HW:  275   Initial Weight:  264  SW: 245  CW: 138  GW:  140
Pre-op:  -19  Mo 1:  -21  Mo 2:  -8  Mo 3:  -11  Mo 4: -7 so  Mo 5: -8  Mo 6:  -10   Mo 7:  -9  Mo 8:  -8   Mo 9:  -7  Mo 10: -10  Mo 11: -2  Mo 12: -6 so far

tanieanie
on 1/21/12 9:38 am - WI
This particular one was in her handout but she didn't speak to it directly.  She mostly stuck to discussing vitamins and such for everything from depression, anxiety, mental alertness, cardio health and energy.  She didn't speak to weight loss at all.  It was very interesting but I was worried that allot of it sounded to good to be true and she was pushing her own line of vitamins that she said is of the highest quality.  I can say most was pretty expensive when I looked at the cataloge.

seanbear66rn
on 1/21/12 11:33 am - Dracut, MA
VSG on 04/06/12
 Snake Oil Saleswoman !!!!!   
Sean  

YOU CANNOT GIVE SOMEONE HELP........YOU CAN OFFER HELP,  IT IS UP TO THE OTHER PERSON TO ACCEPT  OR REJECT IT !!!

landdnurse2
on 1/22/12 3:07 am - Midwest City, OK
LOL @ Sean. Call it like you see it!

HW 321 (9/08) SW 312 (1/11)  Pre-op 280 (11/1) Surgery 270 (12/11)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views