Bad bad me. UPDATE

Jennifer H.
on 3/11/12 12:06 pm - TX
VSG on 01/17/12
The first 3 weeks are HELL!! I was worried about dehydration and I could barely sip my ounce in 15 minutes. I wasn't that hungry the first week, but by the end of the second, I wanted to cry because I was desperate to chew...not eat, just chew!! I am almost 7 weeks now and I can tell you that once you move on to the other phases you quickly forget how rough those first 3 weeks were WHILE YOU WERE EXPERIENCING them, at least that's my experience. If someone asked me how it was to have surgery, I would tell them it wasn't so bad(because in the end it hasn't been), and I can eat my "normal" foods but in much smaller qtys. Normal for me now isn't what normal was when I was hovering at 290. I spent a couple years before surgery aggressively working to curb my food feelings. I worked through my "love affair" with food, but I didn't conquer quantity until now. Its still a daily process, but the more successful you are, the dimmer the memories about how rough those first weeks were. Sorry for such a long response, I just wanted you to know the people here who say this process is great and they wish they'd done it sooner aren't lying or sugarcoating their experience, they are just weighing the short term restrictions against the long term life they've gained. 3 weeks of liquids vs. 20 years or more shaved off your life.

D. Torres
on 3/11/12 1:21 pm - CT
VSG on 03/05/12
Thx I figured that but it would be nice to hear both good and bad, people are really depending on other people experiences. This site has been very helpful to me and I appreciate all the support. I guess I get cranky when I'm hungry...
D.Torres

bigtigger1010
on 3/11/12 8:49 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
I'm a nurse too, holding u to a diff standard is complete BS, anyone with common sense would "know better"! That doesn't make it any easier to deal with! We all struggle with eating issues, OBVIOUSLY! To act like just cuz ur a nurse u don't struggle like everybody else is sheer ignorance on the part of whomever was coming down on u!!! Sorry if I seem a little passionate, but u know we gotta stick together!

Point blank... U made a mistake, u acknowledged it, let ur surgeon know and turned to ur support system here... U did the right thing! U could've been ashamed n not told anyone and done more damage, but u didn't... u owned up to ur mstake and got help and r moving on!

I say good for u, and screw anyone who thinks otherwise... tearing each other down is not what we're here for!!! GO GIRL GO!!! U GOT THIS!!!

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

onemoretry
on 3/11/12 9:18 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
I was the one that brought up her being a nurse and I was not holding her to a higher standard. I was wondering with first hand knowledge why she put herself in such harms way. If you go back and read my post, you will see that I did not beat up on her at all.
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

bigtigger1010
on 3/11/12 11:48 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
There were actually a few different ppl who commented on her being a nurse, but I just don't think that's sumthing that needs to be thrown in her face (not u, but in general)... If anyone has this surgery they should be aware of the risks... and yes she was probably more aware than most (even before the risks were reviewed with her), but that doesn't make us any less suseptable to falling into temptations.... I wasn't trying to call any body out.... just offering support, that nurse or not, we r all human, and even with a wealth of knowledge can make mistakes... there were tons of ppl that responded... but so many were just rude... there are ways to let someone know they messed up (which she already acknowledged) without making the situation worse (Again, not u specifically, but a general overall feel of many of the posts)

M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6

edelu
on 3/11/12 12:32 pm - los angeles, CA
I agree with you.  Knowing what to do is not the problem, for most of us, it's being able to fight ourselves to do the right thing.  Kinda universal.
bigtigger1010
on 3/12/12 1:09 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
thx :-) that's really all i meant and i was just trying to support a friend :-) this isn't an easy adjustment, if it was, we wouldn't be here... lol

Happy966
on 3/11/12 9:00 am, edited 3/10/12 8:01 pm

I'm so proud of you!! You've listened to some harsh feedback, got through the defensiveness and back on track. This is how we get better!!

This addiction is *hard* and it takes a lot to keep our heads in the game. I have to have a plan, and when I don't, I often fail. I think it is easy for us to minimize the dangers of this addiction because the effects take longer to occur, it's legal, we don't get arrested for driving while eating, etc. But people who get sober from any addiction take it very, very seriously.

(((Hugs))) to you!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

moonglo82
on 3/11/12 9:20 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I'm so glad that you're okay, and that you've learned from this experience. Just keep moving forward, and rock that sleeve!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

frisco
on 3/11/12 9:40 am
First........yay!!!!!!

Let this experience be a big part of your foundation for your WL and lifestyle changes.

At your expense..... You created major awareness here and many many pre-sleeved and newly sleeved people have taken note and learned something. That you stepped up and turned your mistake into a lesson for all, and this post here accepting your accountability speaks volumes about your character.

If your a heroin addict..... Yah don't hang out at a heroin den till your deemed recovered or in control of your addiction. I now can resume buying pastries and such for my clients again. Can you imagine buying 3 dozen donuts and not having 4 in the car on the drive back.... Or buying cream puffs and ice cream for my mom. Sure, in Maintanance I have those things on a must do basis that is within my daily numbers and I'm not saying I'm fully recovered.... Just saying I have enough education and tools to handle certain situations now.

To the poster that is also a nurse and says you shouldn't be held to a higher standard..... Sorry, that option doesn't fly with me. I have spent enough time in hospitals to love and respect my nurses. Sure we're all just humans ..... But the medical knowledge/education/practical experience puts you way above most of us that don't know the difference between a staple line and a crosswalk. Just your knowledge on human tissue puts you ahead of us that get lost in a first-aid kit. When a nurse posts a medical response here on OH....... It means more than the clerk or the engineer.... Sorry.... That's the way it is..... Although you may be capable.... I'm not gonna ask you to re-wire my house.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op