13 days post op - able to drink alot

Steven S.
on 4/24/12 11:07 pm - MA
VSG on 04/12/12
Today I am 13 days post op.  i'm now able to drink a protein shake of 8 oz with no problem.  Does this seem normal?  I can't eat very much, but I am able to drink a lot without any problem.  No pain and no restriction.  Does the liquid really travel through the sleeve that quickly?

roger1955
on 4/24/12 11:28 pm - TN
It did for me.  I had VSG on 1/3/12 and was able to do well with liquids by a week or so post op.  When you start mushies and then some chewing you will find that you fill up very quickly, especially when you discontinue drinking a half hour before eating.

Good luck,
Roger
Steven S.
on 4/24/12 11:41 pm - MA
VSG on 04/12/12
Thanks!  It just seems weird that I can drink 8 oz (over 15 mintues) but I can only have a spoonful of applesauce and be full!
Cortnee Z.
on 4/25/12 12:26 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
Hey Steven! I am the same way. I was surprised too cause I would fill up so fast with something so easy to go down but drinks I was having no problem. I still have no problem drinking as long as I haven't eaten recently. 

Hope that helps! don't worry! I think we all freak out because our experiences aren't meeting up with our expectations!!

Hope that helps!! Keep up the good work  

Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
http://mysleeveandme.blogspot.com     MFP: CortneeZ
LunaChic
on 4/25/12 12:30 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
 Hi Steven!

I'm also 13 days post op and I found the same thing odd.  By days 3 and 4 I was guzzling (figure of speech - was sipping all day) 64 oz in no time flat.  I could take down 8-10oz of broth with no problems, discomfort, or pain.  

I started into the mushies (thank god!) and I do see more restriction with thicker stuff like like puréed foods.  I'm still learning my stomach cause I only started mushies yesterday but this morning I just ate a soft boiled egg and a tablespoon of corned beef hash with no problem.  

My doc used a 34fr, and I'm wondering if that's what's making this recovery period so easy for me.  I just hope my stomach isn't too big and that I will feel more restriction once I get to more solid foods.  We will see!!!    :)

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

MyFitnessPal:  MissLunaChic      (Looking for friends - feel free to add me!)

Steven S.
on 4/25/12 12:33 am - MA
VSG on 04/12/12
we have the same surgery date!

Thanks.  I'm similiar.  I can drink broth, tea, a water no problem.  Just pureed food then I'm full really quick (my warning sign is 1 hiccupp).

I had a 32F bougie so were are close in sleeve size.

Thanks for the response.  I just nervous because my Dr told me my sleeve would hold between 4-6 oz, but I can drink 8-10 no problem!

June W.
on 4/25/12 1:51 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
Hey there!

I also can drink 8-10 oz of protein drink rather quickly. I was wondering the same thing. I think we'll both see when we get to more "real" food that we have restriction. At least I hope so!!

kimberleyann
on 4/25/12 12:40 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
I was able to drink pretty much right away as well. Not gulping down liquids but constant sipping was no problem at all.  Mushies really didn't give me any issues either. The restriction came in big time when I started on solids. Good luck.

LunaChic
on 4/25/12 12:42 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
 Hahaha.  That's hilarious!   I usually gurgle when I get full and then have a hiccup or two as well!

I just worry a bit as well because I hear most people can't even fit one egg into their sleeve.  Maybe it was easier to fit because it was soft boiled and really runny?   Who knows. LOL

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

MyFitnessPal:  MissLunaChic      (Looking for friends - feel free to add me!)

RyanJS
on 4/25/12 2:08 am - CA
VSG on 02/21/12 with
I could drink a lot when I was on liquids but found it harder once solids started as water was not my only focus anymore. Finding the time before and after meals makes it much more difficult for me at least. I have found that by starting the morning off right when I wake up with 16oz's gets me on a good pace to get to my goal. If I have breakfast and then drive in to work and start drinking then I can not get to it.

Heaviest Weight: 330 Goal Weight: 175 Current Weight: 150
"Hit Goal in 3 1/2 Months!!!"
"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"
"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 241 views