1 week out - question about Shakes

ERnurseMN
on 5/22/12 11:40 pm - MN

I am 1 week out today and get to start full liquids.  My question is when you make a shake, say that is 8 oz, how long should I take to drink it?  Does that count as a "meal"?  I am confused because my info says to have basically 1/2 cup of whatever for "meals" like spup or pudding but then do my shakes count toward my liquids?????

I think I have lost some brain power in the past week.......seriously!  My family is giggling at me because I am really forgetful!

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
angelrenee
on 5/22/12 11:59 pm - MI
In my book that my nut provided,  It says to have 6 meals.  (either shakes or jello  etc)  But they did tell me that they do not count as your fluids.  She told use in addition to all tha we still need to be drinking our other liquids.

Good luck

sutherngrl94
on 5/23/12 12:02 am - Raleigh, NC
Here's what I did (right or wrong).  I just made sure I had some protein every hour regardless of the time (not very good with that anyway) and kept drinking broth, water, crystal light, eating SF popcicles throughout the rest of the day.  There are also some SF fudgecicles with 2gms of protein in them if you're into chocolate.  I was more concerned with getting dehydrated so I was very dilligent about drinking fluids. 

I totally understand about being forgetful!!  Good thing I didn't HAVE to remember anything for the first 2-3 weeks because it simply wasn't happening.  I would think of something I wanted to do and by the time I got there I had forgotten what it was I wanted to do!  It will get better.  Try doing little brain teaser games.  Maybe that will help. 

Amy

Knit1
on 5/23/12 1:04 am - WA
I am 2 weeks out :) Basically anything on your full liquids that has protein can be counted as a meal. Then sip your clear liquids in between. My NUT did tell me that shakes count toward liquid input as well as protein. I also gauge my liquid by the color of urine. I know I'm not getting enough if it gets less clear. Maybe TMI, but you're a nurse right? Oh yeah, and the forgetfulness - I believe it's because of the anesthesia. It seems to get better, but I'm still forgetting things!
Best to you!
In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet. Erma Bombeck  

Surgery Date: 5/10/12       Ht: 5'2"       Age: 55
ERnurseMN
on 5/23/12 1:08 am - MN
HAHAHAHA yes I am a nurse.  Any bodily function talk does not bother me!  My other post today is about diarrhea ;)

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
Shagdoll
on 5/23/12 1:15 am
At 1 week out, it was taking me as long as 2 hours to drink an 11oz. Premier RTD shake. I know it's a pain to constantly think about it but just sip sip sip as often as you can. It will keep getting a little better as the days go by.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

CarlyFJM
on 5/23/12 1:36 am - WESTLAKE, OH
VSG on 05/18/12
I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but I've read a lot of different information, so hopefully I can help a bit!

This is the kind of diet they want you to follow for liquids:

9:00am - 1/4 cup (2oz) of protein shake
10:00am - 1 cup (8oz) of clear liquid or milk
11:00am - 1/4 (2oz) cup of protein shake
12:00pm - 1 cup (8oz) of clear liquid or milk
1:00pm - 1/4 (2oz) cup of protein shake
2:00pm - you get the idea

Obviously this isn't the easiest thing to follow.  But I would say these are the most important things to remember:
>> When consuming your protein shake, only have about 1/4 cup at a time
>> Separate your protein shake and clear fluids by 30 minutes (this will help prepare you for separating eating & drinking)
>> Most importantly, get in 60g of protein and +60oz of liquids

As for the shakes counting towards you liquids, my nutritionist says they do.  But my personal opinion is to NOT count them.  Because one day you'll replace the protein shakes with food, and you should get used to drinking enough liquid separate from the shakes (if that makes sense).

Also, it can be hard to find protein shakes that give you enough protein per ounce.  For instance, the Atkins ones I would use before surgery have 15g of protein for 11oz.  I would need to drink 4 cartons a day, and only have 1/4 cup at a time.  If you divide 44oz (total protein shakes for the day) by 2oz (1/4 cup), that's 22.  Which means you would have to have 22 separate servings of the protein shake PLUS liquids.  Not happening!

What's the solution?  You should look for protein shakes with much higher protein per ounce.  For instance, I found a powered mix from Target that's delicious, and you get 25g of protein per 8oz when you mix it with water.  However, if you mix it with milk (which I reccomend), you get an extra 8g of protein - so that means 33g of protein per 8oz!  And that's a lot better.

Here is what I do:
I mix 1/3 cup milk (2.5g protein) with half a scoop of the protein powder (12.5g protein).  It's a little bit more than the 1/4 cup they say you should have at a time, but not by much.  Anyway, that means you get 15g of protein per 1/3 cup serving, so you only need to have 4 servings a day!  Plus liquids, of course.

Sorry if I rambled - I just did a lot of research to figure out the best plan for me.  Like I said, I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but I *did* do a lot of planning!  Go to your local vitamin store to find high protein powders - the more the better.  Whey protein is usually the best.  The one I found at Target is just the Target brand, and it's whey protein, chocolate flavor.

Hope this helps!!
Cheers,
Carly F.J.M.

fennges
on 5/23/12 11:11 am - MI
I just went for my pre op with nut yesterday. She suggested adding 1/4 cup non fat dry milk to my shakes. It will give an additional 8 grams or so of protein to each one. Great if you are having troub le getting in your protein. You can add it to sugar free pudding to, but it would also thicken it so you have to be careful.

Sue

Sue     SW 260 lbs. GW 155 lbs.  5 ft. 5 in. 60 years young 
Surg. Date 6/4/12  
CW 11/25/12  189 lbs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views