We Officially Did It!!!!

MHarmon77
on 6/15/12 12:01 am - TX
My wife and both had our VSG's on 06-12. We are home now and both very tired and sore. My wife's experience was way bettter than mine due to my reaction to morphine. I have been walking approximately 1/2 mile and cannot get rid of the gas........ We are definately having issues with our water and protein consumption. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve 64 ozs of water and 60g of protien post surgery? We are worried about dehydration and malnutrition.....
HW: 346 /  SW: 318  /  CW: 265

fran67
on 6/15/12 12:09 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12
I walked and walked and couldn't get rid of it either. And because of the gas, it hurt to swallow so I barely got any water in. By day 5 or 6 you will feel soooo much better and will start to be able to drink more. Just keep trying your best!

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

TonjaTLC
on 6/15/12 12:12 am - Southlake, TX
You just had surgery.... Relax a bit.... It will all fall into place... I did lots of sugar free Popsicles in the beginning. Water is just now getting easier to drink. The gas will pass soon. Hang in there!!
Surgery Date:  April 4, 2012 Offical Starting Weight: 304      
Evymetalmommy
on 6/15/12 1:06 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
I had to sip sip sip on isopure all day everyday.  Even then I wasn't always able to get in the full 64 oz those first few days.  It probably took me till I hit 1 week post op to be able to get it in.   The gas will eventually go away.  Just keep doing what you are doing.  
incredibleshrinkingevy.blogspot.com/ My Blog!!

LiveLoveHappy
on 6/15/12 1:14 am
VSG on 07/10/12
yay! Congratulations to you and your wife. I'm a pre-oper so no advice on how to handle water inake. But looks like you are getting good advice from others. I wish you a speed recovery.

momsy55
on 6/15/12 1:28 am - ME
Congratulations!  Everything I've heard is not to worry, at first, about the protein, but focus on the fluids.  Someone said to suck on sugarfree popsicles, which I found to work well.  I am a big water drinker, but had trouble with water for the first several days.  I found the icy cold of the popsicle and also warm fluids, such as broth, herbal tea, and decaf coffee, worked best for me and went down much more easily.  I you can get down some protein shakes, you'll keep your fluids going and get some protein in the process, but don't fret about it.  Keep moving and the gas will finally go awya, and you'll reduce the risk of blood clots as well.  Once you're making sure you're hydrated regularly, then start looking at protein.  Good luck!!!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Tracasa
on 6/15/12 1:32 am
Congratulations to you both! Just sip water, broth, popsicles, dilute apple juice. Right now calorie counting is not important fluids are. Keep trying to walk for gas, exercise and if needed call the doc for meds to take care of gas although it should go away on it's own. Best of health to you both and welcome to the bench

Knit1
on 6/15/12 2:08 am - WA
Congratulations to you both!!! This is going to be such an awsome journey to take together! I totally agree with what Momsy said. Concentrate on liquids the first few days & then start worrying about the protein. I didn't come close to the required amount of liquid and protein till about 10 days out, so relax and get what you can. It will come along.
Again, Way to Go!
In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet. Erma Bombeck  

Surgery Date: 5/10/12       Ht: 5'2"       Age: 55
Jenfur
on 6/15/12 2:09 am
VSG on 06/25/12
My NUT said you can count the fluids in your protein drink toward the 64oz so if you have something like Crystal Light and mix unflavored protein powder with it, it counts towards both.

roxyrocks808
on 6/15/12 3:13 am - Waialua, HI
VSG on 05/30/12
Congrats to you and your wife, I think its great you get to experience this together and you both have a partner in all this, you are very lucky! You've already gotten some great advice, but don't worry just sip, sip and sip on anything liq. it all goes toward your 64oz per day, as for protein you will get there. I am 2 weeks out today and I am only up to about 40-50 grams just make sure you get your liq and relax. Sorry to hear about your gas some get it worse than others just do what your doing walking will help.