Did your taste buds or food preferences change after surgery?

roobi
on 6/22/12 10:05 am, edited 6/22/12 10:06 am
I find that a lot of my food preferences have changed after surgery. I am 6 months out. I can pretty much eat anything. I have tried foods that have sugar in them. Before I would get sort of a rush or high when I took the first bite of food with a lot of sugar, especially after dieting for long periods of time. I don't get that same rush anymore. I can eat a few bites put it down and forget about it or even throw it away. I just never thought I would ever be like that toward food. Maybe this is how naturally skinny people feel?

Also, for example if I have in front of me a piece of chocolate or chicken, I'd prefer to eat the chicken, which never happened before surgery ever.

I was truly addicted to sweet foods before surgery. I could eat a massive amount of chocolate candy and desserts, and physically not be able to stop myself. Or obsess about my next meal or obsess about sugary food.

Just wanted to share and see if anyone else has the same experience? <br /><br />
Shagdoll
on 6/22/12 10:12 am
I used to have a major sweet tooth before surgery, now I prefer salt. Just dont put a gourmet cupcake in front of me though, or I will be in trouble.
I used to love plain water, cold or room temp. Now it has to be flavored and ice cold. The only time I drink plain ice cold water is during a workout.
I can pass on chocolate but salty stuff, not so much. Cheese crisps are low carb but so high in fat and calories. That is what I have to watch out for now...

Jenn  

WWBD?  

roobi
on 6/22/12 11:02 am
Yes it seemed like your food preferences changed too.  I was never a big salt or chip eater. I guess thank goodness for small favors. I still don't care for the taste of salty food.
cajunlady1958
on 6/22/12 10:57 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
Same here I could live on ding dongs and ice cream. Now just thinking about it makes me nauseated. What did they do to us during surgery lol.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

roobi
on 6/22/12 11:06 am, edited 6/22/12 11:07 am
Yes before surgery I could live on snack foods too and did.  I was a binge eater. I could get two long boxes of little debbie snacks and eat all of them in one setting, and then still eat supper, and not feel sick or even stuffed. I don't know how I did that. I just can't imagine it now or even eating one. I've heard about people saying that sugar made them sick after RNY, DS or even VSG but I never really heard anyone say that they just don't prefer to eat sugary food anymore.
rhearob
on 6/22/12 12:10 pm - TN
 Yes, my food preferences totally changed.  I don't think its my taste buds or anything phsiological that changed, I liken the liquid  and purees to taking a baby through food progression.  Once I was detoxed from all the crap I used to eat I could taste the natural goodness in food again.  The natural flavors in things are awesome.  Steamed veggies - nothing better!  Cottage Cheese?  Its CRACK.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

cajunlady1958
on 6/22/12 12:32 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
Yes I was a little debbie binge eater also. I tried two bites of ice cream about a week ago and had to head for the bathroom. It was horrible. But I am happy to say I learn quickly. I want to try and find some sf sherbert does anyone know where I can get some?

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

ValentineCharmer
on 6/22/12 1:06 pm - TX
 Think sherbert is as bad as having ice cream though.

HW314 / SW292 / CW196.6 / GW175

ib40
on 6/22/12 1:21 pm
There used to be nothing too rich or too sweet for me to eat. Now, really sweet foods make me a bit nauseous. Not as much as I'd like, but I'll take what I can get!

I also find I'm much more sensitive to salt and use much, much less now. Sometimes when we eat at restaurants, the food comes out too salty for me to eat, although no one else at the table thinks it is salty at all. Weird.

smbergie200
on 6/22/12 11:13 pm - Naples, FL
No changes here except I don't like to drink cold water anymore. Room temp feel better to me.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 361 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views