slightly OT: Any advice on faking confidence in a swimsuit?

SleevedLife
on 7/14/12 11:28 pm
I'm going to a pool party for my son's new school tonight.  (Great way to introduce myself to new people.... half naked. sigh.)  I have a suit that covers most of what I want it to cover.  Now I just have to figure out how to appear at ease in it.

I so admire BBW who look awesome in their swimwear (often because they look so confident).  I just don't want to appear as uncomfortable as I will likely feel.  I figure I have to just "act" like I think my body is just fine.  I don't want my kids to pick up on any low-self-esteem vibes...

So I am hoping someone has some good tips or mental exercises or something that might help.  (Something other than hiding in the deep end - LOL!)  Any advice? 

Thanks in advance! 

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Debbie R.
on 7/15/12 12:12 am - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12

Hi,

I share your feelings about bathing suits & social gatherings. I honestly have lots of problems with comparing myself to others & I have spent many years trying to not do this to myself. I am working on accepting me as I am so try this as it worked for me on my recent vacation. I feel so much better physically since losing 60 lbs so as you said in your post "act" like you're a model. To set myself at ease
I picture everone else naked with all their flaws showing. I am very hard on myself so when I do this it helps me see that they are probably not happy with certain parts of their bodies either, but it's not about the outside it's what's inside. Just be yourself & really at the end of the day everyone has flaws & things they don't like about themselves. People I have thought were very confident turned out to be more insecure than me when I got to know them on a different level. So have a blast & picture everyone else naked & giggle to yourself!! Others will want to know what's so funny, but you don't have to tell them!!
I hope this helps!!

wls2011
on 7/15/12 1:26 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 I don't know if there is a way to fake confidence....but when I feel gross or unhappy about my body in a swimsuit or shorts or anything else, I just remind myself that I refuse to be one of those people that sit in jeans in the summer....even when I was obese, I didn't want to be missing out on things because I didn't want to show my body...I saw my mother do that all the time...refuse to go swimming, refuse to go to the beach, refuse to sit outside, refuse to wear short sleeve tops or shorts, forget a bathing suit....she still does this...to me, this is a waste of life....so I would tell myself that....

#1   no one really cares what I look like
#2   everyone else doesn't look too perfect anyway
#3   this is better than being a hermit
#4   at least I can participate in activities and am not physically incapable

Now, it is much easier, because I am not obese, and am in fact, thinner than most I see out there in swimsuits, and I feel I do look half-way decent...and I am actually energetic and moving is easy.....however, the loose wrinkly skin now bothers me...so I still have to have these "self-talks".

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

LeahBea
on 7/15/12 4:52 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
If you figure out a way to fake confidence while in a swimsuit, you let me know!!!

I don't have much advice, just know that you are more than likely not the only person who is uncomfortable being in a swimsuit in front of strangers. Try to have fun!

Leah

Tracasa
on 7/15/12 9:38 am
Hold your head up high and walk into the pool area like you own it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views