Hydration.

danzeppelin
on 9/20/12 6:22 am
VSG on 08/15/12
So... I didn't drink as much water pre OP as I do now...yet I'm more dehydrated post OP, while I drink more water...that don't make no sense! How is it that we are using more water now than before?
I can't pee clear to save my life! I used to. Don't make no sense to me. Are we clearing out toxins?? Hmmm?

INgirl
on 9/20/12 6:42 am
Couple things may be at work: you may feel like you are drinking more as it takes more time/effort? You are early out, it's still work to get in the minimum much less the optimal amount of fluids a day.. Unless you used to track all your beverages/amounts etc.. I'd bet you are likely consuming less liquids overall, and dehydration is cumulative..

Second, you can't forget how much of your daily fluids you body gets from food, which you are most definitely taking in far less of.. 

Emilyr0011
on 9/20/12 7:56 am
How many ounces are you getting in a day? Do you have any other dehydration symptoms except color?

Also, what supplements are you taking? I know the Bs makes mine look like a fluorescent yellow highlighter exploded in the toilet. Since I space my supplements throughout the day I can't go by color anymore for hydration, so I just make sure to measure out my fluids daily.

H - 5'4" SW 260 / CW 133 / GW 150 GOAL in 9 mo 11 days!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/20/12 8:02 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I have the same question.. I never drink that much now - not even close to 64 oz a day. When I am at the gym I can consume 64 oz during the work out but I don't do that every day. On a normal day I will have a cup of coffee, a couple of cups of tea and maybe a glass of water. Doesn't come anywhere near 64 oz. Maybe I am dehydrated but I don't know it? Urine is clearish to yellowish to amberish. Depends on when during the day. I can pee twice or three times in a day normally. Maybe 4 in a pinch.

So do our bodies need more liquid after the surgery? Why does it become so imperative whereas now, pre op, I can get by with a little thirst even - never had to go for IV fluids at any rate...

One answer could be healing and providing our bodies with the required fluids for that. Also if consuming more protein we need more liquids to flush out the toxins? Keeping our mouths busy sipping all day to keep us away from food?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

rhearob
on 9/20/12 9:09 am - TN

Pre-op you actually get most of the fluids you need from diet.  You get a lot of moisture in the amounts of food you eat.  Post op you aren't slamming that much food down your gullet so it becomes imperative to drink your fluids.

Dehydration is the number 1 complication after any weight loss surgery.

See my reply to the OP on some other reasons why water is important to our process.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

CatahoulaLover
on 9/20/12 8:27 am - Kent, WA
VSG on 07/20/12
Your body uses 8lbs of water to break down 1lb of fat. If you don't drink a lot of fluid it takes longer to lose. The more you drink the better your weight loss will be and it will keep you fully hydrated which prevents other issues like nausea and headache.

08/20/12: -40  09/20/12: -21 10/20/12: -13 11/20/12: -5  12/20/12: -13 01/20/13: -10  02/20/13:-8 03/20/13: ?

Paul Carrick
on 9/20/12 8:48 am, edited 9/20/12 1:49 am - Eastsound, WA
VSG on 08/27/12
Thanks. ..That's good to know. It encourages me to get more fluids. Maybe that's why I'm a little slow on the loss lately.

I can get the 64 OZ no problem but I haven't really pushed past that. My problem is that between the exercise and somewhat elevated blood sugars I do still get dehydrated.

Paul...

HW: 360 SW: 342 GW: 175 CW:  Click to find out  
  "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." - John Lennon

rhearob
on 9/20/12 9:00 am - TN

Thats 8 lbs of water for 1 lb of glycogen - not necessarily fat.

Fat can be broken down to replenish glycogen - so they are related.

rhearob
on 9/20/12 9:06 am - TN

Water is the fuel for our weight loss.  It drives practically every process we depend on from ketosis to glycogenesis.

Your liver will use water in the ketosis process to split the fat molecules into the ketones it needs.  Then in the process of glycogenesis it will use massive amounts of water to dissolve glycogen and store it in your tissues.

Keep in mind, 64 ounces is a MINIMUM amount of water you need.  NOT A GOAL.  Your goal amount of water should actually be 1/2 of your body weight in ounces of water - so if you weight 200 lbs you should be getting of 100 ounces of water to be properly hydrated- not 64.

Getting only the 64 ounces will result in your weight loss being slow, and maybe even stalling.  Your body will work to hold onto the water it has - and you will retain water weight.  I find that the more I drink the more I lose.  Over the past week on the same number of calories, I put on about 2 lbs.  I did that while not drinking as much.  As soon as I started getting plenty of water again I took those pounds off in a day.  Yesterday I had 128 ounces before 4 pm.  Lost 1 lb.

Paul Carrick
on 9/20/12 11:27 am - Eastsound, WA
VSG on 08/27/12
These are things I did not know. I The information is fantastic and corrected my errors in thinking (I was afrid that if I drank too much I'd retain it). I  will be drinking more (drinking 16 OZ as I write). That's probably why I'm stalled today (eating right getting exercise but no change from yesterday). Wow 20 cups a day. I better get drinking.

Paul...

HW: 360 SW: 342 GW: 175 CW:  Click to find out  
  "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." - John Lennon

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op