do I SMELL like a protein product?

Christine Heusinger
on 12/16/12 8:03 am - GA

Is it possible that I am excreting proteins through my skin with all the protein drinks; protein chicken broth and even protein shots? The other night I over blanketed myself and when I woke up the next morning with perspiration around my neck I SWEAR I could smell protein.  I've noticed it a time or two since then. It is NOT a pleasant experience. 

Has anyone else thought they smelled like that? Is it all in my head and I'm actually just losing my mind? 

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

bigred_z
on 12/16/12 9:30 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

It sounds possible.  Protein is excreted by the kidneys, and so is alcohol.  But after a good bender, I know I sweat beer!!! 

Either way, it's better than a fat sweaty smell!  Embrace your protein night sweats, go shower, and continue to rock that sleeve!!

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Machelle.K
on 12/16/12 11:28 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

Your right, I have smelled it especially after I get out of bed in the morning. I just couldn't put my finger on what it was, uck?

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Jodysdreams
on 12/16/12 12:03 pm
I wish I smelled like protein!!! I can't seem to get enough in me..how do you get protein shots? From the doctor?
But smelling like protein is for sure!! My ex husband was a professional Body builder and when he was dieting to get ripped before a show, he smelled like tuna fish!! Lol!

Jody

Christine Heusinger
on 12/16/12 10:59 pm - GA

Rite Aide carries the protein shots and I imagine a health store would as well.

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

Calking
on 12/16/12 1:53 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I am wondering if you are smelling protein or something else such as ketosis.  "When the body is in ketosis, subjects often smell of acetone. Some find the smell offensive as acetone is the same chemical responsible for the smell in paint thinner, nail polish remover, and carburetor cleaner."  This is an excerpt from the following website ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wi****tosis 

You get to this stage by eating very low amounts of carbohydrates.  

Just something to think about.  I know many on here have had this issue with odors from their bodies and even their breath.  It's something you have to deal with while in the weight loss phase.  Likely gets better in the maintenance phase when you start increasing your carbs.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views