Are there any good unflavored proteins that r not whey?

Deyzmommy
on 12/29/12 11:49 am - NY
I can't stomach whey protein! Also need something inexpensive
Calking
on 12/29/12 1:35 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

You asked for inexpensive.  My question to you is whether or not that was the restriction when getting the whey protein?  If so then the answer may be that you are getting a Whey Protein Blend or Concentrate.  Have you tried anything that is a 100% Whey Protein Isolate, they are easier to stomach.  

As for inexpensive.  Buy a Gold Member card from GNC locally or on their website.  It costs $15 for a year and you get 20% off purchases in the first week of any month.  Also on the day of purchasing the card if it doesn't fall within the first week.  About Time has many flavors and is 100% all natural with only 4 ingredients.  100% Whey Protein Isolate, Natural Flavors, Xanthan Gum (a thickener but this mixes very well and isn't close to being thick ... not even as thick as chocolate milk can be), and Stevia (natural sweetener made from plants not man made).  It is 100% lactose free.  It sells for about $35 but with your 20% off you can subtract $7 making it only $28.  The container makes about 30 servings so it is slightly less than $1 per day.  

Flavors at GNC include, Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, Peaches and Creme, Cinnamon Swirl, Birthday Cake, and Mocha Mint.  These are fairly subdued flavors and I have only tried Chocolate and Strawberry so far.  I love blending frozen strawberries into both of those flavors.  I also use almond milk and no****er.  Since the flavors are subdued they are close to unflavored.  I add so many things to them that I substantially change the flavor of any protein powder into what I want and like.

I add things like frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, unsweetened cocoa powder, unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder, stevia, sf syrups (gingerbread, hazelnut, vanilla, caramel, pumpkin pie), Hills Brothers Double Mocha SF Cappuccino or French Vanilla Cappuccino.  Sometimes I mix and match the above.  This morning I started with a vanilla protein mix and added French Vanilla Cappuccino, Dark Cocoa (Hershey's), 1 cup frozen strawberries and stevia as the cocoa powder is unsweetened.  It was a delightful chocolate strawberry shake.  The mix was there and nutritionally functional but added nothing to the flavor as it is a mild vanilla flavor which is easy to cover up.  Another favorite combination is a chocolate gingerbread.  Yum.

Also if you buy one and don't like it you can return it with a shipping label to your local GNC in store for a full refund.

Sorry I know nothing about non-whey protein mixes as my nutritionist says that whey protein is the best utilized by the body in much the same way as calcium citrate is better than calcium carbonate.  And to top it off the Whey Protein Isolate is the best of the Wheys .

Good Luck.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

jarabacoagirl
on 12/29/12 2:15 pm
VSG on 12/17/12

Jay Robb unflavored egg.  (It's not cheap though.)

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

bigred_z
on 12/29/12 11:46 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that other sources of protein are not well absorbed.  So other sources would be pointless for us as WLS ppl. 

On the bright side, depending on what stage you are at, you can get your protein from food only.  With eggbeaters, cottage cheese, and meat selections...I meet my protein requirements with diet alone most days.

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Urseo
on 12/30/12 1:33 am - IL
VSG on 09/11/12

Whole Foods stocks an unflavored soy protein powder.  I find it gritty and unpalateable, but YMMV.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 74 views