Can someone please explain.....

KnitsByMama
on 2/28/13 5:03 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

Why a sugar alcohol is considered "not a real carb" and therefore subtracted from total carbs if counting net carbs?

I'm looking for the science behind it. Do we not digest it? Is it quick burning? 

I keep being told to subtract it from the total carb count if I'm counting "Net carbs" (which I don't usually do, but my NUT suggested something to me this week very high in sugar alcohols and told me to subtract it from total carb count). What I want to know is WHY do we get to subtract it? 

I'm not confused about carbs vs net carbs, I'm confused WHY there is such a thing as net carbs when it comes to Sugar Alcohols specifically. 

Does any of that make sense?!? 

Deckeriv
on 2/28/13 5:34 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

I am curious about the same thing. Thanks for asking.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Keith L.
on 2/28/13 6:08 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Its because like fiber sugar alcohols molecules are either not digestible or only partially digestible. Here is an article I posted the other day about it:

http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Deckeriv
on 2/28/13 7:46 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

So Keith, when my NUT says 50 carbs a day, do I use the net carb number or total carbs? For instance, my protein shake has 17 carbs but 7 grams of fiber. Does that mean it's really only 10 carbs effective?

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Calking
on 2/28/13 9:24 am
VSG on 05/31/12

I always used the net carbs so I personally would say 10 is your answer.  Other people on here are more strict and go by total carbs and not net carbs.  What you should do is talk with your nutritionist or surgeon and ask whether they would like to see you use total carbs or net carbs.  My best guess since most people on here will say to stay below 40 carbs per day that your nutritionist want you to use total carbs.  That is only a best guess.  She/he perhaps said 50 so that you use total carbs.  

By the way you might want to double check with your nutritionist on your protein shakes.  Obviously every one has there own opinion but my nutritionist said that my protein shakes should have the following 4 criteria.

1) Whey Protein Isolate (best bioavailability)

2) 5g or less fat

3) 5g or less carbs

4) 24g (about) of protein per serving.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Keith L.
on 2/28/13 10:27 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
It depends. For fiber I do but for sugar alcohols I give myself a buffer.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

frisco
on 2/28/13 10:54 am
On February 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM Pacific Time, Deckeriv wrote:

So Keith, when my NUT says 50 carbs a day, do I use the net carb number or total carbs? For instance, my protein shake has 17 carbs but 7 grams of fiber. Does that mean it's really only 10 carbs effective?

That would be more of a question for your NUT to answer......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

MsBatt
on 2/28/13 6:56 am

Your post made me curious, so I consulted my friend, Google. Here's some things I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2379777  This is an abstract from a study, but the conclusion is "...little calorie saving can be expected from the chronic consumption of these sugar alcohols in so-called sugar-free products."

I went on to read several different sites, and they generally agreed that sugar alcohols are only partially absorbed---but still, that means they're not 'free' foods. Different sugar alcohols have different calorie values, ranging from 2.5 to 3.5 calories per gram, versus sucrose's 4 calories per gram.

I don't count carbs, but if I did, I would count everything but insoluble fiber.

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/13 3:39 pm

After a bit of my own research, I have come to the same conclusion.  It doesn't hurt that it also follows what my doctor wants us to do.  The problem is that nutrition labels rarely designate the different types of fiber, so it is just easier to count everything and be on the safer side. 

MacMadame
on 3/1/13 4:57 am - Northern, CA
On February 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:

Your post made me curious, so I consulted my friend, Google. Here's some things I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2379777  This is an abstract from a study, but the conclusion is "...little calorie saving can be expected from the chronic consumption of these sugar alcohols in so-called sugar-free products."

I went on to read several different sites, and they generally agreed that sugar alcohols are only partially absorbed---but still, that means they're not 'free' foods. Different sugar alcohols have different calorie values, ranging from 2.5 to 3.5 calories per gram, versus sucrose's 4 calories per gram.

I don't count carbs, but if I did, I would count everything but insoluble fiber.

Right... so some sugar alcohols have 3.5 calories per gram AND so do some carbs! (4 calorie per gram is just an approximation). Now, some sugar alcohols have .5 calories per gram. I would say not counting those might be okay.

But how the heck can you tell? I've been trying to find out how many calories are in "zero calorie" Vitamin Water for about three years now. It has both crystalline fructose and erythinol both of which have *some* calories but it doesn't say how much of each. All I know is that 8 oz. has less than 5 calories because they say a serving is zero calories and you can't do that if it has 5 calories or more.

This is another way of saying that a 20 oz. bottle of Vitamin Water Zero probably has about 10 calories in it. Not zero.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views