This gas is no joke!!

maeich1
on 3/7/13 9:27 pm - MD
Postoperative day 3 and these gas pains are killing me!! The pains are in my shoulders and I can't get any relief. Any suggestions!!??

Nanato2
on 3/7/13 9:39 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Walking around as much as you can helps , GasX strips. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

rhinorg
on 3/7/13 9:47 pm

You might try Beano or Gas X, or your doctor might help...it seems certain foods or etc cause more than others

phred
on 3/7/13 9:49 pm - CO

Veni, vidi, flati.

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

PhillyGator
on 3/7/13 10:03 pm

I've actually been having the exact same problems!

Walking does help significantly for me (as well as after my first BM), but it's gotten to the point where I don't even want to drink anything because they come in about 15 minutes.

The Gas-X does help a bit, but I think it's going to just be one day at a time unfortunately.

http://weightnolongerajourney.blogspot.com/

grannymedic1
on 3/7/13 10:11 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

Walking a ton, heating pad, they gave me some infant gas drops in the hospital, I also tried an ice pack, too. The shoulder pain is excruciating and I feel for you. Try every thing you can but the walking is the way to get the gas out the fastest. Also, to dull it a bit keep on your pain meds until it is tolerable. Some people really suffer and others not so much. You happen to be one of the "lucky" ones. You have my sympathy. All I can tell you is that normally the gas pains resolve before the end of the first week and frequently sooner. The very worst may resolve sooner, too. There are no reports of anyone actually dying of this but I know I came pretty close, lol.

Good luck, my dear.

Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Watson
on 3/7/13 10:25 pm
VSG on 06/08/10 with

Walk, walk and...walk. That get it going for me when I have gas pain. I haven't taken anything for gas pain. I have heard of people have taken Beano or Gas-X. Ask your doctor if it's okay to you pos-op, I presume your doctor will let you use Beano and/or Gas-X or something else to use for gas pain(s).

Highest Weight: 565 pounds (around 1999), Highest BMI: 94

Pre-op Weight: 476.40 pounds (2 weeks before {05/25/2010} VSG surgery), Pre-op BMI: 79.3

Lowest Weight: 153.5 pounds (as of 07/10/2013), Lowest BMI: 25.5

Current Weight: 350.75546 pounds (351 lb 0 oz./159.1 kilograms (as of 04/22/2019), Current BMI: 58.3

Tjodalv666
on 3/7/13 10:37 pm, edited 3/7/13 10:37 pm

My girl is a Physical Therapist and the day after surgery, she was making me walk with her around the unit and I was noticing those shoulder pains too. She said they were from the gas. I had never known! While painful, it was very interesting and yes PAINFUL...omg...She said to me 'if you have to, just let them go!' lolol They lasted a couple of days, I myself didn't take anything as I let it...*clears throat* 'run it's course* heh. But yeah, like the other prson said beano orr uhh, whatever the other thing they said, lol

Lisa1023
on 3/8/13 1:03 am
VSG on 03/05/13
Warm compress on the upper abdomen, by the breast bone, should relieve the shoulder pain actually since the pain is actually radiating fom the abs to the shoulders, not actually in the shoulders.
maeich1
on 3/8/13 7:15 am - MD
Well I'm now in the ED. I had a fever and tachycardia when the home nurse came to visit. I'm praying there isn't a leak
Most Active