alcohol after surgery

ababenoit
on 3/22/13 3:21 am - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
I'm having surgery on april 8th. I'm very new to all of this... Trying to learning of the post op diet options. I have a very special occasion coming up on may 19th. Is drinking any type of alcohol out of the question?
Keith L.
on 3/22/13 4:27 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You should wait 1 year after surgery to consume alcohol. I was in a similar situation to you. I had a glass of wine and it went ok. Its not something I recommend. You will want to stay away from beer or champaign and anything with a sugar based mixer. NO OJ or Lime Juice. Red wine would be your best bet and keep it to an extreme minimum. Something also to be weary of is transfer addictions. Many people on here have started consuming alcohol early and now they find themselves alcoholics. Just be very careful and spend some time to fully understand the risks. You should also talk to your surgeon about it as they are the final word on your post-op diet.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

ababenoit
on 3/22/13 4:29 am - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
Thanks!
Rubielee
on 3/22/13 6:22 am - OR
VSG on 02/14/13

I'm a little over a month out, last weekend I took a sip a friends ****tail, it was made with Crystal light and vodka..OH MAN did it burn.  So not worth it.  We have to remember that even though our scars on the outside are healing, our actual stomach is still healing and so fragile.  It's been hard for me..I'm single, very social and a big part of life is going for happy hour, meeting for brunch...bbq's.  And I can still enjoy all that, but not with ****tails anymore..  It's an adjustment for me, but one that I think is well worth it.

Good luck!

fat_chance
on 11/25/13 3:30 am - NY

HONESTLY, I AM TWO MONTHS OUT, MY BDAY WAS THIS WEEKEND, I HAD A COUPLE DRINKS WITH FRIENDS AND DID WELL. I HAD A SEX ON THE BEACH. I WOULDNT RECOMMEND IT BECAUSE ALCOHOL HAS A LOT OF SUGAR, BUT AS I SAID I TOLERATED IT VERY WELL

linzeelee
on 11/25/13 3:36 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

You should definitely ask your surgeon. Mine said alcohol was okay after 30 days. I waited longer than that, but I do have an occasional glass of wine. I plan my calories/protein/carbs very carefully when I do - it's hard to fit those extra calories in. Be aware that alcohol will probably treat you very differently after surgery. I can get almost drunk on two glasses of wine.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views