Hair... To cut or not to cut....???

christinahelena
on 4/1/13 10:39 am, edited 4/1/13 3:36 pm - CA

So, still dont know how to post any pictures, but a general question for the  ladies. I think I'm mostly done with the hair  loss.... Coming upon 6 month mark and lost a good half my fine hair . Started coming out in huge wads at 3 month through 5 then has slowed to maybe double normal shed when I comb.
Along with the loss has been breakage.
I have long hair , always said I'd cut it into a style when I lost weight....unfortunately I don't think anything can make it look good right now, but ...y question is this
IF you cut it around 6-7 months out when loss had slowed , did it continue to break off or did it stabilize? Guess if it's going to keep breaking I'll leave it this length and have it break from here, instead of cutting it and have it break even shorter, if that makes any sense.
Feedback ?
Thanks much
Christina

cajunlady1958
on 4/1/13 12:09 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
Its hard to say because everyones hair behaves differently. I cut my hair short around 5 months to get used to it. I use garnier fructis fall fight spray. Kind of keeps it from breaking off as much.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

pineview01
on 4/1/13 2:14 pm - Davison, MI

I am at the same point!  I had my band removal surgery 6 months ago and am losing from that and a double whammy. I was sleeved 1/22/13 so may have much more hair lose coming my way.  It is really thin and used to be so thick I couldn't do much with it. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MacMadame
on 4/1/13 4:10 pm - Northern, CA

Cut it! You won't be sorry!

Btw, it's not "breaking". What's happening is that new growth is pushing dead hair out of your scalp. The hair died all at once when you first had surgery and then in the first month when you were on the liquid diet and taking in very little calories.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

christinahelena
on 4/2/13 1:53 am - CA

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Actually mine is breaking a lot in addition to the falling out, it's just very dry and damaged . What's left has made my hair overall shorter anyways due to breakage. I've always had long hair, never shorter than collar bone length and usually half way down my back BUT I've had a ponytail for 14 years as a stay at home mom. I swore once i lost weight I'd get s cute style for once... As I've just been a frump! Nice color, but I rarely wear it down because it's in the way.

My fear us that I don't have enough now to do anything cute period, though the scraggly thin ponytail is  really awful, and wearing it down will look better and cover my scalp better and i could fluff it up more with product.

Hubby is not a fan of short short, but maybe lopping it to shoulders and wearing it down will be better. Definitely for me the worst part, hard to enjoy my thinner self fully when my hair looks soooo bad! I hope it grows back... At this point I'm skeptical!!

I have an appointment tomorrow evening to color it.... I was going to wait but I'm getting grey and mousy all at the same time and I can't handle it!

We'll  see what I'm brave enough to do! I see little girls with thin wispy hair, and think it looks so cute on them, why can't I Rock it?

Ugh!

Christina

MacMadame
on 4/2/13 1:38 pm - Northern, CA

If you are also getting breakage, is it possible you have some nutritional issues going on? 

I cut mine and it instantly looked and felt healthier. Oh, and when it grew back in? It mostly came back brown so I have way less gray! I think that's because of all the supplements I take now!

christinahelena
on 4/2/13 3:24 pm, edited 4/2/13 3:26 pm - CA

Had labs done and things look okay ( but not super extensive labs) I think I need to add fish oil to get healthy fat in because I eat very low fat... No beef, mostly fish and shrimp. I'm going to pm you , would love some fitness training advice.Thanks..... I have a hairstyle magazine in hand and found a few cute ones! I think mine may come back in wavy...

im worried though because I'm on the edge on menopause at 49, and hear you can lose a lot of hair then too... Scarey!!

christina

MacMadame
on 4/2/13 3:45 pm - Northern, CA

Mine was SUPER straight before and now it sort of, kind of has a wave. I'll take it!

Definitely I'd add in some sort of omega-3 oil tablet in the early days. The early diet is so low fat.

AdeanaMarie
on 4/1/13 11:27 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I say cut it.  So much easier to hide some of the hair loss with shorter hair.  I just cut mine super short again over a year post op.  I wanted to start fresh and it looks way fuller now.  The hair does grow back.  Find a fun hairstyle and run with it!  A fun color too.  Mine is the short pixie like Michelle Williams had and super blonde.  Love it!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

christinahelena
on 4/2/13 1:59 am - CA

I saw your picture and yours is cute!!!

christina

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views