Birth Control Question

ShelleKarena
on 5/21/13 5:58 am
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I am going to the dr for my annual today and I have to get back on birth control before surgery and would like to know if there are any types that we are not supposed to use ie the pill.   I got pregnant when I lost 40 lbs a couple of years ago, I can only imagine the Fertile Myrtle consequences of losing more than 100 

sunny_disposition
on 5/21/13 6:06 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

My surgeon actually recommended I get on the pill at my 3 month appointment, and said I should have done it sooner!  I guess the increased fertility is no joke!

chunkymonkey1991
on 5/21/13 7:07 am

the shot (depo provera) is always a good option

Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/13 7:21 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

If you go on the pill, be sure and use a back up method at the same time! I've heard of a lot of people getting pregnant even ON birth control especially after surgery! It has happened quite a bit.  Good luck!

sleevegirl
on 5/21/13 7:25 am - Austin, TX

Double check with your WLS surgeon. I've heard most folks, myself included, have to go OFF of all birth control 30 days BEFORE surgery. Just make sure, it could be different for your surgeon, of course.

Hubby got snipped 2 weeks before I had my WLS so it was a non-issue after he went back for the 2nd recheck and all was firing blanks. LOVE that. I ended up with an ablation a year later, so even better :)

Most folks are told to double up on birth control for the first year or so. Do the pill AND condoms, for instance because your fertility really is increased and it's not a great idea to get pregnant the first year.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

ravenbrown
on 5/21/13 7:56 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

We had been using condoms for years (except when trying to conceive), so I never had a BC discussion with my surgeon.  I have the Paragard IUD now.  With the exception of the increased flow, which is really disgusting, it's super great.  Highly recommend it if you don't want any more babies.  We're not certain if we're done, but, once we are, hubby is getting snipped.

Edelge
on 5/21/13 1:06 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

My Dr said don't trust the pill alone after surgery, too many people get pregnant when taking it as directed.  We are done with babies so hubby got snipped a week ago and we've been using condoms since surgery and will use them till he gets the results back he's firing blanks.  If you are for sure done with kids, I'd recommend that.  If you might want or do want more go for the shot or condoms.  My husband had the vasectomy because I'm only 35 and don't want to be on hormonal birth control the next 15 years.  I'm too scared of the cancer risks. 

TSinNC
on 5/21/13 9:21 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

I had an IUD put in the week before my VSG, and it's been fine.

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

Jessica O.
on 5/22/13 1:57 am - Ann Arbor, MI

I have had the Mirena IUD since July of 2010.  It's been great so far!  I am definitely an advocate for IUDs.  My co-worker has the Paraguard (copper) and her periods are so utterly heavy, she fills up her diva cup in an hour.  Heavy bleeding is common with the cooper IUDs.

Sleeved on 11/23/11 at 302lbs (309 sw.) 5'6" / 41 years old

Most Active
Recent Topics