Does anyone regret getting the sleeve?

Beyl689
on 5/29/13 4:11 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13
I am torn between the sleeve and rny. I should be scheduling my surgery pretty soon and I want to make sure I make the right decision. I've done so much research on both and I'm still torn! I'm afraid that if I get the sleeve that I won't be happy with the results and its my only chance to do this so I want to make the right decision the first time. I know that it's only a tool. But I just want to succeed with this. Anyone have the sleeve and wish that you would have gone all of the way and did the bypass?
angieg0410
on 5/29/13 4:13 am - OK

Never 1 second of regret.

~Angie~

Starting weight: 267
Goal weight: 140

kellied77
on 5/29/13 4:29 am

I don't think regrets will be found on this board.  People who keep up on here are newbies or have had extreme success.  My mother had the sleeve and lost 70 lbs, gained it all back and revised to the DS.  She wasted her money on the first surgery so had regrets.  She loves sweets and can not put them down.  She had the DS 9 months ago and is down 125 lbs, but not without sacrifice.

I myself am a volume eater.  IT is not hard for me to say no to sweets.  If I had a problem with junk food, I would have probably gone with a bypass (DS or RNY). 

I know there are statistics that show a measured amount of people that do not succeed with the Sleeve.  From all the research I've done, It is my opinion that each procedure should fit the eating problems/habbits for each individual.

Continue to research.  You will choose the right one for you.

"The things we fear are undefeatable, not by their nature, but by our approach"

VSG on April 24, 2013 / 36 years old, 5' 7"  M1:28 M2:11 M3:14 M4:6

nmrudge
on 5/29/13 5:32 am - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

I've not had one ounce of regret.  With that said, keep in mind I'm only 6 months out and am still losing.  I've haven't reached maintenance yet.  However, I don't see keeping the weight off once I do get to maintenance being an issue.  They way I look at it is, either surgery will be successful if you follow the program and make the necessary life changes.  Let me ask you this, why are you not also worried about not being happy with the rny results?  Why only the sleeve?  It's possible to gain weight back with that procedure as well. 

I'm of course biased because I chose the sleeve.  For me it was an easy decision.  It came down to one thing.  I didn't want any of anatomy to be rerouted and have all the possible complications that come with the bypass.  I knew I wold put forth the required effort to make the sleeve work and keep the weight off.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Edit Delete

MsBatt
on 5/29/13 5:38 am

If I was forced to choose between the Sleeve and the RNY, I'd choose the Sleeve every time. Fortunately, those were not my only options, and I chose the DS. (*grin*)

Seriously, keeping your pylorus is a really good thing, and, if you don't get the results you want ot need, it's MUCH easier to revise a Sleeve to a full DS, since the Sleeve is the stomach part of the DS. But if you have a 'one per lifetime' clause in your insurance re WLS, you definitely need to research the DS BEFORE you make your decision.

You might also want to post this on the DS board, as there have been several folks who've revised from the Sleeve to the DS.

Jackie T.
on 5/29/13 5:48 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

It all comes down to a personal decision for you but you did not put any statistics about yourself.  How much do you need to lose?

With both surgeries you can put the weight back on, but the poster above is correct that you should do the surgery based on your eating habits and also how well you will take care of yourself afterwards.  If you do the RNY they will reroute your insides and you will have to take vitamins and minerals the rest of your life, there are certain types of foods that will bother you more than others.  With the sleeve they will take part of your stomach but you will not have the mal absorption issues that you will have with the RNY.

Either way you will need to change your relationship with food and do the work.  You can succeed with both and you can fail with both.  It is all up to you to do the work.  Both surgeries help you to succeed if you put in the work, especially after you hit goal.

Granted I am only 5.5 months out but I would not change a thing.  Talk to your surgeon's office about your concerns.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Beyl689
on 5/29/13 6:10 am, edited 5/29/13 1:08 pm - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13
I am 23, I started at 306 lbs before I started my nutritionist visits, I am not down to 283 as of today. I would like to be down to at least 150 possibly more. I have issues with heartburn but in not sure if that would classify as 'gerd'. I stay pretty active when my asthma allows, I have a 4 year old son. My eating habits, I generally eat pretty healthy..I eat a lot of salad, could live off of grilled chicken. Lots of veggies and protein. I have totally cut out white carbs. Before I started seeing my nutritionist I ate a lot of carbs but I still enjoyed my meat and salad an veggies. I think my main problem was portion control and eating junk out of boredom. I feel like I might need the discipline of the rny to keep my eating habits the way I've made them. On the other hand I'm afraid of the malabsorption of it. I don't worry about taking the vitamins but I don't want my hair to fall out ( I know that sounds stupid but I'm a stylist and my hair is my glory ha) the sleeve on the other hand I just feel afraid of it stretching out and gaining back even though I know that they both can stretch. I'm just totally confused!
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/13 6:37 am
On May 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM Pacific Time, Beyl689 wrote:
I am torn between the sleeve and rny. I should be scheduling my surgery pretty soon and I want to make sure I make the right decision. I've done so much research on both and I'm still torn! I'm afraid that if I get the sleeve that I won't be happy with the results and its my only chance to do this so I want to make the right decision the first time. I know that it's only a tool. But I just want to succeed with this. Anyone have the sleeve and wish that you would have gone all of the way and did the bypass?

No, of course not.

First of all if I was going to go all the way with WLS it would be DS, never RNY.  RNY is very unforgiving long term.  When it messes up and many times it does (dilated pouch, stoma, bowel obstructions, RH, etc.) there is no fix.  You malabsorb calories for 6-24 months and your surgery is done.  With DS you malabsorb calories forever.

Nonono... I wouldn't dream of getting RNY.  You aren't going to malabsorb calories more than 2 years and you will be on the same maintenance diet as sleeves.  What really is your question here?

andersmama
on 5/29/13 7:36 am

I love my sleeve!!!  I loved junk food and sweets, but I love being a normal weight far more!  I'm very happy with my decision!!!

busboss1
on 5/29/13 8:22 am, edited 5/29/13 8:23 am
VSG on 12/18/12

Knowing what I know now after 5 1/2 months, I'd do the sleeve all over again in a heartbeat. I only wish I'd done it sooner. Surgery was a piece of cake. Healing was quick. I was up about 5-6 hours after walking in the hallway. One thing you must remember is which ever surgery you choose, it's only a tool. You have to actually put the work in. Anyone who tells you different is NOT being honest. I know people who've had every weight loss surgery available, sleeve, lap band, gastric bypass. Some have kept it off and some haven't. I love what I chose to do and I'm glad I chose it. My reason was nothing foreign in my body and nothing got re-routed. I only take a multi vitamin, calcium and B12. I've lost 68 pounds (so far, not done yet) and I feel amazing. After you heal, the "bad" food goes down easily. You either want to lose weight or continue the romance with food, doesn't matter which one you choose. My personal physician only signed off if I went to see a therapist and at first I was like, WHAT! It's been a good thing for me in more ways than one. I've got a high stress job and other personal stresses which I know caused me to eat way too much comfort food. Whatever you choose, therapy may help you to figure out what caused you to keep eating until you got where you are. Good luck with whichever you choose!

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views