My 10 steps to successful surgery. What do you think?

Lauren Vento
on 8/1/13 7:33 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

I am in the process of becoming a Certified Wellness Coach with an emphasis on helping people successfully use the tool of WLS.  I wrote what I believe to be my 10 key steps to being successful.  Will you check them out and let me know what you think?

http://happiestwomanalive.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-10-steps- to-successful-weight-loss.html

Thanks!  And if you have anything to add, I would love to hear what you think are YOUR biggest steps!

Certified Life Coach & WLS Support Coach

Grantus
on 8/1/13 8:24 am

I can't really argue with any of that. Good advice!

Maria712
on 8/1/13 8:26 am - PA
VSG on 03/14/13
I'm only four and half months out from surgery but I think everything you said was completely true and will help a lot of people. Thanks for sharing. I can't think of anything to add either.
CPA_Loser
on 8/1/13 8:47 am, edited 8/1/13 3:44 pm - WA
You look fantastic! Thanks for sharing - very insightful and encouraging to hear from someone who has been on both sides
tysmom01
on 8/1/13 9:56 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

Really great advice! I have surgery in less than 2 weeks and it was great to read this. Thank you for sharing!! Oh, and you look amazing!! angry Did you have plastics or did you just exercise enough to not have  saggy skin? I'm curious because I'm trying to avoid that problem as much as I can. I joined the gym and began exercising about 3 weeks ago. Doing cardio 3-4 days a week. I have worked up to doing 30min each day, about 15min on elliptical and stationary bike each day. I also do weights 2 days a week, arms one day and legs the other. Any advice you have would be great!! You are such an inspiration! I can't wait to be on the loser's bench kiss

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

Lauren Vento
on 8/1/13 10:36 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

Honestly, I think luck had a lot to do with my lack of sagging skin on my arms and legs, since they were never my problem areas.  I do have extreme amounts on my tummy and my poor breasts are sad, but if one year from now I still feel like the skin isn't going to get better, I will consider plastic surgery.    I've heard that hydration is a big part of it, and I am very good at keeping hydrated.

Keith L.
on 8/1/13 9:59 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Looks pretty good. I give a similar speech but I add the "at the end of the day it is all up to you" speech which basically says if you are planning to rely on the surgery to get you where you want to be, forget it and don't bother. You still have to do all the things in your list but its not up to your surgeon, your nutritionist, your family, your friends, your personal trainer, nobody but you to do the things you are supposed to do to get healthy.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

rhearob
on 8/1/13 12:09 pm - TN

Personally, I would never advise anyone with Number 7.  I think the concept of moderation is total crap and used to justify off plan eating without any self reflection.  I would never tell anyone to not deny themselves.

While it is true that the feeling of deprivation can cause someone to make bad choices, instead of giving into and feeding that emotion they should examine what is at the root of that emotion.  They need to hold themselves accountable for the decision they make to eat or not to eat and understand WHY they made that decision.  What they don't need to do is to eat without any of that and just label it "moderation".

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Lauren Vento
on 8/1/13 1:23 pm - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

I think that would be the one I would re-word, but I wouldn't take it out.   There are things you cannot eat after surgery, and that is common knowledge for everyone, but things like pizza are an indulgence that you can enjoy in moderation.  

rhearob
on 8/1/13 1:33 pm - TN

there's always less than good choices.  The task is twofold; understand why you made the choice and to hold yourself accountable for that choice.  I have cake on my birthday, but I know that I am copiously choosing it as a special treat, I weigh it and log it, and I know exactly how it fit into my plan for the day.

i don't just eat it and hide it under the term "moderation".  I see too many people who say things like, " I have to learnt how to live with these temptations", or "life is all about moderation ", and the like.  I say bull ****

If I have a craving, I have two choices:  use my tools to understand where the craving is coming from and resist it or give into it.  Either choice is fine so long as I am honest with myself about what I a doing and hold myself accountable for what goes in my mouth.  i don't lie to myself and say eating mindlessly is OK because I am practicing "Moderation".

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views