Sample Suggestions

kjo74
on 8/14/13 4:30 am - Lincoln, NE

I just ordered some Unjury packets to try, any other samples ya'll might recommend?  I am trying to get a handle, prior to surgery, on the protein powders that I will like and use. 

Kendra

Approved!   Meet with surgeon 4/1 to get my surgery date! 

Tracy D.
on 8/14/13 4:36 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My hubby really likes the Chike protein coffee powder...you can get samples from their site.  I love Bariatric Choice's protein hot chocolate (for winter). 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Angie S.
on 8/14/13 4:50 am - ID
I just tries the injury strawberry for the first time and it is the worst thing ever! (To me)

~~Angie~~

gonnabhealthysoon
on 8/14/13 5:15 am - TX

What did you mix it with?  I had a hard time with the Strawberry but I was able to drink it better when I mixed it with Lemonade Crystal Light.  Not saying it was great but I at least didn't waste the money I spent on it! :D

HW: 295, SW: 282.6, CW: 245.8

Month 1: - 20, Month 2: - 16.8,

Tracy D.
on 8/14/13 5:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I can't do strawberry-flavored anything, but the Unjury Chocolate is heavenly :-)

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Cathy K.
on 8/14/13 7:13 am

don't mind the strawberry made with milk and a couple of ice cubes blended.

Bufflehead
on 8/14/13 5:33 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

You can get a sample pack of Syntrax Nectar flavors from BJ's Bariatrics. I love a lot of their flavors. So nice to have something lighter and more refreshing than the heavier, creamier types of shakes.

http://www.bjsbariatrics.com/product/synSamplePack.html

You can also get custom sample packs on a lot of types of protein, including Syntha 6, Lean Dessert, Dymatize, Isopure, and Champion Nutrition from Vitalady:

https://vitalady.com/protein-supplement/

(she seems to be having website issues at the moment though). The Lean Dessert and Dymatize ones are pretty good.

Calking
on 8/14/13 5:38 am
VSG on 05/31/12

I would warn you that you not try these pre op.  It is fairly common for people's tastes to change post op.  Things you like pre op can become too sweet or too bitter or too something to the point that they are no longer tasting good.  Too many times have I seen people in this forum purchase and stock up on protein drinks only to not like them post op.  They then either go to waste or he person is forced to drink something that they really are not enjoying but push through it to get it over with.

With me personally there are two things that I have found issue with.  Pre op I drank bottled waters a lot.  Post op I will literally throw up drinking plain bottled waters.  One mouthful is so disgusting.  The only thing I can attribute this to is perhaps the minerals that are added to these waters to "enhance" flavor are more noticeable to my taste buds.  Almost as if my tastes have been heightened.

An additional experience tells me that my tastes have indeed been enhanced so that I taste things more intensely than before. Pre op I enjoyed various seafood as long as they weren't fishy tasting such as tilapia, perch, orange roughy, and various other milder tasting fish.  Post op these mild fish are now a stronger fish taste to me.  I no longer am enjoying seafood as I once did.  At this point even shrimp (something I really enjoyed pre op) can sometimes be too fishy now that I am post op.  

Many on here will confirm taste changes post op.  However some will also confirm or claim that there tastes are returning to what they were post op.  I am thinking that they are simply getting used to the way the foods taste now.  I am coming up on 15 months post op and still cannot drink plain bottled water. 

So the main point is to not try to find something you enjoy pre op as it could very well be something you won't enjoy post op.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Bufflehead
on 8/14/13 7:01 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I second this! Stock up on protein samples before your surgery but don't bother trying them until after surgery. Tastes definitely do change.

kjo74
on 8/14/13 9:43 pm - Lincoln, NE

Thanks for that tip!   I will hold on to the samples and just wait until after surgery to use them.  

Kendra

Approved!   Meet with surgeon 4/1 to get my surgery date! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 67 views