Met with my surgeon today.... FINALLY.

AndiT
on 9/30/13 6:49 am - Hillsboro, OR
VSG on 10/30/13

And no date scheduled. Walked away feeling less than hopeful. She was honest and told me my mortality rate was higher because of my weight, 1/250. And also told me that the research I had done on VSG with a weight loss expectancy of approx. 70%+ was not correct, that I could only expect maybe 60% at best. And that either VSG or RNY would still result in me being overweight when all is said and done. The Fellow Surgeon that she had in the room with her said that the weight loss number would mainly depend on diligence and compliance. Surgeon said I could sit there and look her in the eye and assure her of my desire and willingness to comply with the needed lifestyle change and exercise needed, but that she also sees those patients 2 years down the road when they are still within an obese BMI range. She left the choice up to me regarding RYN vs. VSG and wasn't influential either way about it, only to say, Band was out of the question, which I already knew.
She was concerned about the possibility of my GERD getting worse with VSG as well as stricture in the stomach, she pointed out the long term risks of complication of bowl obstruction and severe vitamin deficiency with RYN and asked me if the small increase in weight loss was worth those possible outcomes, I told her no. She was good with my choice to stay with VSG and is sending me off next week to have an upper GI done to make sure my GERD isn't due to any physical restrictions and just due to weight.

Just feeling meh now.

Shagdoll
on 9/30/13 6:58 am

Geez what a bummer type of meeting that was.  I don't think some of these medical professionals know how to relay feedback.  Your chances of complications will be a lot less with a VSG & there are several VSGers who started off with a high BMI who have become so very successful.  I am over 2 years out and have gained some weight back BUT that doesn't mean my sleeve failed me.  This is a lifetime commitment to a proper diet along with exercise.  WLS or not, keeping weight off will be a lifelong battle but worth the fight for the most of us.  

WLS is not a walk in the park and I'm sure they have seen several post-op'ers who have gained some weight back but there are a lot of people who are ready for the change & will go to this measure to reach it.  The tool is here to help and along with our commitment, we can make it work.

Have faith in yourself ... it's what I have to tell myself.  I have family & friends who have faith in me but it needs to really come from within.  YOU can be successful.  Keep the path & don't deter.  I have a strong feeling you will be happy with your sleeve!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

AndiT
on 9/30/13 7:06 am - Hillsboro, OR
VSG on 10/30/13

Thank you, its been hard to keep on the path thus far, because I have cravings and desires for foods.  I've been at this pre-op diet for a while now, over 10 weeks and have come down 60 pounds.  Today though, I found I gained 5 back. My bad, my fault.  I stopped logging, and with my stress and anxiety of meeting the surgeon today, I have been mindlessly grazing on crap in the kitchen.  Then I decided to bake yummies for my family Friday... dear god, that was bad.

I think mainly my surgeon was trying to be a "worst case scenario" kinda gal and not plant super high hopes, I can respect that.  I realize there is a ton of work to do before as well as AFTER.  I have made changes, am constantly learning about myself and am putting the support in place to help me along the way after surgery.  My husband is also pretty awesome and wants me to succeed and is trying like hell to help me and keep my positive and motivated.

Shagdoll
on 9/30/13 7:16 am

Let me just say, I had seriously doubts that I would lost any weight with WLS but having a smaller tummy will help!!!  There is no way I could have lost 100 pounds without it.  Once the weight starts to come off, the easier it is to stay & keep on track.  I have slipped but I still get back on the wagon.  I'm on this ride for life!

Keep us posted on your WL journey!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

cappy11448
on 9/30/13 9:13 am

Hi AndiT,

I had a lot of weight to lose. (about 200 pounds).   I'm 5  months out today and I've already lost over 66% of my excess body weight.  My rate of loss has been fairly constant, and I am still losing 15 pounds a month.  I'm pretty sure I'll lose most if not all I want.

When I talked to my NP at the initial consultation, she told me that the average weight loss was 60%.  She said it was a "Normal curve"  which means there are as many people who lose more than 60% as lose less.  She said it was up to me how successful it would be, and that the people *****ally succeed are those who weigh and measure their food and log everything they eat long term.  You can bet I'm weighing, measuring and logging my food! 

From experience here on the forum, there are many people who succeed in losing all the weight they want.  It feels different after surgery.  The urge to eat is not so strong, and its much easier to manage.  I don't know how it will feel 2 years from now, but for now, for once, the weight loss is possible.

best of luck on your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

G5x5
on 9/30/13 10:24 am - VA
Well, I can only say that in 2 more pounds I'll cross the 70% mark and I expect to see more loose. Not sure why they undersold you so much. I also personally know a few tough cases and they're doing fine. Also, I don't think the surgery is entirely about getting a few more pounds of weight loose, it's about giving you a tool to help control what's getting in the way. You do have to be prepared for some lifestyle changes. "Less" McDonalds' hamburgers isn't going to work.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

hope123
on 9/30/13 10:31 am - MO

I was told at my surgeon's office that if a person is severely obese, and has Endocrine problems, like Diabetes, or Thyroid issues, then they usually suggest the gastric bypass, because the bypass gives people who have problems cutting down on pasta and sweets the "dumping syndrome" - which helps patients realize that's a bad thing to eat, and that they need to stop or they'll feel bad physically.  I've also been told if a person has a bad hiatal hernia, wherein fixing it during weight loss surgery may still not help, then they also suggest the gastric bypass, because getting the sleeve can make acid reflux worse for those with a bad hiatal hernia.  I know someone whose had the bypass and he looks amazing and lost weight quickly, so I wouldn't count out either surgery, so don't feel bad, there's still options available.  I hope this helps.

debk21
on 9/30/13 11:37 am - Mansfield, TX

Wow!  Talk about a scare tactic...I find it interesting that this is their primary business and it sounds like they are trying to talk you out of it. I'm glad you've done your research and know what is right for you. Please be aware that the final percentage loss results are completely and totally up to you.  If you want it, you CAN lose 100% of your excess weight.  If you're diligent and form good habits, you CAN maintain that weight - but it is all up to you. The "Fellow Surgeon" in the room was correct on that one.

My biggest problem was that I could lose it fairly well ****il Father Time slapped me down and made it more difficult as I got older) but I could never maintain the losses.  This is where the sleeve has REALLY helped me.

Good luck to you and don't let anybody tell you what you can or cannot do. We're pulling for you no matter which way you go.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 67 views