"You are one of my best success in WL..."

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 10/28/13 8:14 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

Those were my GP's words today....this was my last post op blood work and checkup.  It was a year ago this week that I had the sleeve done.

It has been a great year, I lost approx 123 - 125 lbs...i say approx since I get diff numbers on every scale I step on.  The good thing is that I'm no longer scared to step on them!!

I started at 311 and now I'm at 188.  I should be  lower but I've been relaxing the weight loss effort somewhat.  I need to lose another 10 and this STARTS NOW!!!  I'm 6' tall and have a fairly strong frame so the high end of my healthy BMI weight is fine with me.  Its taken me all this time to finally arrive at this number...my surgeon told me that I would be successful in my WL if I got down to 200...

To anyone sitting on the fence with this surgery obviously I say GO FOR IT!!!  I only regret waiting so long to face it!!  It is an awesome tool and that first year is an incredible ride.

The things I have learned:

Journal my food intake...This keeps me in the zone... I don't journal and I don't eat as well, I lose my sense of control and that is huge...CONTROL!

Read OH everyday...I have sat in front of my computer having pretty much convinced myself to either skip Curves or have too many carbs in my meal or to have that extra piece of cheese...(What the heck...its low in carbs right?)...After reading a few posts I usually can shape up and think.."damn...those guys are strong...I need to snap out of it!!!

Water...You just can't underestimate the benefits...I have had times when I am soooo hungry...and I made a deal with myself that if I'm still soooo hungry after i drink my 22 oz jug of water ...I'll look for something healthy to add to my day...usually by the time I finish my water  I'm no longer starved...or I just got busy and forgot about my hunger.

I am now accepting that I will forever have to be cognizant of EVERYTHING I eat.  I am now accepting that some people CAN eat chips and pizza and not become obese but I CAN'T and that's that.   Who said life was fair right? 

I recognize that the more sugar or carb I ingest the more I want them...fortunately the reverse is also true, the less I eat them the less I want them...Thank god for that! 

As awesome as this year has been, I am somewhat stressed about the next one.  I think that relaxing now might be VERY dangerous.  I hope I can carry on with the discipline and the rules I have learned.  

I must thank all the posters of OH...You have been incredibly helpful!!!

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

Sandy M.
on 10/28/13 8:33 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Nathalie, that's a great story - you worked really hard to get where you are, and it's a good lesson learned that you can never keep your eye off the prize, even after you've won it!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/13 8:43 am
What a great post. You have had a fantastic year. Don't drift away, the second year is just as important as the first,maybe more. The second year is when you learn how to maintain. You will still need us. Great job.
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/13 10:00 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/13

Congrats! You are so right we always have to be aware of all carbs, calories and fats that we eat for the rest of our lives. Happy One Year Surgerversary!

diane S.
on 10/28/13 11:50 am

yep, you really hit the nail on the head. your observations are so true. keep this in mind when at 3 or 4 years you are tempted to stray a little. new habits are the most important part of weight loss surgery. you go girl. diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Member Services
on 10/28/13 1:17 pm - Irvine, CA

Awesome post!  Thank you for sharing your story with us.

angry

Patricia2013
on 10/28/13 11:15 pm - Atlanta, GA

Congratulations! What a wonderful year you have had. Keep up the great work!

5'3 SW 218 M1: -22 M2: -12 M3: -12 M4: -12 M5: -10 M6: -8 M7: -12

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views