Sleeved 12/2, had some doubts in the beginning.

KrissyMisssy
on 12/14/13 3:56 pm - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

I was sleeved on 12/2 and haven't posted yet even though I had planned to. I guess the reason I haven't posted is because I have been feeling pretty down since the surgery. I was doing okay for the first few days, in fact, after my surgery the nurses had said they'd never seen a bariatric patient walk as much as I did the first 2 nights. But after I got home, it all went downhill. Painwise, I was fine. I never had any nausea or bad gas pain, and I never felt the need to take pain medicine. I did, however, have trouble lying down, so I spent the first 2 nights home sleeping downstairs in the recliner so I could be at somewhat of an incline. What was troubling for me was the diet, and for about a week I was seriously regretting my decision to be sleeved. 

For the first few days, I was only able to get in about 16 oz of liquid. I LOVED water and drank it all the time prior to surgery, but after surgery I just couldn't keep it down. Finally I realized that I needed to flavor my water with some sort of zero-calorie drink mix, or else I just can't stomach it. I'm pretty disappointed by that because sometimes I just want some good, cold water and I try it, hoping it will feel okay, but it always causes me pain and I regret doing it. I'm not sure whats up with that seeing as its jus****er vs. flavored water, so maybe its mental or something. I don't really know...  

The most of what had me feeling so crummy though, is trying to get my protein in. My doctor made me buy 2 of the gigantic bags of Bariatric Advantage for my liquid diet (even though there was no way I was going to need them all because its 70 servings worth), so I have tons of this powder that I'm trying to drink/use, but it just tastes AWFUL! We spent so much money on that, my husband fussed at me for suggesting I buy more (not because he's mean or unsupportive, but because money is tight and I didn't really want him to know that the 0 he just spent was going to be wasted), so I simply didn't drink them. That's right: I just said screw it and only got 15-25 grams of protein for the first week and a half. Yesterday, finally, after he realized I wasn't getting the nutrition I need, he took me on an hour's drive to the nearest Vitamin Shoppe to get Syntrax Nectar (because I'd heard great things about it on here), and I have FINALLY, for the first time since surgery, been able to get in ALL of my water and protein!

I'm still struggling to get enough calories because my sleeve is still picky and I cant really eat much besides yogurt and refried beans, but I'm slowly trying new things and starting to understand what certain feelings and noises mean, and it really helps that I'm down 18 lbs in less than 2 weeks. I'm finally starting to appreciate my sleeve and am taking full advantage of it while I can!

Bufflehead
on 12/14/13 8:12 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I'm glad things are picking up for you! Yogurt and refried beans is a good place to start IMO. Good job on finding a way to drink water and getting some protein you can stand. And keep in mind that your ability to tolerate plain water will likely come back, although it may be a ways off in the future. And down 18 lbs in less than 2 weeks is amazing! That must feel awesome.

KrissyMisssy
on 12/15/13 12:46 pm - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

Yes, it does! Thank you :)

teachren
on 12/14/13 10:33 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

I'm happy to hear you found something that will work for you.

In the first two weeks it was a challenge to get enough protein and water but it gets better. Reassure your husband you'll be able to use up the protein powders you have in your cupboard and don't be afraid to try different ones. I have about 5 on the go right now at 7 months out. You'll be able to add them to yogurt, or cottage cheese later on in addition to having them as shakes. They have a great shelf life and won't go to waste as your tastes will change and you'll likely be able to stomach them.

I would suggest googling some vsg friendly recipes and making yourself some soups with protein. I found soup to be a great way to get in my protein early on. If you're handy in the kitchen you can really whip up some high protein low carb soups. For example, when you're cleared for it, chicken purees up really well in a soup. It's got a bit of a weird texture but I just told myself it was "cream" soup I was eating!

Good luck and congrats on the 18 lbs so far!

150 pounds gone for now! :-)  Initial goal weight of 170 lbs met on March 7, 2014.  My 44 year old bones survived hiking 4 days overland to a highest point of 4700 metres! Machu Picchu goal...CONQUERED!

KrissyMisssy
on 12/15/13 12:53 pm - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

I've tried adding the chocolate to plain greek yogurt, but I'd have to add way too much for it to taste any good to be able to rely on it for significant amounts of protein considering I can still only eat a little yogurt. It tasted great though, so I hope as I get farther and farther out I will be able to get more protein in that way instead of shakes. I've always loved yogurt :)

And I just tried Shelly's Ricotta Bake (whoever she is but it came from this forum lol), and it didn't sit very well on my tummy, but OMIGO**** was delicious!!! I can't wait until I can start experimenting more and more!

Sandy M.
on 12/14/13 10:53 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I'd glad you're feeling better!  Those protein shakes are nasty, I agree!  It'll get easier over time - your stomach will stop that weird "I can feel the food moving all the way down" feeling, and you'll get back to plain water too.  

My favorite yogurt is Dannon Greek Light & Fit, and it comes in all sorts of yummy flavor.  For protein shakes, I've moved on to the Premier Protein ready to drink - it's sold at Walmart, Sam's, Costco, and most grocery stores.  For me, I got too lazy to measure the protein powder into milk and blend, so the ready to drink became my go-to!  

You might try some cottage cheese too - after surgery my first bite was heaven!  

You're doing just great - the worst part is behind you; soon you'll be moving on to sold food, and before you know it, you'll feel normal.  And that's a wonderful feeling, believe me!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

PrettyEyes_41
on 12/15/13 12:35 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

I've hit goal and still love the Dannon Greek Light & Fit yogurts. I tried them all and couldn't stand them until I found this one as a last resort. 80 calories and 12 grams of protein in something that tastes really good is tops in my book!

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

KrissyMisssy
on 12/15/13 12:56 pm - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

Glad to know I may soon be able to drink my plain water again because I have so missed it! 

And my next purchase will be Premier Protein because I love chocolate, but the good kind, not the nasty kind like what I have in my cupboard lol. But I've heard good things about it on here so hopefully I'll be able to tolerate that. 

katym
on 12/14/13 11:02 pm - PA

Hi KrissyMissy,

Glad to hear you are getting in more liquid and protein and starting to feel better. Everyone's journey is different, but it is not supposed to be miserable. I want to encourage you that tastes do change over time. Things that taste awful in the first week may be tolerable a few weeks later. (I am not saying you are ever going to love the Bariatric Advantage, but you may be able to use it--and if not it is ok.) 

Be willing to experiment. For example different temperatures of water might go down easier at different times. Sometimes I could sip ice cold water, but lukewarm water, broth, and herbal tea were much easier most of the time.   

I remember vividly how frustrating it was that nothing tasted good to me during the first 10 days. Everything seemed too sweet and somehow I had become extremely sensitive to artificial sweeteners. I swear I could smell them from 2 rooms away; they made me gag. A few strategies that were helpful to me included: drinking from a sippy cup or blender bottle so that I was somewhat removed from the smell; using more water when mixing protein; making popsicles from fruit flavored Nectar proteins; trying savory protein like Unjury Chicken Soup; thinking of protein as medical necessity, not shakes (it might sound silly to focus on words, but to my food-addicted brain the word shake implied luscious treat, even the protein flavors I like are NOT treats!)

Congrats on your weight loss so far! Best wishes for your continuing journey.

Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

KrissyMisssy
on 12/15/13 12:58 pm - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

Thanks for the tips! I've never thought of making popsicles with protein shakes! One of the main reasons I can't manage to drink Bariatric Advantage is because of the consistency, so maybe I can if its popsicle form! I'm going to make some right now and try them tomorrow! 

Most Active