How much fruit during maintenance?

G5x5
on 5/8/14 6:56 am - VA

Anyone got any opinions on an acceptable balance during maintenance?

I've generally stuck with one piece per day.  It's always been an apple or pear, which I cut into cubes and eat a portion during each meal.  Sometimes if they're small, or I'm short on the veggie option at a meal, I might bump it up to two pieces per day, but that's rare.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Spencerella
on 5/8/14 7:47 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I never eat more than one a day, some days none, but I allow myself whatever fruit is in season rather than limiting the type of fruit. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Stacy_WLS
on 5/8/14 8:01 am

I think this just depends on your plan and how much you workout.  I am still actively losing and have 1 cups (2 - 1/2 cup servings) of berries each day.  I plan to have 2-3 servings of fruit a day in maintenance, but I am not in the no carb camp.  

Good luck finding the right balance in maintenance -- I'm a bit nervous about that.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/14 8:36 am

Most days I don't eat fruit.  On the other hand, if I want some, I have some.  I almost never eat it by itself, but rather use it as a condiment to put on salads or in recipes.  I would say, a cup of berries is just fine, or even a small apple.  I would not eat more than two servings of fruit.  

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/14 10:41 am

I LOVE fruit, oh, yes I do! Hate veggies, frankly, but love fruit. So you can imagine the adjustment I've had to make. Anyhow, during WL I stayed away from fruit. Once I hit goal I began to add in low carb fruits - mostly berries, but also kiwi, a bit of apple now and then, and you can bet when peaches and nectarines are in season I will have some. You can google lists of low carb fruits and make those your choices. I find doing that very helpful.

I have not eaten more than one serving of fruit per day since having VSG and I am not supposed to have any tropical fruits even in maintenance.

I have a thing for Trader Joe's Wild Organic Blueberries and add 1/4 cup to my Greek Yogurt each day. Right now that's pretty much the only fruit I am eating since I'm back in WL mode. But I will switch those out for fresh strawberries from a local farm when I can get those.

califsleevin
on 5/8/14 10:49 am - CA

It partly depends upon how much room you have to play with between your protein requirements and your caloric budget. About half of my diet is fruit/veg (I target ten servings per day and usually settle 6-8 and am rarely below 5,) and I don't really discriminate bewteen the two given the overlapping definitions (is tomato a fruit or veg - depends upon who you ask...) and widely varying characters and nutritional profiles of different foods - avocado is a fruit but very low sugar and high in fats while some veg are relativey high in sugars. Overall, I don't get too worked up over intrinsic sugar - that which is naturally occurring in our foods - as it's difficult to go overboard on them like we can with all of the added sugars that creep into everything that's packaged/prepared. Then, if one combines them with low glycemic meats and fats in the meal, it averages things out as far as our insulin responses are concerned (assuming that one wants to minimize such responses as is often the goal during weight loss, as opposed to maximizing it as one may want to do when body building.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

wls2011
on 5/8/14 11:11 am - Ballston Lake, NY

I wish I could eat fruit, but it still does not sit well 3 years out. I have trouble with veggies too. I will add frozen berries to shakes. But I get very little produce in.   I believe we need natural food and antioxidants, so if u can tolerate them, you should get a good variety in your diet. 

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

happyteacher
on 5/8/14 9:49 pm

I have no issue with 2 servings a day, and sometimes even go three.  I do tend to use fruits low on the glycemic index though. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jubjub
on 5/9/14 4:31 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

After avoiding fruit for 18 months, I've started having berries and bananas in a kefir-based smoothie each morning.  Been doing it for a month, about 1 cup of fruit,  mixing in some pre-and-pro biotics, and doing fine - losing a little bit of weight actually.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

A. Kondrlik
on 5/10/14 3:47 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I eat two and sometimes three servings of fruit daily.  I often eat fruit as a snack along with some kind of protein.  fruit by itself doesn't seem to 'stick' as long.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active