Constipation...yay

sjunguzza
on 5/31/14 12:36 am

I hate being constipated....its worse than diarrhea for me. Surgery was 4 days ago, last BM 4 days ago as well. 

Add that to my heartburn, which is causing nausea and I am just a big bucket.of win today. I am taking ranitidine for the heartburn, but so far it hasnt been a big relief.

I took some milk of magnesia a few min ago, per dr instructions. If that doesnt work he wants me to do a fleet enema. Awesome. 

HW - 298    SW - 282   VSG on 5/27/14

Gwen M.
on 5/31/14 1:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I recommend looking into a PPI for the acid and nausea  - Prilosec, for example. 

I also take a dose of Miralax a day for constipation. It's a non-stimulant laxative so safer for longer periods of time. 

For what it's worth, there are solutions!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Miss150
on 5/31/14 1:45 am

Gas and consipation- whew- were my big battles early on.  Was afraid it was going to be a forever thing.  Stay on top of it.  I found it helpful eary on to "note" BM events to ensure that I was going regularly every 3-4 days- minimum ( remember, you are not taking so much in- so not so much going out... however, that said, regularity is a good thing)  Hang in there- it does get better as you are able to reintroduce higher fiber vegatables into your diet.  I found flaxseed in my protein drinks  to be helpful, as well as mirilax--the occassional MOM did the trick.  The whole intestinal thing takes a while to resolve itself.  It will pass--(pun intended) bonnie.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

mickeymantle
on 5/31/14 2:15 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you probably need a different ppi or h2 blocker , ranitidine is a very weak one and does no always do the job protonix or dexilant work much better for many people

I had diarrhea for the first few weeks then when I got on real food at 2 weeks the constipation starts , It will last till you start getting about 8 gm of protein a day , but I still get ing some times and MOM is a great heal , miralax did nothing for me but helps lots of people

1-2 cups of coffee does wonders for me and my surgeon said I could drink it at my 2 week check up

it will get better give it some time your still healing , treat you sleeve like a baby and give it some time to mature

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/14 5:14 am

I would try OTC Prilosec for the heartburn. Pepcid and Ranitidine are entry level H2 Blockers. (You can safely take 150 mg of ranitidine at a time, btw. That's the dose that used to work for me.)

Many of us find remedies for the constipation. Mine was a Dulcolax in the morning and before bed and a 1/2 dose of generic Miralax (much less expensive) with my morning protein coffee. Kept me going regularly once the Miralax kicked in (which was only a couple of hours for me).

Um, yeah, I'd avoid the enema, if at all possible. That would be awesome.

Good luck and welcome to the VSG side of life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Mike B.
on 5/31/14 8:34 am
It sounds like you are experiencing some of the same issues most of us go through at your stage. All I can say is hang in there and things will begin to move.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

trinoc
on 5/31/14 9:23 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Are you sure you're constipated?  That would be my first question before I started trying remedies.  I mean, it took me 10 days, post op, to have enough in my stomach for a BM.  Now I go every 4-5-6 days.  I know this is not ideal but I also know it's not constipation (I can pass gas and I have no pain).  It's just the fact that I eat very little and almost none of it is fiber.  For colon health, I have today begun taking fiber gummies so that I can try and go every 2-3 days.  But I wouldn't treat myself for constipation if I weren't in pain. 

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

sjunguzza
on 5/31/14 9:50 am

Talkef to doc. He said to switch to prilosec, which I did. Heartburn is still there, but not constant like before.

As far as constipation, I was in pain. The MOM helped a few hours after I took it,

I will be getting some mirilax to keep me regular.

What is this protein coffee you speak of?! I must know!

No coffee for me yet,,,soon i hope!

HW - 298    SW - 282   VSG on 5/27/14

frisco
on 5/31/14 10:08 am

My guess at 4 days out and no BM since surgery..... your constipated from the meds.

Anesthesia and pain meds are know to plug you up......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Caigralin
on 5/31/14 10:39 am

I use senekot.  It's all natural vegetable laxative.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views