day 5 of soft foods-can't eat much

KRISTIN M.
on 7/8/14 11:56 am

I also am on soft foods and Turkey chili has been good still can't do eggs makes me sick but I have been eating a lot of Greek yogurt and I can actually eat 3/4 Of a container now. I also like SF Pudding with a scoop of Protein Powder good luck

HW  259. Sw 230.  Cw 188  TL 71 M1(-15) M2(-10)M3(-6)M4(-6)M5(-5)

mollz007
on 7/8/14 1:42 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

Sounds like what you are going through is pretty normal to me. You are starting to move on to more solid proteins, and you will see that they fill fill you up faster and for longer than the liquids did. You are still fairly early out, so your capacity may change as you heal, but I would say you are doing just fine. Just take it slow. If something doesn't sit right with you, just leave it for now and try it again later if you want to. I couldn't tolerate milk for my first 2 weeks, but that seemed to vanish by week 3, and now I make all my shakes with milk. Speaking of shakes, you may not be able to get rid of them for awhile, sorry to say, so it would be a good idea to experiment with recipes. I still have a shake most mornings, otherwise I just cant meet my goals.

check out my blog!

csbsteph
on 7/8/14 3:39 pm - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

I was actually flipping through my food journal today & was amazed at the small amounts; or should I say just a few spoon-fulls of food usually just two bites at a sitting that I was eating in the beginning.  I could only finish 1/2 a protein shake & it seemed to take all day.  It will & does get better. 

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/8/14 3:46 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Google "Eggface Shelly's Baked Ricotta."  I think you'll do better eating pureed foods rather than soft foods at two weeks out.  Meatballs are a little dry and difficult to digest.  Good luck. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

cappy11448
on 7/8/14 9:54 pm

I had the same problem - I could only eat about 1 to 1.5 ounces at a time, and it didn't increase until week 7. The NP said it was swelling of the stomach, and it would go down in time.   It is my understanding that this is not that common, but it happens to some of us, and its not something to worry about.  But do check with your doctor to be sure there isn't something else going on. 

I found chicken hard to digest at first.  You might want to start with tuna or salmon.  I used to mix protein powder in greek yogurt to get my protein numbers up. 

good luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Lemily
on 7/8/14 10:30 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

I was quoted :). At day 5 I was only on full liquids- milk, carnation instant breakfast, greek yogurt, etc. I was only able to eat maybe 1 oz of greek yogurt at that time per sitting. The first 4 weeks, 1 oz of food should take you roughly 10 minutes to eat. I would sit at the table or at work when I went back, look at the time and make sure I slowed my pace down. Eat with a baby spoon and in between bites put the utensil down. Practicing good habits now will help you be successful later. Week 3 I could start purees. In all honesty the thought of grinding/blending up food totally made my sick to my mind. So, I ate a lot of tuna that week and mushed it up really good, and also egg salad. I still have trouble with plain scrambled eggs - they may have been too try for you. But I can eat a sunny side up egg and also quiches. However, again it was only like 1 ounce per meal and that took me about 20-30 minutes to eat.

You will eventually eat more. It does come. At 6 months, I still have 1 scoop of unflavored zero carb protein powder in black coffee every morning (i dont think you can have coffee yet if you do drink it. I think i held out until 3 months before I put that back into my routine). For breakfast I can get down usually, a whole yoplait light and fit greek yogurt (I eat this for the protein content). Then for lunch its usually 3 ounces of a dense protein - grilled chicken fills me up the most and its readily available at work so I choose to eat that. Then i eat a small snack around 3:30/4 - and its usually either another greek yogurt or i just found this wild garden humus individual packs which has only 3 carbs and 6g of protein and is only 67 calories, with some cucumbers. And then dinner is usually another 3 ounces of dense protein and a little salad if i have room. I get all my protein in, all my water, and all my vitamins.

You will get to a new "normal" eventually. You just have to be patient. Some days I am ravenous! I can eat and eat and eat...well for my new stomach lol. Other days I can have 1 grape and feel full. You are still healing for the next few months which is why its so important to measure all your food. Ify ou were hungry in an hour - was it head hunger or tummy hunger. If it was tummy hunger, are you sure it wasn't gas? Are you on a PPI? Were the turkey meatballs really dry? I was also able to eat ground beef without issue that early on. I made meatloaf balls and they were very moist.

Don't get discouraged and the proteins are not forever, but very important to supplement right now. You are just training your mind and your new stomach again how to eat, right. Protein shakes are there to help you heal and get the nutrients that you need.

Lemily
on 7/8/14 11:01 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

Case in point..just started my breakfast..1/2 way through greek yogurt..im done. I was able to eat 1 full one for breakfast yesterday morning and a full one in the afternoon.

une_nouvelle_vie
on 7/8/14 11:26 pm

I read posts like this and I'm scared for the opposite reason. 

I am 2 weeks and a day out from surgery and I'm on puree.  I only had to do a week of liquids and this is my 2nd week of puree.  I've yet to find a food that I can't eat, but try to stick with chicken or a lean whitefish for the most part.  Right from the start I can eat 2-3 ounces at a time.  I haven't tried more than 3 ounces at a time because I'm satisfied at between 2 and 3.  It scares me that I *should* have more restriction than I do.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views