when were you done with your cpap?

mrsgillis333
on 7/10/14 3:04 am

Hi! When did you know you could be done with your cpap? Did you go by a doctor's recommendation? Did you then do a sleep study again? I'm about 25 pounds down (which is actually about the weight that I started on my cpap) so I'm sure I have more to go. The interesting thing is that when I've fallen asleep for a nap, I don't snore anymore.

cheryls222
on 7/10/14 3:23 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

Good question. I have been on one for over a year.  As I lose what I get it dialed down.  The DR recommended I bring the chip in every once in a while to check it.  He also said if I did not want to do that to just try sleeping with out it and see how you feel.

I was out of town last week and did not take the cpap with me.  I sleep just fine.  I am not using it this week as a test.  Then next week I will put it back on and see if there is a difference. 

I am REALLY hoping I am done with it!!!

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

Lemily
on 7/10/14 3:31 am
VSG on 01/16/14

A few things to note:

1. Since my insurance was paying for it, I had to send in a compliance record showing that i used it.

2. I went to see the pulminologist at 3 months. He would not let me give it bac****il i went for a repeat sleep study test after getting under 200 pounds. My starting weight was 245 when I was put on the cpap. I waited until I was at like 190. Although I was no longer snoring per my husband, I was still on the cusp for still needing it. But, told the doctor im not using it anymore and he agreed to let me return it. I was always on the lowest setting as well.

Definitely catch up with your pulminologist though. They will be able to direct you on both issues - safety and insurance.

mrsgillis333
on 7/10/14 7:58 am

I never saw a pulminologist, my GP referred me to get the sleep study. I guess I will ask her. Thanks!

sillymilly
on 7/10/14 3:50 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Good question!  I stopped using mine months ago when it just didn't feel comfortable anymore, but never went to the doctor to ask about it.  I've been told I don't snore anymore.  I'm also wondering what can be done with the machines when we don't need them anymore.  Do they get returned?  Or do I keep it in the closet in case it's ever needed again?

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

rumpole6
on 7/10/14 4:23 am

Hi,

I am still preop and pretty much a newbie with my cpap, (today is day 6) but my particular model  of cpap machine is on the network of some sort and it downloads  the results everyday. I was told that they will call me if they detect non-compliance on my part and ask me if I want to give it back. But since compliance is a  requirement for the insurance non compliance is not an option at this point for me.  I will discuss all this with the pulmonologist when I see him next. 

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

A. Kondrlik
on 7/10/14 10:05 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Please don't stop your CPAP without having a repeat sleep study.   I have lost just under 120 lbs and am at a normal BMI.  When I had my sleep study redone a few weeks ago I failed it, though I have been able to reduce the settings. 

Skinny people can have sleep apnea too, and untreated it can be very dangerous, leading to stroke, heart attack, hypertension.

My pulmonologist told me that heredity plays a large part, not just weight.  He also told me that some of the local WLS surgeons tell their patients they can stop the CPAP without a repeat study.  He was very happy that I was making sure that I was safe to discontinue it.  (which I wasn't)  it's funny, trying to get off the CPAP was one of the major motivators for me having the surgery, now I really don't mind it (except for lugging it around when travelling)

Anne 

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views