How can I be on a plateau weeks 3&4. And how do I get off of it???

SkinnyRazorback
on 12/24/14 12:16 am
VSG on 11/24/14

I am beginning week 5 and I have only lost 1 lb for the past 2 weeks. I don't understand...  How can I fix this???

Tracy D.
on 12/24/14 12:23 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You'll need to give a whole lot more detail to get good answers.   First of all, plateaus or stalls or slow downs in losing are NORMAL!  They are going to happen and the first one almost always happens in Week #3 and #4.   Ask yourself the following questions: 

1.  Am I getting in 64-80 oz. of fluid a day?

2.  Am I eating at least 80 grams of protein a day?

3.  Are my carbs under 40 grams a day?

4.  Are all my carbs coming from dairy and/or veggies sources (no flour, rice, pasta, sugar, etc.)? 

5.  Am I moving my body at a moderate pace for at least 30 minutes every day? 

6.  Am I getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night? 

If you answered "Yes" to all these questions then there's nothing any of us can say to help you.  You'll probably be a stair-step loser and will experience stops like this along the way.  Learn to embrace it:  take your measurements instead of getting on the scale because you WILL lose fat and inches even when the scale is staying steady.  

The scale is not the best or most accurate measure of how well you're doing or how much FAT you are losing.  The scale can only measure weight loss -- there's a huge difference between weight loss and fat loss.  Someone once told me if you want to lose a quick 20 lbs. then just cut your head off - LOL!   

Relax and know you're doing all the right things and that you will be dropping fat like a bad habit even when the scale doesn't move...as long as you are consistent with your program 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/24/14 4:41 am
VSG on 01/11/16

Thank you Tracy .. great post, wonderful advice

I've bookmarked it for future use .. lol 

Enjoy your Holiday

November18
on 12/24/14 10:01 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

This is a great answer. I've been in a stall since December 4th. I'm between 5 & 6 weeks out. The scale has just barely started to move the past two days! I don't trust it quite yet. But what you say about fat and weight loss is definitely true! Although I weigh the same as December 4th. Pants I wore then are significantly looser. I don't understand the science of it!! If the fat is going away, why doesn't it show on the scale? I'm going to try switching my cottage cheese & cheese to green veggies like someone else suggested on this post to break the stall!  Thanks for your info. Merry Christmas!

Bonnie

Elizabeth C.
on 12/29/14 2:58 am - Mansfield, TX

Thanks for this post!  I copied the 6 questions to my notes on my phone so I can refer back regularly... I'm not meeting my protein or my fluids on most days.... and wonder why I'm stuck... :/

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

NanfromSan
on 12/24/14 1:10 am
VSG on 12/09/14

What a great answer Tracy!  It's almost like a check list to follow with a little comical reminder not to sweat the stubborn scale :)

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Kerry1969
on 12/24/14 1:38 am
VSG on 11/17/14

I am just over 5 weeks out and I too had a bit of a stall all through weeks 2 and 3. Not a pound came off and I was doing everything right. Follow Tracy's check list, she hit all the points. I think it just happens sometimes and then after 15 days of nothing the scale started moving again. Hang in there it will move again.

VSG with Dr. Barkan on November 17, 2014. HW 220, SW 210, CW 175

happytoloose
on 12/24/14 6:28 am

Don't sweat it, I had the exact same stall that you are experiencing.

I started incorporating in some green veggies, not like me prior to surgery.

I went 10 days with a 1 pound loss between week 2 and 3. Totally frustrated me.

Then I realized, hey, I'm doing what I'm told, sticking with the program, and I can't possibly be eating too much.

Instead of the yogurt or cottage cheese, I started eating green veggies. Cabbage, spinach, and Brussels sprouts.

The stall broke in a big way. The following week I saw epic loss. As much as 4 lbs a day, 17 lbs in 7 days.

The second stall came about week 5, not as long but the same results when it broke, 15 more gone in 7 days.

Still making sure to get in most, if not all of the protein, and liquids daily. I'm not even weighing portions or counting carbs anymore.

I just eat mindfully. Stop when full, don't drink with meals, small bites, and chew, chew, chew.

56 days 59 lbs Since surgery. Heck , I'm almost looking forward to the week following the next stall.

The fastest loss seems to come following a stall. Use the time stalled to experiment a little, find what your body needs, and give it some.

A few extra carbs or a little good fat will let your body know your not going to starve it. Then it will get with the program.

I think we need to embrace stalls and use them to our advantage. Just keep in mind, the sleeve will do it's job with or without your help at this stage.

So don't sweat it, just ride it out and reap the reward at the end.

Do some veggies and see where that takes you. Works for me, and I've never been a veggie guy.

Hope this helps ease your worries, we've all had the dreaded stalls, obviously part of the journey, try to use them to your advantage.

Stay on course, we'll get there, one stall at a time.

Rod

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 67 views