How long before back to work at desk job?

njspillman
on 12/8/16 3:15 pm

I am wondering how long of a recovery to expect after surgery, in terms of being able to go back to work at a desk job? 

I don't have a physically demanding job but would a week be long enough time? 

msleesa
on 12/8/16 4:30 pm

I am going back in a week and 1 day.

Bufflehead
on 12/8/16 4:57 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

A week might be long enough, but many people need more time. I have a desk job and took two weeks, probably should have taken three as I was still too exhausted to get through a full day. But your recovery speed is a very individual thing and hard to predict.

White Dove
on 12/8/16 7:00 pm - Warren, OH

I planned on six weeks off, but was back in one week, because I felt fine.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

njspillman
on 12/8/16 7:11 pm

I am a college professor, so I'm wondering if I could schedule to have surgery over spring break. Sounds like its a crap-shoot.....should be ok, but might not be. 

Thanks everyone! I'm trying to do as much research as possible! 

CoachB
on 12/9/16 12:25 pm
VSG on 11/17/16

I teach High School and scheduled it over Thanksgiving Break, Actually the Thursday before.  I was coaching Basketball that Monday so 4 days post op.  I coached three days that week then was off till the following Monday.  No issues at all and when I returned to the classroom I was fine. 

catwoman7
on 12/9/16 5:45 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I work at a university as well (staff member - not professor).  I was going to do mine over spring break but decided to wait until May or June so I'd have the summer to recuperate and get used to the new deal.  I'm glad I did.  I probably could have gone back after a week if I had to, but I was pretty exhausted for the first couple of weeks.  And i had strictures at four weeks and eight weeks post-op - lead up to them was a lot of acid reflux and not being able to keep anything down.  That would have been harder to deal with if I was in front of class or at a meeting (although it looks like you're doing the VSG - so strictures wouldn't be an issue for you).  You can probably swing it over spring break, but early summer would give you a  lot more flexibility in the event you have any complications (which not many people do - but you never know..)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/9/16 3:53 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I took 2 weeks off then worked at home for 2 weeks.  Physically I probably could have been back in the office in a week, but the extra week allowed me to take slow walks to build up stamina and the extra time at home allowed me to get in the routine of sipping water all the time and figuring out what to have for mini-meals while on a puréed diet.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

ItsTimeNow99
on 12/9/16 4:24 am

I also took 2 weeks from my desk job, although I'm sure I could have gone back in a week.  I was tired after the first day back, but from then on it was status quo.  The extra time off allowed me to get moving around more and to rest.

Best of luck!!

P.

HW -265; SW - 251; CW - 154

Surgery Date- 10/12/2016!!

Valerie G.
on 12/9/16 4:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Do you have to think?  The after-effects are beyond physical, and even with a desk job, a week may be too ambitious.  Along with general fatigue, because this IS major surgery, I was in what I call the anesthesia haze for a few weeks.  Aside from that, movement was very slow, and dont' even talk about work clothes!  It was six weeks before I felt more like myself again, so I was grateful for the 8 weeks I took off of work.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes