Desari63’s Posts

Desari63
on 6/13/12 6:58 am
Topic: RE: Protien Suggestions...
If you have a local health food market/store near you, use them. We have them all over the place here in Texas and I use the Elite with whey and casin both (Chocolate Peanut Butter). I mix it with bananas and strawberries..yummy!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/13/12 6:51 am
Topic: RE: Started mushies....
Well since the sleeve removes the part of the stomach that tells you you're hungry, it's not hungry you're feeling..it's your head telling you "hey, we haven't had any food so feed me". We have always relied on our tummys to tell us we're hungry but since they can't tell us, the brain is doing it. You're not really hungry (I still have to force myself to eat sometimes because I'm not hungry) but we need the nutrients. As for mushy foods, I started with refried beans mixed with a little cheese to make them creamier and easier to go down. Potatoes...okay but not alot of them because you want 4x more protein then carbs anyway. Steamed veggies are great if you like them..if not then just go back to soups and your protein shakes until you hit the next level. There is nothing to feel guilty.

Nothing is really forbidden..just be good to the tummy and it will be good to you and follow your dr's plan..and use good judgement.

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/13/12 3:43 am
Topic: RE: I don't know if i am losing weight......
Absolutely nothing wrong with losing inches...because if the clothes are loose then the weight is coming off too. You may alternate between the two..you'll be in stall where you won't see the scale move but the clothes are looser so either one is good...

Keep up the good work!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/12/12 8:19 am
Topic: RE: Tomorrow's the Day
Nah..It's not as bad as you think and if you have a high tolerance for pain, it should be a piece of...excuse the expression.....LOL!!!

Good luck to everyone having surgery today and the days to come...

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/12/12 3:16 am
Topic: RE: The easy way out!!!!!! (warning)
AMEN!!!!! You are my new hero!!!!   

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/12/12 3:14 am
Topic: RE: Today is "The Day".........
WOW!!!!! Starting a new adventure TOGETHER! Now that's love and support for each other...Congrats and good luck on the surgeries. Can't wait to hear the stories!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/11/12 8:08 am
Topic: RE: READ ME FAST Dinners?? EX. Smart Ones?
Try to Campbell Soups at hand..they are great for on the run and lunches. Also any meats (from the deli that are not processed and cheese heated in the microwave with Green Giant 4 oz packaged veggies are great with it too...

Hope it helps!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/11/12 7:05 am
Topic: RE: Soon I shall join the ranks . . . .
First off...CONGRATS AND WELCOME TO A NEW ADVENTURE IN YOUR LIFE!!! Where are you having the surgery done? Do you have to travel far from home? Wherever you go, just be safe and have a great trip and tell us all about it when you get back...we're anxious to hear how it went...

And you need any help with anything, just holler!!!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/11/12 6:32 am
Topic: RE: This is me?
OMG!!! That is soooo AWESOME! Being a fellow biker myself (I have a 1986 Yahama Virago 700) I think all women should have their own bikes!!!

RIDE ON GIRLFRIEND!!! 

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/11/12 5:56 am
Topic: RE: Am I doing ok?
I call the  and raise you an !!! LOL!

You're doing AWESOME! Keep up the great work and you'll be right as rain!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/11/12 5:50 am
Topic: RE: Protein Shake question
I had the same problem with sweetners like Sweet N Low, Splenda, etc and had the same problems you are having. I have since cut them all out and have relied on regular sugar (told my doctor what has happening and he said go ahead but use very little) due to my diabetes. Well since I have changed the problem has gone away and I don't drink/eat enough sugar throughout the day for it to affect my diabetes (A1C as of last Wed - 6.5).

Talk to your doctor and see what he says. You might be surprised to hear him say use just a little bit since you're not tolerating artifical sweetners.

Good Luck!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/11/12 5:30 am
Topic: RE: I have taste buds
As you go along, you'll find that lots of foods/drinks don't taste the way they should anymore and that seems to be pretty normal. For me, water is not a good thing anymore...bottled/well/city..you name it and it's gross so for me it's mostly tea and pink lemonade. Foods are definitely different..the taste of rice/bread/pasta (which I have only had once and it was whole wheat paste)...ick. They told me it would be this way but I did't believe them until that first bite...LOL!

So...enjoy what the buds are telling you is good and hopefully you'll have good luck with foods when you're ready for them..just don't hurry it along. I still revert back to week 2 and 3 of my post op diet when things don't go or taste right.

Congrats on the surgery and welcome to the adventure! 

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/8/12 8:38 am
Topic: RE: Roller Coasters, the new ish!
Give it time...you'll make it and then LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/8/12 8:32 am
Topic: RE: Ok, it's real now. Where's that paper bag?
Nah..just go to your local grocery store and they have sugar-free popsicles and fudgesicles as well. Walmart has a 15 pack for about $1.99.

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/8/12 8:28 am
Topic: RE: protein powder question
I didn't care for the Isopure powder but they have liquid protein drinks in a multitude of flavors that you might like better. My favorite is Green Apple but they have Grape Frost,  Apple Melon,  Alpine Punch,  Blue Raspberry,  Pineapple Orange Banana,  Mango Peach and Passion Fruit. They have 40 grams of 100% pure ion exchange whey protein isolate. I haven't tried the POB but that's next on the list...

Hope this helps! 

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/8/12 7:59 am
Topic: RE: HELP!! feeling so low about my slow progress

I find that when I'm in a stall I just go back to my post-op diet of around week 2 and 3...Liquids and soft, mush foods again. That normally kick starts the process again. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!!! THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!! Keep positive thoughts, even though it may seem really hard to do right now and everything will start moving again. Don't get on the scale everyday because that is going to make the situation more intolerable since you don't see the needle move any.

And keep posting here with updates because there are lots of us out here that have gone through it and still do everyday...

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/8/12 7:52 am, edited 6/8/12 7:52 am
Topic: RE: I owe you an apology (LONG POST)
Exactly right Cincin...everyone's tolerance for pain is different. I seem to have been one of the fortunate ones. I had surgery and was like you, up walking with IV pole in hand w/in 4 hours. However, I was off pain meds the next day and they sent the home with me but I didn't have pain after that. Just a little discomfort and soreness in the tummy area but not the pain that people talk about being just horrible.

Angel - Hang in there..this is all definitely worth any pain you have. Never regret the decision you made because in the long run it's going to save your life.

"Never give up...never surrender!!"

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/8/12 7:34 am
Topic: RE: 4 days po, home safe from MX.
Thanks..I just got some Elite Whey/Casin Blend and it's Chocolate Peanut Butter....sounds yummy..now lets see if I can screw it up as I have never made a smoothie before..LOL!

Let you know how it goes...thinking about adding a banana and some more low fat peanut butter for taste...hmmm....mmmmmmm.

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/8/12 3:34 am
Topic: RE: 3 months today
That was one of my very first's NSV!!! I love Six Flags..not just for the rides but the walking around the park is great too. That is still part of my regime every week. I have a season pass with my hubby and we do the whole park first then ride the rides. That extra walking after is just a bonus.

Congrats on no longer walking the "walk of shame" and keep up the good work!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/8/12 3:06 am
Topic: RE: 4 days po, home safe from MX.
I had mine done in Juarez and drove to El Paso where the shuttle met us. As for coming home, since I had no pain at all from my surgery, other than stopping ever couple of hours to stretch out my legs and uncurl the stomach, it was all good. Traveling is not bad if you prepare for the trip home properly. Some people have said that flying is not great because of the changes in altitude and the bumpness but everyone is different...

Just glad you're home safe and sound and the surgery went well. What strawberry/banana protein are you on? Sounds yummy so I thought I would try and find it here in Texas too...

Keep posting and let us know how things are going!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/8/12 3:01 am
Topic: RE: Okay..I know I'm gonna get slapped for this but....
It's all good everyone!! I still love ya even though...well you get it...LOL!
Desari63
on 6/8/12 2:59 am
Topic: RE: Help! Frustrated and not sure what to do
WooHoo!!!! Congrats and good luc****ep us updated on the progress....

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/7/12 8:32 am
Since I do Cobra for a living, I can probably answer most of the questions regarding how Cobra works. Even if you only have to pay for one month of coverage to cover the surgery it may be worth it.

Feel free to contact me if you need any questions [email protected]

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/7/12 8:28 am
If they have to keep asking you "who are you again"? then what does that say for your doctor's office and the staff they employee? I know when I would in a doctor's office (OBGYN) we knew the names of all our regular patients that came in faithfully. If you were one of them, then they should know you by sight. Sorry about the problems your having and I hope you can get this resolved on or before then.

I'll be rootin' for ya!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 6/7/12 8:22 am
Topic: RE: Okay..I know I'm gonna get slapped for this but....
WOW!...I didn't mean to start a holy war here..just asked a question and thought it might be easier to ask someone that's been here for a while. I never even knew there was a search bar. If I offended anyone by just asking, I'm so sorry. I just see all the abbrevs and thought I would ask.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!?

Barbara McKeown

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views