michele1’s Posts

michele1
on 9/4/15 5:55 am
Topic: RE: colon cleanser and protein shakes

I've always had a shake in the morning even before the band and sleeve especially after my workout. My surgeons paperwork says none after the post surgical phases unless you need it to get your protein in so I asked and he said that for most people they aren't as filling as solid food and some people tend to eat more. But he said I could have one because for me they fill me and it is something that I've always done and I include a lot of spinach or other greens helps me get in some much needed veggies.

Like the above posters mention colons don't need cleansing, now I may have a tea called smooth move once a week if needed for constipation but thats all. Colons only need cleansing for colonoscopies or other diagnostic testing. Now pro and prebiotics help with colon health as do fiber also sugars and processed foods aren't good so should be eliminated.

I am a colon cancer survivor so I take care of what I have left lol..... eating right, moderate exercise no smoking and maintaining a healthy weight are the best things you can do for your colon!!!! Oh and routine colonoscopies

Ok off my colon soapbox LOL

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

michele1
on 9/3/15 11:43 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Thursday

B: Quest chocolate chip cookie dough protien bar.

L: Albacore tuna salad on baby spinach, two grain free crackers

D: Cod baked with almond flour crust, mashed butternut squash

S: Sugar free popsicles, South Beach carb control bar if hungry

Water and vitamins on track

michele1
on 9/3/15 11:34 am
Topic: RE: Stocking items before surgery

A pillow for the ride home from the hospital. Put it between you and the seatbelt!

michele1
on 9/1/15 9:46 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? -- Tuesday

Been on regular food since last week, trying different things, so far everything goes down LOL!

B: Shake, egg white powder, raw cacao, handful of spinach, stevia

L: Baby greens, red onions (going to try for the first time eek) chicken tender, sugar free raspberry dressing.

D: Lean cuisine herb roasted chicken (trying for the first time)

Water and vitamins on track

Trying heavy weights at the gym tomorrow for the first time since surgery, so excited!!!

michele1
on 8/24/15 11:06 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? -- Monday

B: chocolate spinach protein shake w pb2

L: pulled pork w sugar free bbq sauce

D: meatballs w sauce,  parmesan cheese, zucchini

Water 72 oz

michele1
on 8/19/15 2:43 pm
Topic: RE: 6 Year Anniversary of VSG

Wow awesome job, thanks for the inspiration!!!!!

michele1
on 8/18/15 10:57 am
Topic: RE: Having Doubts...Will this work for me?

I was self pay also and felt the same way! I am only six weeks out tomorrow but love it already. I know I will need to get some counseling to handle my addictive food thoughts, I didn't do that with the band and noticed this weekend while on a mini vacay the urge to stray where strong. So yes paying out of pocket and having to pay it back for 4 years still didn't fix the thoughts in my head, but there are solutions and yeah I didn't give in.

You can do this, I am a slow loser always have been and yes it will be a struggle but at least now I have a tool and a fighting chance. You will do whats right and what you are feeling is normal.

michele1
on 8/18/15 10:38 am
Topic: RE: Goal!

Congratulations, way to rock the sleeve!!!

BMI in my opinion is not a good indicator of a ideal weight, it doesn't take into account muscle mass for one thing. For example although she is an exception Serena Williams is not "normal" weight according to the BMI chart.

I say a better indicator is how you feel, do you like the way you look, and is the weight easy to maintain. I got down to "normal" once in my life lol yes only once, too unrealistic, I struggled to maintain it and was miserable add to it that I loved lifting heavy weights, so it was unrealistic for me.

michele1
on 8/18/15 9:05 am
Topic: RE: Bruising after Failed IV

Normalfor us hard sticks.....weeks for me!

michele1
on 8/17/15 11:42 am
Topic: RE: Upcoming Revision

Lapband to sleeve revision here also!!! I am so loving the sleeve, almost six weeks out, losing slower because I am a lower weight (I gained 40 back) but at least I won't get morbidly obese again, was headed there.

I think we are a step ahead of the game because we already spent years following the rules of no drinking with meals 30 min before 1 hour after, taking 20-30 min per meal, smaller bites, chewing well ect ect....

For me the best part is I feel "normal" no one day I have restriction not much the next, no what I call the funnel effect ( food or water stuck in upper chest then gurgling through) oh the list goes on!!!

I feel with the sleeve not only will I lose the weight  I gained but might even lose more!!! 

This forum is the best!!! Come here often best advise I could give!

michele1
on 8/17/15 11:15 am
Topic: RE: Finally got my date!!!

Awesome congratulations!!! I will be 6 weeks out Wednesday self pay and no regrets yet!. 

michele1
on 8/17/15 10:27 am
Topic: RE: Do we or don't we???

I agree, I have had several episodes of (sorry tmi) diarrhea since surgery but atribute it to liquids in liquids out! Thanks for the response!!!

michele1
on 8/17/15 10:23 am

I also doubted it but didn't want to rock the boat especially without clarification lol! It's crazy how much misinformation is out there, thanks for the response!

michele1
on 8/17/15 10:20 am

Thanks for the reply!!! I may borrow your explanation!!! Glad I am a sleever!!!

michele1
on 8/17/15 8:00 am

Thanks that's how I understood it but I swear there was three posts today of sleevers saying they had a dumping episode this weekend.  Want to say something but won't lol!!

michele1
on 8/17/15 7:36 am

Good morning everyone!!!

Sorry if this has been asked before but I saw this mentioned several times on another site and wanted to check here because I didn't think it happened to us sleevers.k

Do we experience dumping syndrome? I thought only bypass people experienced this. I thought dumping was because of the malabsorbtion aspect of the bypassing of the intestines along with eating sugar or highly processed carbs.

So do we or don't we that is my question!

michele1
on 8/12/15 11:44 am
Topic: RE: Has anyone tried these?

I should have mine soon, I just hope they work as good as I've read. I guess I will have to wait for blood work, but I figure it's better than not taking anything or flinstones.  My surgeon has us on Pepcid complete 2x a day for the first 6 months, I have always wondered about it interfering with the absorbtion and efficacy of the vitamins.

michele1
on 8/12/15 8:58 am, edited 8/12/15 8:59 am
Topic: RE: revision fom Lapband to Sleeve 08/31

Great news congratulations! I am five weeks out today from my band to sleeve revision with hernia repair. I felt good going into week three, I took two weeks off even though I work from home. I didn't feel like talking and my-xpatience level just wasn't where it normally is. I only really felt pain in the area of the two biggest incisions, I had nausea and diarrhea which made me miserable.

I also gained 40 pounds back from my lowest band weight, I weighed myself Friday and was down 15, I lost 5 the first week. Slower than others but I never have been a fast loser. The best thing is that the sleeve in my opinion works like the band should have. I feel like I have the potential to get even lower than I did with the band!!!

michele1
on 8/11/15 3:08 pm
Topic: RE: Surgery Tomorrow

Awesome, keep us posted you'll do great!!!!

michele1
on 8/11/15 2:12 pm

Thanks for the reply! I did noticed that most of the vitamins values are the same or exceed the Celebrate ones. My surgeon recommends 200% daily requirement. I was weary about the patch but figured they works for nicotine and birth control so why not. I'm not taking any multi or calcium now so hoping this works.....I might try the ones you mentioned if these don't wor.

michele1
on 8/11/15 2:03 pm

Thanks, glad to hear it, I ordered two months because I had a 40% off code!

michele1
on 8/11/15 10:51 am

Good afternoon!!!

Has anyone tried the Patch MD vitamin patches? The Celebrate multi vitamins and the calcium ones make me so sick to my stomach. I have tried them with food, with my Pepcid...still make me nauseous.

I have compared the patch to my vitamins and they are the same or higher in the values, has anyone tried these?

I will ask of course my docs office, but figured something was better than nothing.

michele1
on 8/10/15 3:52 pm
Topic: RE: Vacation

Oh, you'll get back on plan! I am sure some of that gain is from all the salt and or/carbs during that week......no worries you've got this!!!!

michele1
on 8/10/15 2:28 pm
Topic: RE: The dreaded gym

Weights are the only thing that gets me to the gym!!! I warm up for 5 min. on the elliptical with arms for an arm day and without for a leg day, stretch, then I lift (alternating upper body and lower body every other day), after I finish lifting I go back on the elliptical for another 5 min and then stretch again. I rest one day a week and try to do Pilates on another. According to my fitness monitor I burn more calories lifting than just cardio alone.

I agree, you need to find what you love, if you love it you'll stick too it and want to do it!!

michele1
on 8/9/15 2:19 pm
Topic: RE: My hubby means well...

Mine wasn't really on board either until he came with me to my pre op appointment and after meeting my Surgeon (same one did my lap band 6 years earlier but he was out to sea and never met him) and seeing my Surgeon explain the procedure and give his complication rates along with the successes changed his frame of mind.

Maybe a little visit with the Surgeon is in order. Mine was also apprehensive because I was self pay for the sleeve portion of my revision and I am paying it on my own. I did what was right for me, I will be paying on it for a few years but I did it.

You will make the right decision for you, he'll stick by you either way I'm sure. He is just concerned, guys just deal with things differently.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views