"Fat Cow" in the pool (help!)

Clara Painter
on 7/1/10 10:15 am - Jacksonville, FL
I think that we all can tell a "fat cow" story.  Just do it.  I swim every chance that I can.  My legs look horrible but you know what.  It doesn't matter at this point.  The swimming in comforting and lots of fun. 

Clara Painter

Paige E.
on 7/1/10 10:40 am - TX
I don't think there really is a "safe zone" unless it's in your backyard pool!!  However,  I do think it's a great idea to join an aquatics class at the YMCA or gym. 

I remember all the years I refused to take my kids to the pool because I was heavy and didn't want anyone to judge me in a swimsuit.  People would tell me to not worry about it and that I would see people bigger then me out there!!!  It wasn't until this past year that I ventured out  to not  only a pool but a water park!!!!  It saddens me that I wasted all those years I could have been making memories with my kids doing all those summer activities I use to enjoy!!!  In the big scheme of things why did I care what strangers thought of me!!!   I wish I could go back and do those years over!!  There is a woman in my support group that is just starting her WLS journey and she swims everyday (early in the morning) and in her words... "life is too short not to live it"!!  Swimming gives her great pleasure and she isn't letting anyone take that away from her.  Wish I could have had her attitude back then!

~Paige~  -155lbs    (lovin' my band)   
At GOAL and BMI is healthy!!

Pat T.
on 7/1/10 11:10 am - North Attleboro, MA
Even after weight loss, I never liked to swim - it's not the actual swimming I don't like, I've just never been comfortable swimming at any size - even now after having lost 70lbs.  I honestly don't think I'll ever lose the mindset that I've grown up with - I still remember the taunts as a child and it's just one of the things I need to work on mentally.

ObesityHelp Support Group Leader - WOW: Working On Wellness
Hambear
on 7/1/10 12:12 pm - Millsboro, DE
I live near Rehobeth Beach. Locally there is a part of the beach that very few people go to so people who are over weight go there. It is nick named fat peoples beach. I have never been there but hear alot about it. I would check into high schools with pools. We have one here in Delaware that you can get a membership to for $100 a year. Alot of WLS patients use it here. See you lighter. Joanne Hammond (Certified OH Support Group Leade ) Delaware
1texasmom
on 7/1/10 12:16 pm
Sorry, don't do pools.  We go to the lake.  Good luck to you in your search.

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

Vivian Prouty
on 7/1/10 1:32 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Sorry Eric...but I don't know of anywhere in my area where someone could swim without huge crowds.    Trust me.....after losing 140 lbs.   I still hate to get into a swim suit in public....not so much because of the "fat cow" remarks but because of the wriinkled hanging skin remarks.  LOL    

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

tt4trouble
on 7/1/10 2:53 pm - Surgery Date December 03, 2007, TN
The only SAFE place is a personal pool or private pool of some sort. But who wants to run from this. Not this chick.

In my opinion, "I" need to make a positive from any negative I encounter. If what happened to those people happened to me, I would continue going because NOBODY RUNS ME OFF.

Eventually, what goes around COMES around and I would soon win those people over and an apology would be offered.

Blessings
tannis z TN
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Nascar_29/

www.obesityhelp.com/tt4trouble

prissy25
on 7/1/10 9:02 pm - Barboursville, VA
Ive been to the local gym where I do PT and have never had issues there are usually older patients there and so most have disability's and so I kinda fit in w/ them when I was larger.Now I just go to the open local pools. Had I been called that in public I would  have gone psycho on them. People are so cruel.
 VAFFPsLogo.jpg FFP's picture by in2lights
OH Support Group Leader - [email protected]
Believing in yourself makes it so much easier in supporting those who need your friendship, love, and support,so Believe in yourself First.
Charlottesville, Virginia VA FFP's Meet's every 4th Sat.

LThompson
on 7/1/10 9:13 pm - NJ
Sorry but I do not know of any safe zones. 

When I was a "Fat cow" (316 lbs and 5'3") I knew I was fat.  I also made sure I was always dressed as a "Fat person" and ALWAYS dressed very neatly.  I had self confidance but I always knew I was being watched and many times heard the laughter as I passed by.  I didn't like going swiming in public but in 1993 we purchased the Disney Vacation Club. That was when I vowed that either I was going to be comfortable with myself in a bathing suit  or I needed to just stay out of the water.  Needless to say I wore the bathing suits.  They were really bathing dresses!  Today 160 pounds less of me I still swim and I still wear those bathing dresses.  I can not be comfortable in anythng else.
PatriciaSmith
on 7/1/10 10:37 pm - Dover, NJ
Try and ignore such ignorant comments.  Stay focused on your goal.  At least you are doing something positive towards being healthy.  Many people are not, so celebrate that.  A pool is not the only place you will here unkind remarks, so try and have a verbal response that you are comfortable with ready to say.........something like, "I'm working to make myself better and it sounds to me like you have a lot of work to do on yourself too".  Sometimes staying silent may be a good option........talk to yourself rather than to the person.  You have a right to use any facility you choose.  Don't let ignorant people deprive you of that right.
Most Active