Are you a food addict? How can you tell?

So Blessed!
on 7/1/10 2:53 am, edited 7/1/10 2:54 am
In fact, I later realized I had no idea what the meeting was even about.

ETA:  What is it about food at work?  Somebody brought in Panera bagels Tuesday and I just haaaaaaad to get one.  It's still in my desk drawer.  I know...  I've got food issues. 

I'll take it home today and feed it to the birds.

ericklein
on 7/2/10 8:41 am - Mission Viejo, CA
Hi!....  hey, could you return to your nice post about addictions for a sec?..  The thing here thought you were swearing. Aparently this OH web site things that one day the boss had ordered an explicative.  Says "****a".  pizza?  In which case "pizz"-- that's not an explicative, is it? (Anyway, if you see your post on the board, you'll know what I'm talking about).  Thanks.
LisaBC86
on 7/9/10 7:33 am - Bridgewater, MA
Lots of different opinions here..... I wouldn't call myself a food addict - however I do STILL enjoy eating - I like the taste of food ! lol A year out and it's still a challenge - I've come to the conclusion that it will always be a battle for me - but not sure if it's a addictive challenge or just that I enjoy eating and want to ? Maybe that's the same thing - not sure - lol I guess that's why it's a good question ,...

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
shoegirl1023
on 7/1/10 6:21 am - Solon, OH
 I would live and breathe food back in the old days, food was my best friend but my enemy at the same time. I so thankful to be free of this demon, but having said that I know I will never be cured. I am so thankful for this surgery and vow never to go back. There are still times if I am surrounded by deserts, it can be hard, I never act upon it though or have anything, I just feel like a recovering alcoholic in a Bar!!!

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

Teresa V.
on 7/1/10 6:21 am - Forney, TX
When I realized I was waking up thinking about food, and then after I ate, I was thinking about what I would be eating for the next meal.

ObesityHelp Support Group Leader

Paige E.
on 7/1/10 6:32 am - TX
I finally accepted (could tell) that I was a food addict when...... I realized I was hiding food from my family so they wouldn't eat it before I had a chance to... and too make matters worse I would stop at a fast food place on my way home from work and eat it in the car before I got home and made dinner!  It was also during this time that I realized I had a malfunction...  that switch that tells people they are full and it's time to stop... I have never had that until now.  I could eat, and eat and never get that signal that I'd had enough.  That was when I decided I needed to pursue WSL. 

So how do I know I AM a food addict...  Before WLS I was always thinking about the next meal or snack before I had finished what I was eating at that time...  now post WLS I still do the same thing only now I am planning for success and not failure.  I am making sure I am eating the right foods and making protein a priority!   I also still hide food from my family... but now it's my protein bars!!!  I will always be a food addict... but I have turned a negative around into a positive that works for me.

~Paige~  -155lbs    (lovin' my band)   
At GOAL and BMI is healthy!!

Yvonne McCarthy
on 7/1/10 11:14 am - Plano, TX
Paige I love your reply.  I would have hidden food if I had a family but I didn't have to.  So many weekends I would buy the biggest Church's Fried Chicken bucket sold and would enter my apartment on Friday after work and eat chicken and whatever sides I got until Monday morning when I left for work.  I didn't even leave all weekend.  Me and my bucket 'O chicken...my date for the weekend.  It's funny that I drive by those places now and see the "crack" chicken that I could actually eat a piece of but I don't want to return to anything close to that.  I did have to laugh about you having to hide your protein bars.  I have a part in the pantry where my husband knows "it is MINE".  I am very very fortunate that he doesn't have yucky food in the house either because it's hard for me late at night if it's here.  Congrats on your success!
hugs, Y

Open RNY 3/30/01  260lbs - 130lbs Yvonne McCarthy, CLC. Health & Wellness Coach (full time volunteer). I am happy to help if I can. Visit www.bariatricgirl.com and see the Bariatric Girl blog!  Also check out my Facebook Bariatric Girl Page Photography site www.yvonnemccarthy.com     .„ø¤º°¨ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨„ø¤º°¨ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨

ext201rn
on 7/1/10 6:48 am - glendive, MT
food-- addiction
food was my friend it was there when blue, it was always there wether I needed it or not,  Not even being hungry It would be my friend and aid me  (so I thought),  Now after having RNY and having changed my habits I now know that I can be without my friend there all the time and that there are other outlets,, So good bye ole friend and hello to the new life..

ron
austinglobe
on 7/1/10 6:58 am - Austin, TX
When I'd eat dinner with my family and then eat dinner with my boyfriend later in the evening.  It was so important for me to not say "no" to anyone that I'd have double dinner about once a week.
Band to sleeve revision.  Please add me as a friend to view my profile.        
Nancy M.
on 7/1/10 7:23 am - Warren, MI
I think I have always been addicted to food; but am convinced of it now due to my obsession with the Food Network!!!  Ever since my bariatric surgery in 2004, I've lived vicariously through the television screen; watching the chefs prepare all the deliciously fattening foods I cannot eat anymore (or so I think).  I have convinced myself that I watch Paula Deen just to hear her hilarious southern accent, and Rachel Ray because I can cook a meal (if I wanted to) in 30 Minutes!!!  I think it's time to face reality!!!  My name is Nancy and I am a foodacholic!!!
Nancy
Banded: 9/24/04 
Sleeved
: 6-13-08

Most Active