Protein Shakes?

Ashley O.
on 6/15/11 4:15 am
So far all i've tried is the Aria Womans protein shake stuff (nasty!), Carnation breakfast essentials, and a CVS Brand whey protein drink powder stuff... The carnation is alright, cvs brand is ehh... Its alright when i mixed some yoplait light yogurt in with it.

I'm not in pre-op yet.. I'm just trying out different ones and seeing what NOT to get for pre-op and after.

Any suggestions on brands or ways to fix them up? (:

thanks.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 4:17 am, edited 6/15/11 4:18 am
My favs are the Syntrax Nectar.. you can get a sample pack for $13 of all their flavors.. here's the email with the details.. I like them watered down over a lot of ice. 

Other than that- if you search VSG FAQ's you'll get a post that has a lot of sample suggestions.. and Netrition has a protein sampler kit that was pretty good. Eggface has a blog where she has a lot of creative ways to doctor up basic shakes too.. worth a look!

We are currently offering a one time only, limit one per person special on theNectar ‘Variety Sampler’ containing 13 full serving packets of the following flavors:  Apple Ecstasy, Caribbean Cooler, Crystal Sky, Fuzzy Navel, Lemon Tea, Pink Grapefruit, Roadside Lemonade, Strawberry Kiwi, Twisted Cherry, Chocolate Truffle, Strawberry Mousse, Vanilla Bean Torte and Latte Cappuccino.  The price is $13.00.  The Nectar Variety Sampler receives FREE SHIPPING and orders typically arrive in 2-5 business days via UPS Ground.  If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please give us a call at 866-333-7403 x 801.  Our hours are Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm Central time. 
on 6/15/11 8:18 am - OR
I like the premier protein from costco its a RTD and pretty reasonably priced. I mix it with milk because it is super thick.  Good luck finding one you like!
bittybabynurse
on 6/15/11 10:31 am - MN
So far Muscle Milk is my fav and it has 22g of protein per RTD shake. They have powder that you can mix yourself as well. Good luck!
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 11:01 am - San Diego, CA
I am careful to watch the sugar/carb content in protein shakes (they sneak it in there!).  I have tried every shake under the sun and by far the best ones in my opinion are BSN Lean Dessert Protein Powders.  They taste like dessert and I look forward to them every morning.  My favorite flavors are Chocolate Fudge Pudding, Whipped Vanilla Cream, Banana Cream Pudding & Fresh Cinnamon Roll.  I make them in my Magic Bullet  or blender with ice (I never use a shaker bottle, its just not the same texture) with almond milk instead of water so they are really creamy like a real milkshake.  I also add 2T of PB2 (peanut butter substitute) for added protein & flavor.  Finally, I add 1 or 2 pumps of one of my 18 flavors of DaVinci Sugar-Free Flavored Syrups.  Here are some of my favorite combos:

Pina Colada - Vanilla protein with 1T of SF Coconut Syrup and 1T of SF Pineapple Syrup
Almond Joy - Chocolate protein with 1T of SF Coconut Syrup and 1T of SF Almond Syrup
Banana Split
- Banana Creme Pudding protein with 1T of SF Strawberry Syrup and 1T of SF Pineapple Syrup
Black Forest Cake - Chocolate protein with 1T of SF Cherry Syrup and 1T of SF Marshmallow Syrup
Reese's PB Cup - Chocolate protein with 1T of SF Chocolate Syrup and 1T of SF Peanut Butter Syrup
50/50 Bar - Vanilla protein with 1T of SF French Vanilla Syrup and 1T of SF Orange Syrup
Peaches & Cream Cobbler - Vanilla protein with 1T of SF Peach Syrup and 1T of SF Butterscotch Syrup
Strawberries & Cream - Vanilla protein with 1T of SF Strawberry Syrup and 1T of SF Marshmallow Syrup
Caramello Bar - Chocolate protein with 2T of SF Caramel Syrup
Kahlua & Cream - Vanilla protein with 1T of SF Irish Cream Syrup and 1/4c of cold coffee
Fluffer-Nutter - Banana Creme Pudding protein with 1T of SF Peanut Butter Syrup and 1T of SF Marshmallow Syrup
PB&J -
Vanilla protein with 1T of SF Peanut Butter Syrup and 1T of SF Strawberry Syrup
Pumpkin Pie - Cinnamon Roll protein with 2T of SF Pumpkin Pie Syrup

I could go on and on...LOL.  Hope this helps! :)

elixir
on 6/15/11 6:30 pm - MI
I second the Whipped Vanilla Cream & Banana Cream Pudding. Those are two of my faves.

I also liked chocolate Unjury, which is the protein powder (mixed with lactose-free milk) they gave me at the hospital. 

I don't care for the fruity Nectar flavors but didn't mind the 
Chocolate Truffle or Vanilla Bean Torte. I have a couple packets of the Latte Cappuccino that I haven't tried yet.

I have a big box full of protein samples that I ordered from Vitalady.com that I need to get thru. I seem to remember that there might be a cinnamon vanilla something or other and also a coconut chocolate candy bar flavor in that box. I think I may try those tomorrow.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

paranoidmother21
on 6/15/11 11:43 am - Lake Zurich, IL
The best advice I got pre-op about protein shakes was to go to any manufacturer site and Vitalady.com and order 2 of every single single serve flavor that I thought I might possibly ever enjoy. I had 30 or 40 different flavors, and 2 of each.

After surgery, I tried a different flavor each time I had a shake. If I liked it, the package went in a "yes" pile. If I hated it, it went in a "not now" pile. There was no "maybe" pile - the advice was to only have 2.

After I'd been through the first round, I did a second round and did the same thing.

Any flavor that had 2 "yes" packages I ordered (there weren't that many). Any flavor that had 2 "not now" packages I threw out. Any that had one and one I saved and ordered another single serve 6 months or so out.

The result of this was that I had a variety of flavors that I would never have imagined I'd like pre-op. And yes, my taste buds changed hugely immediately after surgery, and then again about 3-4 months out. Had I ordered tubs of what I liked pre-op, I would have been out a lot of money.

At this point, I *can* do ok with any good quality protein, but I have several favorites that I return to again and again. I also recommend that you check out BariatricFoodie (or Pouch Party - find a post by Cleopatra_Nik on here and get the link in her siggy line) and check out all the possib8ilities for mixing up shakes that are incredibly tasty and still meet most program's rules.

Having said all that, at this point I tend to like the About Time products best. They are consistent in flavor and consistency, and the company is very easy to deal with. When I want a water-based fruity shake, the Syntrax Nectars are also very good.

Good luck stocking up - and then finding what works for you!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Shana16
on 6/15/11 12:38 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I love Max sold at some GNC and Oh Yeah Bars, they taste just like a candy bar.  try www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com love the site! Good luck.
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

yoopertroll
on 6/16/11 11:36 am - Fremont, MI
BSN Lean Dessert. It comes in flavors like chocolate coconut candy bar, whipped vanilla creme, cinnamon roll, chocolate fudge, banana, and banana nut bread. I buy it from vitacost as that is where I have found it to be the cheapest with the cheapest shipping. Sometimes the shipping is free with spending a certain amount but it is always $4.95 no matter how much you buy. It is not gritty like a lot of protein drinks and doesn't have that protein smell.
Barb RNY August 4, 2008
 PHILIPPIANS 4:13

MacMadame
on 6/16/11 3:09 pm - Northern, CA
I wouldn't do this pre-op. Chances are good that your tastes will change immediately post-op and you'll end up like a lot of people... with tubs of expensive protein powders you can't choke down.

Instead, get a lot of single-serving samples of every different kind you can find and try them out post-op to see which ones you like. You can get samples from the various protein manufacturers and also from VitaLady.com who sells samples of every protein powder she sells.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active