Im a New Member with Questions

smarkone
on 10/28/12 7:49 am

I have been reading every ones messages for a few days now and I thought I would finally join. I just have a couple questions I thought someone might be able to answer, Tomorrow I go for my initial Information session, how long will this take? Is there anything besides the questionnaire that I should take? Also the appointment letter recommends that I bring a loved one / significant other, why do i need someone with me?

I really enjoy reading about every ones journeys, I can wait to be able to blog about mine.

sm.

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/12 9:13 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I am not sure how long yours will be mine was 3 hours. As for a loved one. The idea is that this so much to take in you want someone with you that is going to be your support person, or conversely  one you both hear what all is involved either or both of you may run for the hills.

I took my hubby because I had done a lot of research but I wanted him to hear first hand what all would be involved and get his vote of confidence.

Valerie G.
on 10/28/12 9:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You don't need to bring anyone else.  It does help if you have someone close with a lot of questions, though.  These info sessions vary, and you'll have a to-do list if you decide to move forward from there.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kathleen W.
on 10/28/12 9:18 am - Lancaster, PA

The reason is that there is so much information given in the session that you don't want to miss anything.  Did you do your research?  If you have any questions,  have them written down and ask.  For example, what are you want to address health wise such as diabetes, sleep apnea, etc? what are the types of wls does he/she do?  What are the pros/cons? What kind of food program and vitamins do you need to do on the short and long term?  How long have they done this type of surgery?  Is there a dietician/nutriontist on staff?  How about excercise physiologists on staff?

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

ReinaDeAlcantara
on 10/28/12 11:44 pm - Bronx, NY

OK one of the main reasons they want you to bring your spouse of significant other is because this operation affects them also. The same anxieties we have, they have multiplied by 5. They need to know the changes that need to be made, and to have a strong support system it begins at home. My husband did go with me, and I think it has gone so well for me because he always reminded me of all the instructions when I wanted to ignore them.

Good luck, this is a big step for you and the rest of your life.

Highest weight 10/19/2005  427 lbs
1st Consult on 3/30/2009    402 lbs
Bypass on 1/27/2010          358 lbs
18 months post op               172 lbs
After Hernia repair and Panni  160 lbs

MsBatt
on 10/29/12 1:23 am

I took a look at your profile and see you're dealing with diabetes AND high cholesterol---be sure you research the DS. Not only does the DS have the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, it's also the very best at resolving or preventing these co-morbs.

RosieSweetie21
on 10/29/12 6:12 am

Best of luck to you. This is an exciting, crazy, and even frustrating and scary journey. It is best to have as much information and support as you can get- so make sure you ask any questions you have and don't be in a rush. Others may ask something you forget to,

Most Active