ITS REAL...Newbies HEED the warning (Addiction)

A. Kondrlik
on 1/1/14 12:41 am
VSG on 01/24/13

God bless you for your bravery and honesty.  Please consider joining a 12 step group like AA.  I joined Al anon because my daughter was having addictions issues and it made all the difference. 

Anne

DietPrincess
on 1/1/14 9:42 am

So sorry to hear about your struggle.  I am new here and am waiting for surgery, so I can't offer you any help with that.  Sorry. Thank you for sharing your story.  I have been hearing a lot lately about not drinking after WLS (not that I drink much anyhow) but after reading what you went through, it will keep me from "testing the waters."

RNY  2/27/2014

Meintraining
on 1/2/14 11:02 am

Wow, thank you for your honesty and candor. I am having surgery end of Jan and I appreciate you sharing. Having said that I'm so sorry for what you are going through. You can get back on track. First step is reaching out and also admitting it. I am concerned about transfer addiction. I can totally see myself falling into this. I'll be right back here reaching out for help. I'd love to read your profile. Hang in there. You can do it. 

2_be_me_again
on 1/4/14 7:02 am

Thank you so much for your encouragement!   I have 2 survival tips for you coming into this -  Support Groups are your savior!  Booze should be avoided like the plague! 

Having this surgeory is and has been one of the best things happen to me in my adult life.   See you on the other side!!!!!!!

All my best!

AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

Robin M.
on 1/4/14 2:24 am - Biloxi, MS
VSG on 09/12/13
OMG! Talk about a slap in the face. I am almost 4 months post op and have been sipping here and there. I've never been a beer drinker (I'm still not) but I liked liquor so I tried a bit here and there and it tasted awful. Someone told me I may have to switch to wine. I haven't really found any I liked, however, I did like the wine coolers. I've only drank two but they were sooo good I was sitting here planning my next time to go drink some. Your post just slapped me. It's better to stop it now before it becomes a bad habit. Thank you for your honesty, it may just have saved me from following in your footsteps.

2_be_me_again
on 1/4/14 7:09 am

I'm sooo glad you came across my post at the right time!  It's funny how I considered "wine" to be the safer choice versus hard liquor.  I can recall turning my nose up at the idea of rum and cokes etc.  In the end - it's all the same.  Ironically, I'm kinda bummed that I didn't use those calories to stuff my face.  I soooo want Pizza and Churros - it's a crime!

Yes -STOP it now!  I called myself "kicking the habbit" for about 30 days - then life happened and led me right back to the bottle.  

I'm going to request you now.   Should you ever wanna talk or need support - don't hesitate.

Be strong! Happy New Year!

AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/14 2:47 am

Omg!  Sitting here crying because I can so totally relate.....the drinking sneaks up on you, until you wake up one morning thinking no more of this caa-caa!  It is a miracle I did not lose my job due to being an alcoholic.  I rarely drank before my surgery, I look at where I was a year ago and I could puke......drinking every night....it is a vicious cycle.  I am ok now, still have some room for improvement and take each day as it comes.  I spent 9 months seeing a therapist and really had to deal with issues from my past. I refuse to beat myself up and the hardest thing to do is forgiving yourself.  We are human and we make mistakes....but once we realize why we make the choices we choose, and learn how to say no and RESPECT and LOVE ourselves IT DOES GET BETTER!!!! I stopped reading the second response to your post, too emotional but hope that I have in some way helped someone.  A long, snugly hug from my heart to yours! 

Most Active