Running after WLS

56sunShine14
on 5/1/14 9:25 am

I have been meaning to ask...how far is 5k?

Kate -True Brit
on 5/1/14 4:34 pm, edited 5/1/14 4:35 pm - UK
On May 1, 2014 at 4:25 PM Pacific Time, 56sunShine14 wrote:

I have been meaning to ask...how far is 5k?

3 1/4 miles.   Really odd that you use this for races in the US! We do in the UK as well but although we use miles for road signs etc., our kids learn k in school. Which is, I suppose, even odder!! 

Edited for typos. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Tracy D.
on 5/1/14 6:08 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I was athletic in high school but that was decades ago.  However, I have not jumped on the bandwagon of distance running like so many others in this forum.  Why?  Because I. HATE. IT.   Seriously hate distance running; I was a sprinter all through high school and the longest distance I did was a 440.  I've had to do timed mile runs lately for a fitness group I'm in and I despise it.  You will never catch me training for a marathon.  I'll row, bike, box, ski, etc., just don't make me run more than a half mile!   That kind of running really bothers my ankle (which is messed up and probably needs surgery) and it makes my knees worse than they already are.  

I think it's awesome that so many people take up the sport after they start losing weight.  But don't feel bad if it's not something you aspire to.  There's a lot of other wonderful physical activities and sports you can take part in.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

56sunShine14
on 5/1/14 9:28 am

thanks for all the responses!  And thank you for reminding me that I don't have to run afterward, I can just enjoy being able to move more and better.  That is what I was hoping for with my band but after giving up, there was no chance of it.  Now I have something to look forward to again!

danslillady
on 5/1/14 10:22 pm

My husband has been a runner for over 20 years and he is great at it.  He looks like a lovely gazelle while running.  I've always admired that in him, but I never would do it.  Even though he really wanted me too.  You really have to want it for yourself.  I didn't plan on starting to run it just happened.  The Diva 5K was coming near my town and I thought, why not.  so I started training for it.  At first, I couldn't run 1 minute without feeling like I had been punched in the gut.  I wanted to quit but my pride wouldn't let me.  Now, 12 weeks later, I can run 4 miles without stopping and I can honestly say that I love how empowered I feel while running.  I'm now planning to run a half marathon in September with my husband, my brother in law and my sister in law.

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

Most Active