64 oz. of Water for WLS - Fact or Fiction?

Heavens2Betsy
on 4/24/16 8:09 am
RNY on 02/29/16

So, for many years before I had WLS, I've believed that the need to drink 64 oz. of water a day is a myth or an 'urban legend' and I have always gauged my hydration needs by my actual thirst and the color of my urine being pale yellow, as described here, for example:  "No You Don't Have to Drink 8 Glasses of Water a Day".  I also do not believe that drinking more water "flushes out fat" - that makes no scientific sense. 

Now, I also understand that for WLS patients, especially in the early stages, plenty of water is very important to help heal the traumatized digestive tract, avoid dehydration (due to having to take in such small amounts, i.e., the sip, sip, sip mantra), constipation, and since we eat small amounts of food, we don't get as much liquid from food.  

However, once we've healed and things have sorted themselves out, why do you believe - and is there any actual research/proof you can share, that we NEED to drink the 64 oz. minimum of water?  

Do you see how I'm conflicted?  I'm still having a hard time getting in the 64 oz. minimum, and I don't need the guilty feelings of not doing this WLS thing "right" if the water thing is merely a WLS meme.  At this point, I don't believe that I'm headed for WLS failure without 64 oz. of water.  My urine is pale yellow; I do have a water bottle on me constantly these days; I keep sipping like a hummingbird, and I'm getting at least 48 oz. a day.   I pushed the water really hard when I had the UTI, but that's gone now (and I believe the UTI was hospital acquired due to the catheter) and I'm more relaxed about it.

I know that people's beliefs on this subject can be strong, but, I'm not trying to **** anybody off, or challenge your daily water needs.  I know everybody is different.   I've never been one who blindly follows rules, I wanna know the why of everything - it's just how I am.  I genuinely want to learn more so that I can lose the guilt and be happy with doing my best.  Thanks, everybody!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

Nicole K.
on 4/24/16 8:33 am - Santa Monica, CA
RNY on 02/12/16

I struggle with my water intake, too... I always have, even before RNY.  Curious to see what kind of feedback you're going to get.

Nicole 

RNY on 2/12/2016 with Dr. Kent Sasse

First consultation weight: 309  Goal weight: 150

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/16 9:29 am

I need at least 100 oz. And what you feel works for you won't bother anyone here. It's only when I see someone just outright challenge it for EVERYONE to follow. Since you're very clear that's not your intent, live and let live I say.

Drinking water helps me avoid drinking any calories. It has helped my gfr go from 19 pre-op, to 54 now. My Nephrologist is freaking out! I believe this is from my increase in water intake. It is important that the majority of post op persons, should always defer to water at 64 oz.a day. The rule of thumb is what is best.

Have a great day.

Maria27
on 4/24/16 9:47 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

My surgeon states that 42 oz per day is the bare minimum necessary to avoid dehydration, but that does not equate good health. Personally, I do believe that 64 oz of fluid is necessary for good health, but any fluid counts. Before wls, we took in more fluid naturally from the larger amount of food that we ate. Foods like soup and fruit contain a lot of water. Now, it is important that we drink more water to make up for the deficit, but everything counts, including protein shakes and coffee. Now that I am over a year out from surgery, I find that drinking La Croix sparkling water helps me get in more fluid.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/24/16 11:11 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Fruit and soups made me LOL - Before surgery, ice cream, milkshakes, and Chinese take-out were prob my primary sources of fluid.  Without even knowing it I had over 100 oz. 

After surgery, I had to be more conscious because I had alot of behaviors to change around getting in fluids.  Also, if you get thirsty, you are already on your way to being dehydrated because we cannot chug fluid like before WLS.  So staying hydrated is the best.

Sharon

hollykim
on 4/24/16 10:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 24, 2016 at 3:09 PM Pacific Time, Heavens2Betsy wrote:

So, for many years before I had WLS, I've believed that the need to drink 64 oz. of water a day is a myth or an 'urban legend' and I have always gauged my hydration needs by my actual thirst and the color of my urine being pale yellow, as described here, for example:  "No You Don't Have to Drink 8 Glasses of Water a Day".  I also do not believe that drinking more water "flushes out fat" - that makes no scientific sense. 

Now, I also understand that for WLS patients, especially in the early stages, plenty of water is very important to help heal the traumatized digestive tract, avoid dehydration (due to having to take in such small amounts, i.e., the sip, sip, sip mantra), constipation, and since we eat small amounts of food, we don't get as much liquid from food.  

However, once we've healed and things have sorted themselves out, why do you believe - and is there any actual research/proof you can share, that we NEED to drink the 64 oz. minimum of water?  

Do you see how I'm conflicted?  I'm still having a hard time getting in the 64 oz. minimum, and I don't need the guilty feelings of not doing this WLS thing "right" if the water thing is merely a WLS meme.  At this point, I don't believe that I'm headed for WLS failure without 64 oz. of water.  My urine is pale yellow; I do have a water bottle on me constantly these days; I keep sipping like a hummingbird, and I'm getting at least 48 oz. a day.   I pushed the water really hard when I had the UTI, but that's gone now (and I believe the UTI was hospital acquired due to the catheter) and I'm more relaxed about it.

I know that people's beliefs on this subject can be strong, but, I'm not trying to **** anybody off, or challenge your daily water needs.  I know everybody is different.   I've never been one who blindly follows rules, I wanna know the why of everything - it's just how I am.  I genuinely want to learn more so that I can lose the guilt and be happy with doing my best.  Thanks, everybody!

I personally think everyone , wls or not, should drink as much water as they can, for overall good health.

ttfan
on 4/24/16 10:44 am, edited 4/27/16 9:00 pm
RNY on 08/15/16

I have always hated following rules also, but that's probably why I weigh

300 pounds!    

Lovely_Caprice
on 4/24/16 10:57 am

If you find a need to challenge the professional's advice - then don't drink the water.  There is a reason why.  Nobody needs to prove it to you. Seriously I think you need to grow up.  WLS is seriously.

Heavens2Betsy
on 4/24/16 11:24 am
RNY on 02/29/16

It's true that you're only young once, but you can be immature forever.

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

breathemusic
on 4/26/16 8:43 am

You've got to be kidding me?  So because this person has never been someone who drinks a ton of fluids and therefore is actually wondering about the science behind doctor advice they need to grow up?!  There's nothing wrong with wanting to understand the logic and reasoning behind something.  And frankly, everyone's bodies work differently.  I'm in the same boat where I was never a big drinker and I still am not that way.  I drink when I'm thirsty, end of story.  I still made my goal weight and all of my stats are fantastic.  Some people find that they have better health results when they drink more than 64 oz of water.  ALL medical guidelines and recommendations are based on the average patient, so there will always be some variation.  Am I suggesting that everyone just shirk the 64 oz guideline and wait until they're dehydrated and sick to drink water?  No.  But I do think that if your pee is fairly clear and you're not super thirsty and things are progressing smoothly after your surgery, chance are you're doing just fine even if you're maybe averaging under the 64 oz.

To the OP, listen to your surgeon and TRY to drink lots of water, especially during the healing phase, but ALSO listen to your body.  And also hopefully you aren't turned off of forums like this that are largely helpful to many people just because some people feel the need to be snarky.

Most Active