Did you tell??

z_m14
on 10/22/16 4:32 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

I told most of my family and some of my friends that I see on a daily basis. For example, my friends at work were told, and my close friends were told. I didn't really "broadcast" my surgery; many people don't know I had it, but the people to whom I felt the closest were the ones I told.

C. Lauer
on 10/22/16 5:46 pm - Lauderdale by the Sea, FL

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  You are embarking on a wonderful journey!!

Everyone is different, has different family relationships, different friends, unique work environments, and so on.  I recommend doing what you are most comfortable with.  When you return to work from surgery anyone that takes breaks or eats lunch with you will notice the amount and types of food you are eating or not eating and the cat is out of the bag.  The bigger question is what are you going to say to someone you have not seen in a while -- depending on the length of time you may look like an entirely different person.

I'm not saying broadcast your situation but when you start dropping weight people will notice and should you be less than honest the downside of liar liar pants on fire is a hard one to shake.  Think about the public reactions to Star Jones, Al Rocker, Governor Christy.  I know of a person who had the surgery and said she had cancer -- totally not cool and the damage it did to her career and reputation was unrepairable.

In my case I needed to tell my boss and he asked my why would I resort to that?   I asked him why he didn't want me to be a normal sized person?  He indicated that he never had thought of it in that way and wished me a speedy recovery.  In fact while I was recovering he came to my house and walked with me -- now how nice was that? 

Everyone has an opinion on weight loss and many of them (especially the normal size people) don't realize just how much of a struggle a morbidly obese individual has with food.  Tell if you like but if asked my recommendation is to be honest if the subject comes up.  When people had harsh things to say or were not exactly complimentary, I just indicated it's not for everyone but it's the choice I made for me.

Today when people comment on how healthy I eat (I cannot eat sugar) I let the cat out of the bag -- and on a few occasions I've met others who had the surgery too -- now that made for some wonderful conversations!!!!  In my world honesty is the best policy!!

Congratulations on your decision!!  God Speed and wish you a Speed Recovery!!!  You deserve to be healthy, happy and a person of normal size!!!!

momtothree
on 10/27/16 6:10 pm - Canada

I told no one but my husband, kids, and medical professionals.    I do not share any of my medical information outside this small circle.

HW/285  SW/261.6  CW/177.0  GOAL 155

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/16 8:42 am

I told no one except one friend who visited me and took me home. I'm very glad I never requested anyone's opinion.

Most Active