I need strength.....

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/29/16 4:35 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I ate carefully during the pre=op.  But once a week I went to a favorite restraunt for a farewell dinner.  I still lost weight and was otherwise making good choices.  I needed it at the time, but 2 years out, I do not miss those places. 

You want to go into surgery as healthy as possible to aid your health and recovery post-op.  Keep in in moderation and be really good the 2 weeks before surgery. Be as mobile as you can be over the preop period so you can get that mobility back post op and speed your recovery.

Good luck on your journey

Sharon

Teena D.
on 12/29/16 5:41 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

My surgery is on the 12th so I'm right there with you. I have been eating all my favourite foods to be honest, but I just haven't had 2nds, and avoid the things that I don't like as much but would normally eat because they are there. My weight has stayed constant which is great for me over Christmas.  I have the liquid diet the week before surgery, so I'm sure I will lose some weight that week too.  Do you have to do a liquid diet? If you haven't been prescribed one, maybe you could just do it on your own for that week? Good luck! You've come too far to be turned back now.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Daniel B.
on 12/29/16 6:00 am - Mansfield, OH
RNY on 01/20/17

I'm not required to have a liquid diet but I was planning on doing it anyway since it helps with the liver.  I'm a Disney World 2 weeks prior and will be able to walk a lot and overall more active.

My preop appointment is January 5th (day before leaving for Disney) so I will find out more then.

Brandi Girl
on 12/29/16 6:10 am
WLS on 10/18/11

I allowed myself one last MEAL of whatever favorite I wanted prior to surgery! I used the couple of weeks prior to my surgery to decide what exactly I wanted my 'last meal' to be. I forced myself to wait until the last meal I was allowed before starting my liquid only pre-surgery phase. I think I hyped it up in my mind so much by the time the meal came, it was not as wonderful as I had thought it would be. That was a nice bonus. 

Dee R.
on 12/29/16 7:27 am - CA

I had 5 food funerals.  5 things that I knew I wasn't going to be eating for quite a while.  But, I spread them out over 5 weeks.  The rest of the week I did great!  I managed to lose about 35 lbs. before my surgery over a 5 month period.  It worked for me.  I just put it into my mind that I didn't need those foods to survive. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/29/16 8:02 am, edited 12/29/16 12:03 am
RNY on 12/31/13

These feelings are a good sign that you may want to consider rallying support from professionals (an eating disorder counselor, bariatric counselor, an overeating group) for after surgery.

Surgery does NOT change these feelings -- thus the reason so many people have significant regain.  Examining your feelings about food and why it is so important to you -- so important that you'd consider risking a life-saving surgery to "have a fling with food" -- is very important work.  

This is not a criticism.  I have been there and these are things that I continue to work on to remain successful in overcoming what I consider my addiction to food.  

Substitute "heroin" for food -- and "rehab" for "surgery" in your post above.  What would you think if you read that from an addict who was preparing to enter rehab?  

I totally GET IT.  Totally.  But I also know how strong those bad relationships with food can be.

It's very important to understand that while you may lose easily during your honeymoon period -- and if your lucky, not feel like eating much -- that almost always ENDS... and you are left with your same relationship and feelings about food.  That's why so many vets repeat over and over that while surgery is on your stomach, it does not fix your brain. 

I sincerely wish you success -- please consider starting to address these feelings now rather than later.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Daniel B.
on 12/29/16 8:55 am - Mansfield, OH
RNY on 01/20/17

Thanks Kat.  I appreciate the honest feedback.

Nikitabanana
on 12/29/16 10:28 am
RNY on 05/25/16

If we could lose weight or stick to a diet on discipline alone none of us would need this tool :) Perhaps use the fear that you may be denied surgery the day of as motivation to stay on track. It's overwhelming (or was to me) to think I can never have these foods again. It's simply not true. You can chose to have anything you want post-op/post-healing as you have (or will have) power over food - it won't have power over you (you will of course gain weight back if you choose to eat the same way you eat pre-surgery).

Post op you may find too that food is no longer (and never was) your friend. I try not to look at food as my friend or enemy (although I do refer to my trigger foods as my enemies lol) rather I treat food simply as fuel and nutrition for my body - nothing else. It's no longer a reward or form of comfort.

You are so close - hang in there. Stay busy. You got this.

Hugs and strength being sent your way... 

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16 / LBL with Dr. Nandagopal 3/9/18 - PS SW 155

HW - 280. Opti start - 280. Surgery day - 266. CW - 142.

Kathy S.
on 12/29/16 10:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Daniel,

Don't hate me but I had surgery back in the day there was no required losing weight before.  I had so many last meals it was funny at first and then I got tired of it and got serious.  Keep busy and start that weight loss surgery bucket list. Mine got me through some really tough times.  I am proud to say I have crossed off several items. That feeling is better than any food I could consume!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Daniel B.
on 12/29/16 10:55 am - Mansfield, OH
RNY on 01/20/17

Thanks Kathy!

I am also lucky I did not have to lose weight but in the process of nutrition counseling lost 41 pounds.  

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Happy New Year

Most Active