'Wellness programs '

NHPOD9
on 4/22/17 1:17 pm

I participate in our district's wellness program, but I hate that money motivates me to do so, as like you, I don't trust them at all. But, by the end of the plan year, I will get $800 (before taxes) back for watching a few videos and taking some quizzes.

While the program is pretty comprehensive, like Julie's, I can't say that it makes me healthier. My Fitbit is a much greater motivator than a a few videos.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Cosmos2112
on 4/22/17 4:25 pm

Once I received a $25 gift card to JC Penny's for participating in the program. I gave it to my daughter.

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

White Dove
on 4/24/17 12:49 pm - Warren, OH

I am late to this discussion, but still have some things to say. When I was diagnosed with diabetes in the 1980's there was a lot of ignorance about it. Many people considered it a disability and hindrance for someone working.

People with diabetes often perpetuated that by insisting on special accommodations at work. Things like, "No, I can't make that trip because I have diabetes and might end up having a meal later than normal". Or, "I can't work late, because I am diabetic and have to rest".

I knew if I told my management about my diabetes, that it could be used as an excuse to keep me from being offered challenging assignments and from being promoted. So I kept it a secret for more than 20 years. That required me to be extremely disciplined about my food and exercise.

I had one of the first glucometers and tested often. It was so "new" that One Touch sent a factory representative to make sure I knew how to use it correctly. I counted carbs, exercised and made sure my A1C tests were in range. I could not take the chance of having a low blood sugar reaction at work.

I did finally tell a manager when I had RNY. Ironically, she is now diabetic herself.

The problem I see with these wellness programs is that your medical information can be used against you. A person can have medical issues like overweight, diabetes, heart problems, breathing difficulties and still be an effective and valuable employee. Having your company know all of your medical history can make you the target of discrimination. There is also the risk of others finding out and having a weapon to use against you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/25/17 7:19 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

None of these programs has ever saved the company money, so they are BS and an invasion of privacy for no reason.

Sharon

Most Active