Sassy Senior Newbie from Dallas, TX

SassySenior
on 10/14/11 10:03 pm - DALLAS, TX
I am 65, and at high risk with a high BMI  & co-morbidities, lincluding Diabetes and Arthritis. I have been studying wls for 10 years. I have Medicare now and can get the surgery. I'm going with the Lap Band. I'm on the pre-op diet, and have lost 25 pounds in 3 months.

I live in Dallas and have chosen the best surgeon in the Southwest, but I am thinking of changing because his office is quite far away. So now I'm looking for the 2nd best surgeon. I'm a member of at least 5 groups to get a balanced view. They range from gastric bypass to lap-band to hard core fanatics who hate the surgeries and have had horrible experiences. I have a lot of links and information for anyone who wants it.

I would love to hear from anyone who can relate to me.
Tammy G.
on 11/7/11 6:09 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
With over 200 pounds to lose, I wouldn't even think about getting a lap band and would be wary of a surgeon who would recommend it to someone with such a high BMI. Many people with arthritis choose the sleeve or DS because it allows for greater weight loss and still can take NSAIDS. I opted for the RNY, myself.

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

frenchgrapes
on 3/11/12 2:05 pm - TX
I had the sleeve back in December 2011. I'm 56, was on Metformin and Byetta for diabetes, and on meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Plus, had problems with very low Vitamin D and arthritis.
Been off all the meds since the day of surgery. Been able to exercise, which helps with the arthritis. Still have lots of aches and pains and hope that will improve as the weight comes off. If not, then I'll look into other options but for now I'm enjoying being med free.

I chose the sleeve to avoid the malabsorption problems too. Three months out and I couldn't be happier. Feel better than I have in years.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
SassySenior
on 3/11/12 10:19 pm - DALLAS, TX
Adam,

I wanted the sleeve, but Medicare only covers RNY, Lap Band or DS. Happy for you, though. Sounds like you're doing great. I only hope I can say that about myself some time this year. I have a new Dr. appt. Apr. 2. Interesting user name. Why frenchgrapes?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

anna R.
on 3/12/12 1:24 am
 I completely agree. Many many people end up with revision with the lap-band and at your age, (I am almost 60 myself) you don't want to be thinking of more surgery down the road. I say do it once, do it right. I have degenerative arthritis and have had 15 orthopedic surgeries. Right now I am typing one handed as this is the 3rd wrist joint that went and had to be fused. Also, fibromyalgia. So I take Celebrex, Voltarin gel (a nsaid cream), tramadol, and a few other meds with no problems.
Due to some esophogeal problems I had to have a BPD without DS. It was the one and only choice offered to me due to my health issues. I had absolutely no problems with the surgery or after. Because he also had to do a myotomy I was on fluids for a month. I'm sure your saying OMG I would never do that. But I have no regrets I am coming up to my second anniversary. I have lost 126 pounds and and wearing a size 10petite. The Dr. doesn't want me to loose anymore. Complete success. I can eat most foods, and sugar isn't a problem for me like most with the rny. I'm not recommending the BPD, as it is the most mal absorbative option and I have a neurologist that monitors my labs to be sure I don't experience any nerve problems, which almost happened. There is a lot of work to be put in, but the rewards are beyond belief. Good luck! 

Anna

SassySenior
on 3/12/12 8:50 am - DALLAS, TX
Anna,

I'm not sure what you're agreeing with? What are you recommending?

anna R.
on 3/14/12 9:08 am
 I was agreeing with Tammy. Sorry when I started typing there were no other posts. I just don't think you will find success with a band based on so many stories I have read over the last 2 years. It seems revision is done often. When I had my surgery I decided I wanted to do it once and that's it. And it is a permenant way of life, those with bands it seems to me feel better knowing they can have it removed. What is the point if that is the case? 

Anna

Barb H.
on 3/20/12 4:59 pm - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
I have to agree with all the other posters. It's too bad your insurance doesn't cover the sleeve, but you can't take NSAIDS with the band so I would encourage you to look into DS. I know a few people who have had luck with the band but I was not one of them. I had mine removed and revised to RNY about 2 months ago. Seriously, please reconsider getting the band. Understand that you have to get fills and unfills in order to find the right amount of restriction and you need to check to see if your insurance covered them. My surgeon charges $250 for each fill or unfill. This may not even be an issue for you, but RNY and DS are way more effective than the band. Feel free to ask me questions if you want. By the way, I'm 57.
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

SassySenior
on 3/20/12 8:04 pm - DALLAS, TX
I appreciate the concern, but I am not interested in RNY, and the DS is not suited for me. I would consider the sleeve only because a few surgeons I respect like it. Seems awfully dangerous to me, though, since they remove a good portion of your stomach. Once gone, can never be reclaimed.

BTW Medicare covers the surgery and related costs like fills, etc.

Much as I appreciate all your posts, I'm not looking for advice on what surgery to have. You don't know me or my medical history, so you don't know what I'm basing my decision on.

I just found out the 4th surgeon I was to see in April does not do the lap band so I'm now having to start over. I'm depressed, disappointed and discouraged.

If you care to offer support -- NOT ADVICE -- I'd love to hear from you. But please stop trying to "help" me change my mind.

Barb H.
on 3/21/12 2:41 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
My apologies if I upset you. I can see you have done your research and have chosen the procedure that you feel will work best for you. I'm so glad that all the follow up is covered by your insurance. That is a huge financial relief!

What a bummer that you have to search for another surgeon. But from the way you are writing, you are a very intelligent woman and will find the right person for you.

I wish all the best for you in this journey!
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 100 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2336 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3542 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4806 views