Hi I'm a Newbie

Flava_of_bravery
on 12/22/13 9:10 am - Plattsburgh, NY

I'm pre op, considering - I'm 27 and have arthritis in my ankles, knees, hips, and severe nerve root death in my back (sciatica and lumbago from a surgery for scoliosis). I was wondering if any had some similar symptoms? (my bmi is over 57) - Did they go away or at least lessen with WLS? Thanks in advance. 

mkvand
on 12/22/13 4:37 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I'm pre-op, so I can't speak from experience, but the comment I got from my ortho when I asked if losing weight would help with my pain is "losing weight helps with everything."  I hope he's right.  My other ortho (yes, I have two, they specialize in different body parts) said losing weight would allow me to delay knee replacement by several years.

Flava_of_bravery
on 12/23/13 3:34 am - Plattsburgh, NY

Thank you, it's good to know there might be some hope for my legs and back. 

Newlori44
on 1/10/14 11:45 pm
VSG on 12/23/13 with

I have RA and so far (20) days out 25 pounds lost I have more energy then I've ever had and less pressure on my joints has been amazing. I can jog up the stairs without hurting. 

Hoping you will get some huge relief too. ;)

Flava_of_bravery
on 1/12/14 3:27 pm - Plattsburgh, NY

Thank you, I hope so too - that's amazing that you can job up stairs without hurting with RA, I'm happy for you - thank you for sharing :) 

Pookah
on 1/20/14 4:17 am - Dallas, TX

I'd say any weight loss is going to help ease some of the pressure and pain.  With what you are describing, I doubt your pain will completely go away just with WLS.  Nerve issues are horrible - as I am finding out personally.  I am sorry to hear you are dealing with so many painful conditions so young.

I, too, am pre-op.  My RNY is a week away, today.  I have osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibro, myofascial pain syndrome, nerve damage, and moderate scoliosis.  I am in my mid-thirties now and I was budging up to a 50 BMI.  In the last two years I have lost about fifty pounds, thirty of that in 2013. 

Talk to your doctors and gather information.  And remember that support is out there if you ask for it.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 98 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2334 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3541 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4805 views