Scared, Excited, Confused, Anxious

sybibi17
on 9/9/12 6:13 pm - Rockville, MD
I posted this message on the Roux En Y message board, but I would truly like to have feedback from the Black American Forum; as I am a Black American Female.

I'm so scared and somewhat confused about whether or not I want to do this. I guess I am afraid of what I will look like after the surgery (Surgery date: 9/27/12). My legs, arms, butt, and breasts. Will everything be sagging. I know these concerns are so superficial and unimportant, but I am so scared. I have been walking about 4 miles on the weekend just to get myself ready for a continuous workout regimin.

For those who have had the surgery, did you have doubts and concerns? I am a 33 years old 320lbs female who is suppose to lose 5% of my weight. I have started my liquids and have been as I stated prior walking. Unfortunately I have not weighed myself because I again, I am so afraid and worried that I have not completed the goal that was set.

I know everyone's body is different, have various shapes, and weight proportions, but I was wondering could anyone assist me on what exercises, I should do to get my arms to a nice descent size? What foods were eaten for the first two-three weeks of your post-op? Was there any complications? Were you able to travel after a week of the surgery? is it true that your age can be considered a factor when losing so much weight (meaning will there be a lot of skin hanging)?

I would appreciate anyone's assistance and yes, as I have stated before I know everyone's experience is different, therefore I would appreciate any positive and truthful feedback.

Thanks,

vogue
on 9/11/12 5:13 pm
VSG on 08/30/12
in this age of weaves, porcelain veneers, boob jobs and more, I aint even worried about that... whatever is sagging THAT much can be fixed, by hook or by crook.... what you need to worry about FIRST is being healthy....

some insurance companies cover post-op plastic surgery, most dont.... as I tell me nieces, instead of $200 weaves, $75 nail & lash upkeep, put that money in a cookie jar until you reach your goal....

ots almost impossible to not lose weight on the pre-op diet...adding in exercise only will make the loss easier...the first 2 or 3 weeks after surgery, the diet is pretty much the same as pre-op.... each Dr has his protocol as to when to move on to pureed foods...

some people go back to work a week after surgery.... I ran 3 miles the day before surgery and Im 12 days post-op and today was the first day I could muster up energy to walk more than a mile...as far as travel, that depends.... I dont feel like sitting up in the car for a long ride but I could go lay on a beach for a few hours.... everyone is different...
MSW will not settle
on 9/12/12 4:30 am, edited 9/12/12 4:30 am
Criteria vary so much among docs & people it really is near impossible to give a straight answer. However, all of your feelings and need for feed back are normal. It might not be your best answer but it can give you a clue as to what you may experience.  I asked for my docs patients and met a few on line.  One got together with me before my surgery and stopped by after my procedure.  She still is a great resource even today. 

Most often you will get the seemingly obviously useless answer that everyone is different.   Translation:  I don't want t leave you hanging but there is nothing uniquely useful I can say to you.  Keep asking & someone may have an answer you need to hear.  Anyone who tires of the question does not have to read it. 

Doubts and concerns are normal.  If you had none something is very wrong with you.  Consider this:  Is it better to sag or to be weighed down by hanging body fat.  That fat will eventually sag too just differently and likely more of it than you have today.  Cosmetically anything can be enhanced with few exceptions.  Healthwise, everything is not as easy a fix.  Pick the more important one for you.  Health or cosmetics. 

Genetics and a consistent sin care routine will help determine your skin tone.  Expect the fattest areas to have more flab.  Expect muscle tone to help but not o perfect.  Forget about that slender twenty year old body.  Even if you were a teen today, that time has past ruined by obesity.  Make the most of what you have. 

Take  a look at some of the past posts by MsMartitalinda and myself for before & recent pics.  We are both fifty + and had rny in our 40s.  We exercise and work at maintenance.  She is 5+ and I am 3+ year out.  Bust your @$$ at this daily and I think we are pretty typical. 

We have different body types.  I out weigh her by 20lbs but she is taller than I.  She skips meals and has to load up on protein shakes to keep her weight up.  I drive past a buffet restaurant and fat attaches itself to my @$$.  Commitment and refusal to ever buy a larger size keeps me going if my clothes get tight.  For MsMartita it is her daily photos.  For you, you will find your way as needed.  

Stay concerned.  Never get complacent.  Never allow yourself to make excuses.  I have a long list of reasons why I struggle, but tomorrow when I go for my follow up that bull**** is not part of the duscussion. 

Exercise daily & work up to a full hr of daily cardio as your health permits.  Strength train daily as well.  View exercise like your need to be clean.  It is not optional.  Improve your eating habits and avoid the "last meals" pre op.  You can and you will do this if you are comitted to success.   

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

sybibi17
on 9/12/12 12:23 pm - Rockville, MD
Thank MSW, I truly appreciate your honesty.  Your words have truly touched me and gained true insight on what I need to do and look forward to. 
Thicklin
on 9/13/12 6:35 am - TN
VSG on 04/23/12
Hey good luck! I'm sure at one point and time most of us was thinking the same before surgery. How we will look after wls. I'm a few months out and yes I'm already seeing the sag aka batwings  arms no matter what I do. But, I still feel good and people still notice my progress. This have been the best decision of my life and I wouldn't take it back for the world. I'm off of cpap, no more high blood. I feel better at night when I see my kids off to bed knowing I'll be around a little long for them.

2legit2quit
on 9/14/12 7:41 pm - MS
RNY on 10/24/12
That's one of my biggest concerns also the sagging and being put to sleep. Like I haven't been put to sleep before. This is my second go around on the WLS, first one Realize Band '08 and next RNY. This will be my 3rd time put to sleep in a 12 year period; every 4 years starting in '04 with breast reduction. Something about this 3rd time, but when I look at the whole picture, I just pray and think about being healthy.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 197 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1141 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2040 views