Hair loss

_idonerds
on 1/17/15 9:40 am - Mount vernon, NY
with

So I've been reading about all this hair loss after surgery ... would be be safe to keep my hair in box braid, and things like that for about 1 year....

TheNewT
on 1/19/15 3:51 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Protective styling won't stop the hair loss a lot of people experience when having these surgeries. Styles like braids or twists will cut down on the day to day manipulation. And we know daily manipulation can cause hairs to shed, but not nearly the amount of hair loss due to surgery.

If you get the hair loss it will happen. To skip it will truly be the luck of the draw. I'm not sure I would want those shed hairs tangled with my attached hair and hidden in braids. Detangling could be a witch after 2-3 months!!

Instead I just cross my fingers, wish for the best, expect the worst, realize no one has officially gone bald, took care of the hair I have and know that it will grow back if I lose it. I'm 5 months out and so far so good with my natural hair.

NikkyBeauty
on 1/31/15 5:53 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Do not braid your hair! My cousin had DS in July and got braids during the holidays and when she took them down patches of her hair came out! The hair is weak and sheads and the braids caused extra tension and left her practically bald! She went from middle of the back length thick natural hair to shoulder lenght thin visible scalp and bald spots! When it if you lose your hair it thins and I personally think braiding makes the process worse 

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Patience1
on 2/1/15 9:13 am
with

That's great to know. I'm 13 days post op and just took my twist out. I was considering doing it again but I won't now. 

Tryingtodothis
on 2/13/15 10:37 pm

I was thinking I should get braids so my hair will be one less think to worry about but not if it's coming out in patches I have read that taking a skin hair and nail supplement with Biotin will help

butterball73
on 3/26/15 9:29 am

this happen to me had lapband 2014 my lapband doc told me to get more protein and add omega 3 and get a protein drink with all my essential vitamins in it hope this works it worked for me.

sor09
on 3/30/15 7:52 pm

Any one getting WLS will get some hair loss and depends on your physical state, but it does grow back. Make sure you get your vitamins and protein in. Hair is protein. Protective styles, and more regular conditioning treatments help maintain what you have. Tight hair styles and pulling on the hair can make it weaker, and too will make your hair come out with or without WLS. Our hair is already fragile enough so be kind to what you have.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 188 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1131 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2022 views