Support ?????

80sBaby90sKid
on 2/7/15 11:28 am

I am a 26 year old female and I just have a simple question... Has/Did anyone tried/try to talk you out of surgery ? I don't have a lot of friends or family so not a lot of people know but certain ones are not being supportive saying things like black people don't do that or I'm going to lose my hair and teeth... I need this surgery to help me be healthier but they don't see that... so I just want to know if you personally had any issues with support ? If so how did you fix it ?

lucybarreto
on 2/8/15 4:47 am

Hi sorry you are being harassed, but look at it this way ask yourself whose health is important.   My family didn't agree but if I don't take care of me nobody else will.  Since I have had my revision, I am doing so well.  I am glad I did it if not I would of probably had a heart attack.  From 311llbs in 2009RNY til now 148lbs.  Good luck in your decision.

80sBaby90sKid
on 2/8/15 6:37 am

Hi Thank you and you are right if I dont look out for me who else will.  glad your doing so well so many years down the road !!! keep up the awesome work !!!

Memelee504
on 2/25/15 7:14 am - New Orleans, LA
with

Ppl will always questioned things they don't understand. As an adult you owe no one an explanation as to what you are doing and why.. Do what's best for you my love? 

170_Journey
on 3/2/15 10:42 am

Hi!  I'm a 42 yo, newbie with my surgery date scheduled.  I haven't shared my journey with a lot of people because I didn't want to keep explaining or hear a lot of opinions.  There is always someone that will have a negative story or comment.  I decided six months ago to work toward having this surgery.  Today was my first day on the pre-op diet.  With every step forward, I'm more and more sure I'm doing the right thing.  I'm 271 pounds, a size 22 and the mother of a four year old. Mom diabetic, I have high blood pressure and polycyclic ovarian syndrome.  I think the most important question, the only important question is, what are you willing to do to be healthy.  I've lost and gained significant amounts of weight.  It gets harder every time so I knew I needed a tool to help me.  Do what's right for you...

Rtfactor1
on 3/3/15 8:46 am - CA

Yes a doctor I had tried to talk me out of the surgery and that was 10 years ago (April 2004). I went ahead and had the surgery and am glad I did.

sor09
on 3/30/15 7:41 pm

First time, I told people.... was pressured, and I gain instead of loosing... an took a long vacation. My health got worse, so I tired again, keeping things on the low. With much focus, I was successful and still maintaining success. It can make even close family members nervous to see you improving your health and not being the large person that made them comfortable and the focus off them for what ever reason. You cannot fix them. You can only fix you. You deserve to be healthy and you are worth it. WLS is only a tool, but it will be there for you everyday for the rest of your life post-op. It will be up to you to chose how you maintain it in the long run. People get mixed up with myths, in beliefs and forget or do not really know the facts. Just follow the facts. You could loose some hair as is natural; it will grow back. You will only loose your teeth if you do not brush them... This web site is good for the solitary person for support. Visit different site for more facts and data to add to your journal. Good luck on your journey.

80sBaby90sKid
on 4/2/15 12:43 am

Thank you very much I've decided to continue on with surgery is going to be tough because I have very little support but I feel with this site and the little support I do have I can make it I did hit a  road block when psych wouldn't clear me for surgery but I'm working on getting cleared by psych I just needed to know I was not alone as far as being criticized and told I was doing the wrong thing I've decided to keep things on a need to know basis at this point 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 181 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1125 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2012 views