started at 53 bmi

AsuraDunnigan
on 5/17/11 8:03 am - Detroit, MI
Well, I have been very hesitant to write about my wls as it seems I am not living up to my expectations.  I have been really struggling, returned to pre op bad habits.  I don't feel like I have much restriction, in fact I can eat almost as much as before.  I know that a lot of it is me, but I have been unsucessful at my attempts to get to goal...I have even gained weight over the winter.  It seems as if it may not be meant to happen for me.  I was exercising regularly, then I developed dizziness and low blood pressure.  I was riding my exercise bike several times per week, but my tailbone now protrudes and it is very painful.   I was even interested in walking, but my left foot has been hurting for months.  I know that if I want things to change, I am going to have to change it.  I have been calling my surgeon's office for support for several months, but I have not spoken with anyone other than the receptionist.  I just feel like a failure.  My size 16 pants are now tight.  I was hoping to be in a 10 by now.  If anyone has had any similar issues with the vsg please reply.  I am thinking of a revision to the DS.  Tell me what you guys think.
Ticker represents first goal.          
Doris Cervenka
on 5/17/11 9:15 am, edited 5/17/11 9:33 am - Ganado, TX
      I know having the surgery is probabily the hardest thing you ever did.   It hard you expect more from yourself and fail.  Even  family expects you to lose more weight.  Don't just give up. Why not try swimming  daily in an indoor pool.  Do free standing  yoga.  Get back to eating right and maybe you will start feeling better.  Take your vitamins.  Try precooked homemade low fat meals.  Find something to do other than watch television.  I know it is  easier said,  Than done and it is really hard.  Spend the money on trainer or a gym with an indoor pool.  Instead of  twelve thousand Dollars, time and energy in  another surgery.   Put the money and time into yourself in a different way.  Find bubby to help you or a family member.  Someone to tell your problems to.  You lose 67 pounds you are smaller than you were.  Even if you gained some back.  You can do it again.  You have not finished with your life start living again. Start thinking about what want out of your life.  Do you really want to make the changes.  Or Have another surgery and go back to the way your life was before. Because ,It will not be the same.   Eat everything you want again. 
       Your still killing your self one bite at a time.   I would kill to be a size 16. 
At my heaviest. I was 390 pounds.  I down to 340 pounds. I  I have my surgery in five days.  Hoping I can make it. 
   You can still get down to a size 10.  Reorganizes your life and your priorities.  Go to Overeater Anonymous or Pouch Pals and find a friend who can help with the same struggles as you.

Maybe you do need to have pouch test done. But, it is pointless if are continue eating as before.  The same goes for the D.S.  Something needs to change and  It is not the size of you stomach.

Sorry, I am not trying to be mean.  I just trying to help and be real.
AsuraDunnigan
on 5/18/11 1:44 am - Detroit, MI
no problem. I took what you said constructively. I appreciate the honest feedback.
ahill4455
on 5/18/11 6:12 am
I am sorry you are having such a hard time.   Sometimes I feel the same way you do.   I know one thing, I am out of the honeymoom period.

My BMI stated at 54. 

The surgery was just a tool, that is what I have to keep telling myself.   I must work the tool by food choices and working out.

There was some good suggestion above for working out.   All, I would say is make sure your getting your protein in.  Someone told me that beef feels u up faster and stay in you longer.  So, I have been trying that.   It has work these past couple weeks.  

Also, I know that I only lose about 6 pounds a month now, when I use to lose 12.   I also notice, that I can eat anything and I eat a good amount too.  Not as much a before, because I could eat a full place of spagetti and then get seconds.   I can eat a thrid of a plate but I am really stuff, so I try to cut it before then.  But I can eat more if is nice delicious carbs and cut the eating short when it is baked chicken or fish.   Evaluate what you are eating.

Good luck and keep trying.
  HW :364 
  SW: 328.5
  CW: 219.8
  GW: 185

Pre Op:  35.5 lbs lost
Month 1: 30 lbs lost
Month 2: 12 lbs lost
Month 3: 12.7 lbs lost
Month 4: 13.4lbs lost
Month 5: 6.2 lbs lost
Month 6: 8.2 lbs lost
Month 7: 7 lbs lost
Month 8: 7 lbs lost
Month 9: 3.4 lbs lost
Month 10: 4.2 lbs lost
Month 11: 0 lost
Month 12: 4.6 lbs lost

JasonC
on 5/18/11 9:36 am - Coldwater, OH

I also go through times when it seems like i am constantly eating.  These are the times I feel stressed, depressed, or out of control.  These are the hardest times because I want to revert back to my old ways of coping, eating.  I try and do some more constructive things, play catch with my kids, clean, yard work, or take a walk.  I also have trouble with foot pain, especially in the beginning.  I have 2 or 3 walking DVDs i use.  The walking DVDs seem easier on the feet plus they work out the upper body. 

Don't focus on what should have been done in the past, it won't change a thing.  Don't focus on changing tomorrow, that's too far away.   Focus on what you can change this minute.   When you've accomplished that, focus on the next minute

GOOD LUCK

Brenda C.
on 5/19/11 4:04 am
Asura,

My BMI when I entered my Program was 74 - and that wasn't my highest.  I am now at a 55 BMI, and working my ass off to make me healthy. 

Portion control is paramount, and FOOD JOURNAL EVERYDAY, you will become aware of good and bad habits.  Get a set of smaller plates - less food fills a smaller plate.  Much of what we are facing is in our head, so you have to get your head in the right place, not just your need for food.

As for exercise, I have LOTS wrong with my legs, so I swim.  I have bumped my swimming to two hours -- I set a goal, to swim 5000 meters a day, by summer -- I may not meet that goal, but I am proud of myself for what I am doing.  Oh, and I was out of the pool for a week (had an out of state funeral), and my feet were making me whimper!  I am back in the pool, my feet/legs are thanking me.

Surgery is a TOOL, you have to do the work to make the tool assist you.  Are you in any support groups???  Maybe you need to get back to the basics:  Food restriction, exercise, supplements, water, and staying positive.

It didn't answer your surgery revision question, but maybe you can do this without more surgery?  Much luck!!!  I am only six months out, so take my advice with a grain of salt.  When I am a year/two years out, then maybe my advice will be more solid... Hang in there, asking your question is a GREAT START!!

Brenda : )~
AsuraDunnigan
on 5/19/11 8:07 am - Detroit, MI
THX
Beam me up Scottie
on 5/27/11 8:54 am
I'd think about a revision. Sooner is better then later, when you've regained a significant amount of weight.

Scott
Most Active