Protein Powders or Drinks

tart
on 4/20/12 11:28 am - Washington, DC
Hi - My name is Keith.  It was recommended that I add more protein to my diet.  I now drink a protein shake (boost 240 calories) daily for lunch with a side of fruit t expensive.  Does anyone have any ideas concerning a quality protein powder or shake?  Boost is good but it is expensive. Thanks Keith.
Elaine2
on 4/20/12 12:12 pm, edited 4/20/12 12:13 pm - Atlanta, GA
Keith
I don't know the price of Boost but I'll give you some suggestions----

I use RTD Lean Body by Labrada---260 cals but 40 g protein and 8-9 carbs. I get this online from the Vitamin Shoppe at $33/case (12) with free shipping. If you want to try it, I would suggest buying a single serving (17 oz) at either GNC or a Vitamin Shoppe store to see if you like it.

I also use EAS 100% Whey--Vanilla or Chocolate. Available in my local grocery store (Publix) but I think you can get it at Walmart for about $15 for the tub. It's 130 cals with 23 protein and 3 carbs. I make it with water, scoop of protein and either crystal light (orange for the vanilla) or a pump of sugar free syrup for the chocolate. You could add fruit (I would only do berries) but I don't think it's necessary.

Lot of folks use Premiere Protein RTD from Costco. It gets good reviews from allot of folks on the forums.

There's hundreds of choices out there. So good luck.

BiscuitNYC
on 4/21/12 4:56 am - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13
The cheapest thing to do is to get a powder and make the shakes yourself. It's a large initial outlay of cash, but per serving makes much more sense than Ready To Drink shakes, unless you can get to a Costco or other warehouse type place, or that has free shipping. You can also try making the shakes with milk/soy milk/almond milk for extra protein and calcium.
tart
on 4/21/12 5:41 am - Washington, DC
Thanks - Most of the lstores that sell iquid protein drinks (boost) have free shipping.
WoolyBully
on 4/21/12 8:12 am - MI
 Hi Keith,

I use Premier Protein available at Costco. It comes in a box of 18, 11oz drinks. the unit price is about  1.35 per drink. The Chocolate tastes like a glass of chocolate milk. The basics are 

Calories 160
Carbs 5g
Net Carb 1g
Protein 30g

My powder is Body Fortress, which costs about $16.00 for 2lbs which has about 24 servings.
As far as taste, its average.

The basics are 
Cal 140
Carbs 8g
Net Carbs 8g
Protein 26g

In case you haven't noticed, I'm cheap.

BTW the Strawberry Body fortress makes a great strawberry smoothie.

8 oz skim milk
1 Scoop protein powder
4 frozen strawberries
1 pack of splenda

Using a blender, blend until smooth.

Cal 230 (plus the cal of the strawberries)
Carbs 21
Protein 34

Gary

SafetyTurtle
on 4/22/12 11:47 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Gary,

Walmart.com has the Body Fortress in a 3 tub bundle for $39, 97 cents shipping on each tub, so $13.97 a tub.  And you can pick your flavors (cookies & cream, strawberry, PB chocolate, chocolate, or vanilla).  They now have a 5 pack bundle that gives you 1 of each flavor, for $62, plus the 97 cent shipping, so $13.37 a tub.  Wanted to pass that along to you; the flavors are $14.99 at our Walmart, and vanilla is $13.99, so it's a fair bit of savings, considering my hubby and I both drink 2 shakes a day.

Keith,

To answer your question, my favorite RTD was GNC Total Lean Shake.  I was getting a great discount by being a repeat customer and pre-ordering every two weeks, but the store changed hands and customer satisfaction became secondary to profit.  However, if you can work out a similar deal, I was paying about $1.50 for each 14 oz shake, that had 160 cals 6 carbs and 25 g protein.  Now I use Body Fortress.  I've had all the flavors except cookies & cream and vanilla; I hate vanilla, and my hubby had a bad experience w/cookies & cream flavored protein and that is enough to keep me away!  I mix min in a good blender bottle with 8 oz skim milk and 8-10 oz of water.  I shake it good, then I let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, then shake the heck out of it again.  I can't stand any bit of not mixed powder, and I do better w/o it being ice cold, but my hubby just shakes it up and chugs it.  He is not a WLS patient though, just living healthier b/c I am.  

Protein supplements are expensive.  I was so happy when I could finally stomach powder protein, and my flavor needs became less picky.

Gina :~)

BethR311
on 5/3/12 11:15 am - Fort Wayne, IN
Climbing on the Body Fortress bandwagon. I was using Syntrax Nectar chocolate but when I saw the chocolate peanut butter at Walmart, I said, I gotta try that. I mix it in a blender bottle with unsweetened almond milk, a packet of stevia and a hit of sugar free chocolate syrup, also at Walmart.

Some people say Body Fortress doesn't have the protein it claims to have. I asked the nut at my surgeon's office and she says she uses a protein review supplied by Unjury! Now I don't have a college degree, but I know Unjury is sure as hell not gonna give an unbiased positive review of a competitor that sells for half the price!

I only do an AM shake now. If protein powder was my only source, I might stick with Syntrax.

I have never in my life bought or tried a ready to drink shake BTW. Too damn expensive.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Most Active