For those of us who never got to goal, how are you doing?

Star Jones
on 1/19/10 1:53 am - National Harbor, MD
My surgeon never set up a goal for me but another Dr said I should weigh around 150. Nope...too small for me. I like the size I am right now. I wear either a 10 or a 12 depending on the store. I'm a inch taller than you and this morning the scale said 170. So we're not too far apart. I think its all in how your carry it. You have done a fantastic job and I would be very proud. Even though the BMI chart says I'm overweight, I'm fine with it. The number isn't important to me! I'm healthy and feel good.

~Shani~
I've been pudgy, chubby, thick, and now fat........Imma give thin a go round!!!

SW-262, size 18W, 5'6"
CW-168 1/15/2010
GW-162
94 Lbs down...6 more to go...changed goal to see Onderland for a hot second!

ShelliH_DS
on 1/19/10 4:34 am - Barrie, Canada
Kerry:

I too never made it too goal.  I had my DS in April of 2008 I started out at 303 and I am 5'7.  I currently weight 188 pounds.  My lowest was 184.
I have struggled watching all those around me lose all their weight and I too sometimes feel like I failed.  But for the most part I decided to put it into perspective.  I have maintained a 115 pound weight loss!  I am happy!  I had to choose to be happy with me.  I am going ahead with plastics because I feel that this is me and I will probably never reach my original goal.  My tummy tuck and breast reduction and lift are next week!  Maybe some of us are just not meant to be tiny, but we are definately healthier than we were before.  I hope you can learn to love you for who you are because you have done fantastic!
Shelli

BBoop
on 1/19/10 5:52 am
I remember you very well.  I think you have done fantastic.  Seriously, you have lost a lot of weight.

I'm still struggling and I watch my carbs everyday...well, almost.  There was the Christmas Eve chocolate chip cookie binge I went on...I had three and had the worst gas imaginable.  It hung around through Christmas and beyond.  Ugh.

Anyway, I struggle and I have met my two year "window of opportunity" but I'm still trying.  Some comes off and some comes back on.  Why?  I have no idea...it just appears on the scale.  I'm still trying and I think I will for a long time to come.

Some people just slide down the scale.  I'm short and I still look fat...no two ways about it.  I'm not happy but I must say my diabetes is gone.  I'm still working on the BP and the sleep apnea...which I have turned way down.  I'm healthy and that's the important thing.  Are you healthy? 

Good to hear from you...keep coming here and learn about all the new foods and stuff to help you "stay between the fence posts." 

Bett
Batwingsman
on 1/19/10 6:18 am - Garland, TX
 Not well ..  Not only did I not lose the last 50 or so pounds, the past year or so my weight has slowly crept/yo yoed up ..  I was stunned to get on the scale yesterday and see it up 10 lbs. in just the last 2 days (maybe some of it is only fluid, I hope  )    I'm just 3 lbs. short of  "3-terville" (again)   

I'm really back on the protein bandwagon, as of yesterday ..  

The good news is I was talking to an assistant to one of our DS gurus, and was told by them that they have seen patients lose as much as 50 lbs. at even 10 years out, it's just a matter of diet & exercsie discipline (btw, this person's boss does NOT like to do revisions to the sleeve, and very rarely does) ..  I was not good at this diet & exercise stuff as a pre-op, but I guess I'll have no choice now .. 

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Paula Chapman
on 1/19/10 6:32 am, edited 1/19/10 6:32 am - Midvale, UT
Hi Kerry! 
I remember you so well!  I had my DS in September of 2007.  I weighed 355 lbs.  Today I weigh 175lbs.  I know that is no way thin.  But I really feel so different than I did at 355 that this is thin for me.  I personally do not believe in the 2 year weight loss window.  I will go along at the same weight for a few months, then lose a couple of pounds.  I personally think it is as much a head game as it is a body game.  I think the more you believe your body will do it for you, the more it does.  I do not think I am done yet Kerry and I do not think you are either.  We started out at a high weight.  Maybe our bodies just need more time than most to adjust and lose, adjust and lose.  If you need a partner to do a new program with I am totally available.  Don't lose faith Kerry!  WE WILL PREVAIL!!
Paula
ps- My Surgeon wants me at 135!

astepp
on 1/19/10 9:43 am
I have been feeling really down lately also about not making it to my goal by this time! I am currently at 171 and I was hoping to be to 150 or so. It is hard since I know I was eating to many sweets and carbs I hope that I did not ruin what was given to me. I have gone to a strict carb free lifestyle and trying to get back on track, so far it is going good but I don't keep any carbs in the house and will not buy any! My husband thought he was being sweet and he really was but he brought me home a Reese's cup last night and I put it into his lunch for today I told him to get me a slim Jim next time! so you are not alone it is a hard feeling to have but I am finding that coming to this site has really helped a lot!
Alicia
Catnip
on 1/19/10 10:03 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Kerry,

I am in the same boat -18 months out and not at goal, but I have to tell you about this experience I had this past weekend in Ottawa.

I went to a workshop at the Civic  where I got my body composition analyzed.

Looking at my body composition values my goal weight is 175 to 165,  Dr L's goal for me was 140. That is a huge difference,  so you might want to rethink Dr.L's goal for you.

At the workshop they made us plot out our weights at as we could remember them.  Then we looked at the "goal weight" according to our body composition.  It was very clearly pointed out to us that you have to be happy with what is realistic.  I now weight what I weighted in grade 9 or 10, before I got taller. I wore the high school jacket that i got in gradenine as a spring coat(the one that didn't fit by grade 11)  It isn't realistic for me to expect to be able to lose another 85 pounds (to get to Dr.L's goal)  And no matter how much I beat myself up it isn't going to happen without some seriously disordered eating and exercising.

If you want more info on the workshop, let me know,

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Dutchy
on 1/19/10 10:56 am - stittsville, Canada
Thanks everyone for your posts.

I admit every monday it starts .. no carbs for Kerry ..lol then Friday comes and its like Hmmm maybe a little treat here and there and then its back to being good Kerry on Monday, to be honest it is exhausting.

I have been exercising for the past few months weekly, sometimes three times a week sometimes just once a week, I love Zumba its a great workout and fun .. I need the kick in the ass to go, I like to tag team workout ..lol

I am trying, Christmas was brutal i went from 185 to 204.5 within three weeks i could not believe my scale it totally freaked me out, scared me and threw me into a depression, i asked myself could i really gain all this weight back? the answer was Yes i sure could if i kept this up.

It is really scary to think that all i have gone through to lose this weight could come back so fast.

So i am seeing my therapist again this week, i let that slide as well, i really believe i need to get myself mentally healthy and then my physical health will follow.

Oh and for the good news, losing 100plus pounds i don't have high bp or diabetes anymore, i do have high cholesterol so i take lipitor but that is in the family and it did not improve with all that weight loss.

I don't regret having WLS, I just got a little dose of Reality and needed to vent and share, I am very thankful for having this wonderful tool... maybe 150 pounds is unrealistic i don't know, i do know that mentally i cannot continue to put myself through this torture of thinking i am a failure, but that really has nothing to do with my weight everything goes so much deeper than that, know what i mean?

Oh and my little Catnip, lets do coffee sometime soon ok?

Hugs

Kerry

Ps... I agree Kerry is such a fantastic name :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 354 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 813 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views